Upgrade/update deleted my accounts

I updated my Manager.io software and it literally deleted everything except interaccount transfers. All of my capital accounts are gone, all of my expenses, everything. I’ve been using manager since 2018, so I’ve lost it all. I desperately need to recover all of this information. What do I do?

You do not explain enough like from which version to what version, the operating system, the steps that you took, for example did you backup the business and reimport, etc. Without this no-one can help.

More importantly Manager does not loose information in databases when upgrading, that is always done through user mistakes in this case by you. So the more you explain what you did the easier it would be to get help resolving it.

I don’t know which version I had, but the version that I upgraded to is 23.1.11.592. I’m using a Windows operating system. All I did was download the app again. It renamed the business some combination of letters and numbers that was not the original business name. I did not reimport anything, because the update site says that if you just download the new version, it will roll all of the information from the old version into it. The only data that it rolled from my previous version is inter account transfers between two of my bank accounts. None of the other information got rolled forward. Is there a way to recover the information that did not roll in?

What version of Windows?

Also, what do you mean by “a combination of letters and numbers” ?

What version of Manager did you upgrade from?

There are specific procedures if it was a very old version

The fact you have one functional tab means your file is there and almost certainly not corrupted. The first thing to check is your date setup on the Summary page. The second is to tell us if the other tabs are present in the navigation pane. Show a screenshot. The next thing is to look at your History file to see if there are related actions that can be undone.

Be sure to make a backup before taking any action.

here are the images of my summary page and one of the accounts that populated. Every transaction other than inter-account transfers is gone. You will also see that the name of the company has changed to a bunch of letters and numbers, before it was the actual company name. Where would I look at my history file? Literally all I did was download the newest version of manager. The software performed the roll-over of data on its own.

sorry, here is the summary page

I don’t know what version I upgraded from, is there a place to find that information? This is windows 10.

You won’t like this response, @sevinn, but nothing you’ve shown demonstrates anything wrong. You started out this thread by telling us everything was deleted except interaccount transfers. But your screen shots show 8 tabs enabled. And you have successfully drilled down in the Bank and Cash Accounts tab on your Chase 6983 account. You say your capital accounts are gone, but the navigation pane shows you have three. And your file has 24 recorded journal entries.

Meanwhile, you have not followed my earlier suggestions or answered questions:

• First, you didn’t check your date setup. You are showing balance sheet figures as of December 31, 2021—over 2 years ago. And you show a profit and loss statement for 2021.
  • Second, you didn’t tell us whether other tabs you have enabled are present in the navigation pane at the left side of the screen. From your screen shots, we an tell 8 are enabled, but you didn’t tell us if any are missing. Without knowing that, how are we to tell whether anything is amiss?
  • Third, you didn’t look at your History file, which you view by clicking the History button at the top right corner.

In summary, what you have shown us is a business with a strange hexadecimal name. For all we know, though, that is the name of your business. The only strange things based on your revelations are that you appear to be functioning without receiving or paying any money except by inter account transfer. And for some reason, you seem to have a lot of journal entries relative to the scarcity of other transactions. But at this point, no one can tell you why anything is missing—if it is—because we have no information.

Remember, no one can see anything in your records unless you show it to us. If something is not available to show, you must at the very least tell us what that is.

December 31, 2021, was one year and one month ago. That was when I last did a profit and loss statement to file taxes. That year had income and expenses, as you can see on the summary, it is not showing any of that.
The tabs are enabled, but they are all empty, the capital accounts show nothing, and it should show a total of a little over 10,000. It’s not that the tabs are missing, it’s that all of my transactions are now gone.
I checked the history file and it is empty. As in, the middle of the screen literally says empty when I click on it.
The only way you know the name is weird is because I am telling you that. The original name of the company was present before the update, and the update is what changed it to what is showing now.

My bank accounts should show all of the deposits and expenses, checks written, cards used at home depot etc, but all it shows is the interaccount transfers. My issue is that every other transaction is completely gone. Please note that the summary states a profit/loss statement from 1/1/2021 to 12/31/2021. We had both income and expenses during that time that were all logged under the bank and cash accounts, but without the transactions we are now showing no income and expense. That is not what this form looked like before the update.

Please show the 1st screen when you start Manager with the list of businesses

Make sure you show the full screen

anb is a defunct business since 2019

also, the renamed business had 648 kb of data before the update

@sevinn, I am not saying this to be contrary. But you have still not shown or told us exactly what is missing. We don’t know what income or expenses the business had during 2021 or how they were entered.

Again, you tell us tabs are enabled, but not which ones. Specifically, are tabs enabled that do not show in the left navigation pane? If so, which ones.

This fact suggests the version you updated from was quite old, before the History feature was added.

You are right. We have only your word for this. But the behavior corroborates my suspicion your prior version was quite old. Business data files used to be named with a UUID—like that hexadecimal string you now see as the name of the business. This UUID was converted to the plain language name by the program for display. More recent versions of the program expect the data file to be named in plain languag. If yours wasn’t, because it was so old, you will see the UUID as the name. That problem can easily be resolved by renaming the business file, either with the Rename command link right next to it or in the application data folder (like any other file in your operating system).

In that case, you should have the Receipts and Payments tabs enabled. Do you? You cannot properly enter transactions involving the movement of money into or out of the business without them.

Database shrinkage is not unusual. The program automatically compresses the database, especially after its structure has been modified, as updates frequently do to accommodate new features.

Next steps

To further troubleshoot this, I suggest the following:

• Change the date setup on the Summary page by clicking Edit. Uncheck all options:

![Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 7.25.04 AM|585x500, 50%]
    (upload://nnldBZ6hPTNbdCFEmlhR9KPxED3.png)

The program should then display results of all transactions from the beginning of the business. Show us the result.

• Post a screen shot of what you see when clicking on Customize below the navigation pane. That way we will know with certainty which tabs are actually enabled. You will probably need to post screen shots of segments of the list, because it is so long.

• Navigate to the application data folder (at the location shown in the black rectangle at the bottom of the opening Businesses page. Post a screen shot of its directory. Also confirm whether you have ever modified this.

• Import your most recent backup, making sure before you do that it has a distinguishable name. (Please tell us you are keeping regular backups on a separate drive. That is the only way to recover from data loss or corruption.) Tell us whether the backup includes what you describe as the deleted transactions.

The thing is @sevinn, you probably upgraded from a very very old version of Manager as concluded by @Tut.

Manager is a “rolling release” software – much like most other software nowadays, and this means that older version are not compatible with current versions.

Your best bet is to locate a backup or rollback your data file to an earlier version and then do incremental updates to your Manager software.

Thank you. To your first point, I can’t tell you the income and expenses, because manager is where all of that information has always been kept, so I have no way of knowing what is missing without redownloading my bank statements and redoing the books for the 2021 year.

Tabs: it looks like all the tabs I always used were there. The bank and cash accounts tab shows both of my accounts, but when I go in the only transactions showing are the interaccount transfers and all of the other transactions, deposits, credit card/debit card purchases, etc are gone. the inter account transfer tab just shows the same transactions as the bank and cash accounts. the employees tab is empty and just gives the option to add an employee. The capital accounts tab shows the capital accounts, but they all show "0"s and when I open one it just has a box in the middle of the screen that says “empty”. The journal entries tab shows some transactions, but when I open them there is no useful information,just a date and description.

History: dang! Does that mean I’m out of luck on the lost data?

Name: I’m not as concerned about the name, I was just surprised that it changed it at all, thank you for addressing that.

I have never used a receipts and payments tab. I’ve always just imported the bank statements and worked directly off of those. I would just mark the transaction as income or expense and it automatically sorted it into the correct field on my summary/profit loss statements. Do I actually need to use those tabs?

Data: thank you so much for addressing this, that makes a lot of sense that compression would save room. I appreciate you explaining it.

It wouldn’t let me attach more than 3 at a time, so I will put all attachments separately after this.

I clicked the black box and this is what came up. I have never opened this or used it before. I have never made any changes here. I’ve actually never seen this option before the current update.

uhhhmmm, finally, import my most recent backup. I’m not gonna lie here, even though I know I should have, I never did do a back-up, in fact, I only just in the past two days saw that there was a backup button. I will be more diligent in the future. If I’m SOL, that’s on me.

Thank you so much for your time and input, I really appreciate it. If it turns out you can’t help me, I can always re-enter my last two years of bank statements, but I’m praying you may have some work around to recover whatever failed to roll over with the upgrade.

I wasn’t asking for specific transactions. I should have clearer about that. I was asking what type of transactions are missing, such as payments from a bank account, receipts into a cash account, etc. We still know nothing about what you think is missing. Really, @sevinn, you need to help us out here.

You didn’t do this.

That’s not very helpful. I asked for the actual screen shot of the Customize list. That’s the only way to tell if something is corrupted, that is, not showing up when it should.

You didn’t do this, either. You posted the directory of some folder named Screenshots. That folder may be hidden, so you may need to copy and paste the location into the file explorer.

Yes, based on your Summary page, it should be. Did you ever create employees? From the limited information shared, there would not seem to have been any reason to, because you are evidently not creating payslips or paying expense claims to employees. So once again, it is impossible to know if anything is wrong because you are not providing information.

That doesn’t necessarily mean anything, because we don’t know what the members’ capital balances should be, other than zero. You have not mentioned any contributions of capital, distributions of earnings, etc. All we can tell is that you have created 3 capital accounts and, sure enough, they are present.

Probably. If the History file is empty, that means you cannot undo an accidental deletion. But my suspicion is your previous version was so old the program was not keeping track of such actions. So that is probably a moot point. And if you didn’t keep backups, you are out of luck.

This is probably the crux of your problem. You cannot import bank statements without creating receipts and/or payments. That’s what the import process does. Statement imports are just a way to avoid manually entering receipts and payments. I honestly have no idea what Manager does if a statement is imported without those tabs being enabled. Perhaps it tries to make sense by treating them as inter account transfers, since you have that tab enabled. Or perhaps it generates zero-value journal entries. You have really gone to Neverland by doing that.

A final question before I throw up my hands. Are the 20 inter account transfers plus 24 journal entries representative of the total number of financial transactions you have entered? And did you actually enter those, or were they generated automatically?

1 Like

how do i rollback my data file?