Payslip New Payment defaults to clearing balance

I’ve just updated Manager to v19.2.68 (I updated from 18.6 or thereabouts) and I’ve never had a problem with payslips.
I’ve always created the payslip and then select the new payment button which fills in the correct Net amount to be paid in the New Payment edit screen.
Now, the amount that is defaulted in this edit screen is the balance of the employee clearing account, instead of the amount of the net pay in the payslip.

I should clarify that the amount defaulted is for the particular employee (corrected from “balance of the employee clearing account”)
Bug? or have I missed something in the update of Manager?

I will list this as a bug as the programme is assuming that it knows better then what the user wants:

You have an employee with the following transactions - current payslip and future repayable advance.

Previously, when you elected to pay a payslip

You clicked “View” and clicked “New Payment” and the payment auto filled CORRECTLY

Now when you do the same action, the payment auto fill INCORRECTLY assumes you want to pay the employee balance.

I think it is rather “arrogant” of the programme to tell the user, you may only want to pay the payslip but Manager knows better and this is what you will pay.

Yes, the user could edit the amount, but why should they - their instructions to the programme didn’t create the mistake, the programme’s assumptions are creating the mistake.

In fact, undetected, the programme could cause the employee to be under paid, if the user relies upon the New Payment voucher to make the payment from the bank. Why create this angst with employees.

Increasingly, Manager is taking on the persona that it knows best (e.g. cash v’s accrual basis).

1 Like

Thanks for replying @Brucanna.
This new process is very annoying and adds extra unnecessary steps. You now have to remember the amount you are meant to be paying (or press back button to look it up). Not being a ‘numbers’ person, it has caused me no end of grief especially when I made the actual bank payment before making the entry in Manager, an amount which was then incorrect, and which necessitated extra entires to fix up.
@lubos Please fix this!

1 Like

Initially the reason for the change was to make users to clear the balance of employee. I’ve seen too many businesses where payslips are issued but payments to employees are posted to some expense account instead of clearing employee account thus doubling up expenses.

In long-term, I was thinking to turn payslip into a statement where all payroll transactions would be automatically included. For example, payslip would automatically show underpayments, payments in advance, advance repayments, expense claims etc. After implementing this “statement-like” payslip internally, I realized it would be a lot more complex to work with for end-users. Currently payslips are “what you see is what you get” and that’s simple.

I still need to find solution so people naturally end up doing the right thing by clearing employee accounts but I came to conclusion, no matter what, New Payment button should auto-fill amount shown on actual document as it works in other parts of the program. So this is now fixed in the latest version (19.11.82).

1 Like

Many thanks for fixing this