Payment amount from payslips

A more important bug, in my view, is where you enter future-dated payslips and then try to pay one of them. The amount defaults to the total of all of the entered payslips instead of just the one payslip that you are attempting to pay.

I mentioned this several times - and just keep getting ignored.

1 Like

@clive, please do not divert topics with unrelated issues. This has nothing to do with end dates on recurring payslips or journal entries. It has been moved to a separate topic.

Future-dated transactions are entirely different from recurring transactions. The first already exists within the system. The second only creates a template for a transaction, and still needs to be created.

Either way, the act of paying an employee is not paying one payslip. It is paying that employeeā€™s balance due in Employee clearing account. This is not a bug. The program works as designed.

@Tut I disagree - the act of paying an employee is either paying one payslip or paying the amount due TO DATE in the employee clearing account. And there lies the problem - because if you enter 5 payslips of $100 each - one for each week in advance - and then try to pay the one payslip that is now due, Manager defaults the amount to the total of all entered payslips i.e. $500 - even those due in the future.
This is a bug - particularly when Manager never used to behave in this way.

Actually, under the bugs category there are two topics listed, both originated by you:

I agree, that payslip payments once worked perfectly but for some illogical reason this was changed and now users have to put up with the inconvenience of a flawed process rather than the previous efficiency.

Why do you enter future dated payslips rather than wait until the pay date arrives?

For the same reason that you enter anything future dated.
You could add the next years rent payments as an example - the landlords payslip.
Cloning them in a batch is more efficient then remembering to do individual entries

I use Recurring payslips a lot. I ā€˜m not sure how multiple future dated pay slips would help me.

That is not to say there isnā€™t a use case for it, I just donā€™t understand it.

I suppose if the employer was multiple pay periods behind in their payments it would make sense but that would not be tolerated by any employees I know. For a fixed term contract it could be used however a until date on the recurring payslip is a better solution. No Until date on recurring payslips or journal entries

2 Likes

It is an alternative to the recurring payslip, as the predated payslip automatically generates the transaction without needing to repeatedly action an individual recurring payslip.

For a use case, I provide this example:
You have a corporation (share capital) operated by one person. Their partner does the ā€œadministrationā€ for a fixed amount below the tax threshold. The predated payslips take up the expense in an orderly fashion. The actual payslips arenā€™t required. The payment for the ā€œadministrationā€ is on an ad hoc basis. Most importantly there is no need to remember - have to do a recurring payslip for this period.

There are other similar use cases (all legal) but I am not going to expand upon them here.

Brucanna
Thanks for the insight. Interesting I use recurring payslips for the similar reasons as you suggest future dated payslips. The approach I use is:

• Create a recurrent payslip for every employee who is paid fairly regularly. Set payslip to be generated on the last day of the pay period for that employee.

• Pre fill the recurrent payslip with what ever information is relatively constant for that employee. So casual employee have an hourly rate but blank hours. Full time employees have hourly rates and base hours but blank overtime etc.

• Manager reminds me when pays need to be reviewed (number of employees to be processed is shown).

• Pay period specific information is added when payslips are reviewed such as actual hours (or zero if they didnā€™t work), overtime or holiday pay etc.

• Recurrent payslips are updated as employee conditions change eg hourly rate, usual hours.

• Recurrent payslips are deleted when employee leaves and new entries created for new employee.

For a partner doing administrative work; I pay them on regular basis to comply with typical arms length employment requirements, so use a recurrent payslip. I assume by ad hoc you mean you donā€™t consider paying them on a regular (as defined by Managers recurrent payslip timing options) basis. Indeed pre-planned irregular payment intervals is something future dated payslips could do. Employer liability for future dated payslips has the potential for differing requirements.

For my use case I havenā€™t the need for irregular pre planned payslip intervals, so I think I might stick to recurrent payslips, as they appear to be more efficient to use.

4 Likes

@Patch, that is a great description of creative use of Managerā€™s recurring payslip settings to accommodate:

• Different pay schedules for different employees
  • Hourly versus salaried employees
  • Efficient entry of overtime
  • Part-time versus full time employees
  • Regular versus holiday pay
  • Raises or promotions that change pay rates
  • Terminations and new hires

In six simple guidelines, youā€™ve described a robust payroll management system for small businesses requiring minimal maintenance.

1 Like

Yes, but with the predated payslips the data is fixed so doesnā€™t need any reviewing.
Especially useful for non-accounting types where administration is a reluctant chore.

Correct. The payslip is a set amount but the payments arenā€™t. The partner may accompany on business activities (conferences), the business pays with the private proportion being allocated to the employee clearing account. Saves having to get reimbursed.