DESKTOP EDITION CLOUD EDITION SERVER EDITION GUIDES FORUM

Vat information on sales invoice

In a discussion with another user and after reading article 53(10), specifically points 7-9, of the VAT law it seems Manager doesn’t generate by default the proper format for VAT invoices in Macedonia.

I would like to consider to make a custom theme for this, but before I start doing that, can someone please clarify:

1. Is it possible to have tax code per line item even when there is only just one item on the invoice?
  2. Is it possible to have tax amount per line item even when there is only just one item on the invoice?
  3. Is it possible to have the sub total divided by tax code? (I think this is asked and answered, but I’m writing it again just so we can keep track of the discussion.)
  4. Is it possible to have a label saying “No tax” on line items where there is no applied tax code (instead of the - that is shown by default)?

Pinging @MarV so he can follow the discussion.

The answer to all your questions are - currently not possible.
However, before going down the path of a custom theme I would take copies of the current Manager style invoices to an accountant or the tax office for review. While the tax act maybe quite prescriptive, frequently, as long as the required data is clearly presented, albeit in a different format, then that is acceptable.

Not possible even with a custom theme?

I cannot personally see a way to do these things with a custom theme. You would need to modify the underlying code of the program that, for example, suppresses zero amounts, eliminates columns without discrete entries, and produces totals. This code is not exposed in themes.

The only thing you might do is choose one of the 0% tax codes that are built in to show for exempt items. That would display under any theme and trigger separate line by line identification of tax codes for other entries that all use your basic VAT code. Of course, that would only apply in limited circumstances. And all it would accomplish is replacing the hyphen with 0%.

You would need to modify the underlying code of the program that, for example, suppresses zero amounts, eliminates columns without discrete entries, and produces totals. This code is not exposed in themes.

This can be easily accomplished with simple on/off switch in settings. For ex. Always Show VAT% on Line, Show subtotals on VAT, etc… So you not imposing anything to users, but leaving a choice. Data is already in program, as we must write them on separate income accounts as different income by VAT%.

And all it would accomplish is replacing the hyphen with 0%.

It is acceptable to show 0% in place of NO VAT.
I personally took couple of invoices today in local tax office and ask for opinion from 2 different officers. Both have same reply.

1. Tax must be stated per line, no matter if it is only one line, no matter if it is 100 lines with same %.
  2. Tax base subtotals must be divided bu Tax % in case of multiple tax. Only VAT % subtotals is not enough.

@lubos My personal though is that exposing more variables and data to themes doesn’t mean that it must be used, or that every user will used. It could be leaved to user own preference. Just how would I do it.

So I was just wondering about this: I thought it is not likely that we have a VAT law different from the rest of the world (when in fact laws here usually are translated from established laws in developed countries).

And it seems that the Australian tax law has the same requirement as far as I understand it about tax amount per line:

I had no intention of specifically searching for Australian laws, but this is what showed on Google, and it seems relevant enough since Manager is being developed in Australia.

@novica, your link is to a draft ruling from several years ago. Actual requirements are here: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/Issuing-tax-invoices/. The final version only requires indication of the extent to which a supply is taxable, which Manager does. This is the more common requirement in most jurisdictions. Of course, a presentation of line by line tax amounts could also meet the requirement.

OK @Tut apologies. I stand corrected as far as Australia goes. :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, in our Macedonian VAT law, and Tax Office requirements and interpretation as I stated above this requirements is a must:

1. Tax must be stated per line, no matter if it is only one line, no matter if it is 100 lines with same %.
  2. Tax base subtotals must be divided bu Tax % in case of multiple tax. Only VAT % subtotals is not enough.