Transactions disappeared

I have identified at a lot of transactions have disappeared going back to 2015.

I noticed this because the balances on the bank transactions weren’t corresponding with the actual bank statements. I know they did previously because I sent customers invoices annually and statements bi monthly and they would’ve been jumping up and down had the statements and invoices been inaccurate at the time.

The last date I updated this particular business was 31st August 2017.

Thanks.

What version of the software are you using? And when did you last update?

Another user made a similar complaint a few months ago. That problem turned out to be related to the splitting apart of bank and cash accounts and transactions at version 17.8.3 in August 2017. You may have previously had bank accounts incorrectly categorized as cash accounts by not checking a box in the account definition. Cash transactions do not appear on statements. So your missing transactions may be hiding in a cash account you thought was a bank account. To get them back, convert the cash account to a bank account. See this Guide: Manager Cloud.

If that doesn’t resolve the problem, please give more details.

Thanks for the quick reply. I use the online version. Should it be updated also?

I have a quick look and the transactions aren’t in the cash account. What’s strange is that there are some transactions appearing between the dates but here are some of the;

Missing Debits €
23Jul2015 - 500.00
24Aug2015 - 975.45
31Aug2015 - 112.66

Missing Credits €
19Jun2015 - 100.00
23Jun2015 - 300.00
29Jun2015 - 200.00
30Jun2015 - 100.00
02Jul2015 - 100.00
28Jul2015 - 200.00
31Jul2015 - 5000.00
18Aug2015 - 100.00
19Aug2015 - 100.00
24Aug2015 - 50.00
01Sep2015 - 100.00

This may not be all of them. I decided to hold off checking all transactions from Jun2015 to present. Hopefully this is enough to help work out what happened.

No. The cloud version is always up to date.

Unfortunately not. Your list doesn’t tell anything about what is in Manager. So let’s explore with a few more questions. For clarity, please number your responses to match the questions:

1. Why do you think the transactions are missing? In other words, where are you looking?

2. Are the missing transactions all in a given date range? If so, what is that range?

3. Did you previously use the desktop edition? If so, when did you start using the cloud edition? And are all your missing transactions prior to when you started using the cloud edition?

4. If you previously used the desktop edition, did you ever change the application data path from its default location?

5. Have you ever stored your data file anywhere besides where Manager puts it automatically?

6. Have you ever lost your data and had to restore it from a backup?

What I am now trying to determine is whether you somehow created two versions of your business and have placed some transactions in one and some in another.

Also, do you have more then one bank / cash account, if yes, are the missing transactions only related to one of them.

I note your comment “aren’t in the cash account”, where it would have been expected “aren’t in the bank account”.

What bank / cash account tabs do you have listed under the Summary tab ?

When I receive a hardcopy bank statements for a bank account, I key the transactions into Manager. The last statement I had was Aug 2017. I key the transactions, make sure the totals reconcile to the bank statements and subsequently send the customer statements to customers.

When I checked the account balance for 31 Aug 2017 in Manager against the bank statement for the same period, the figures where different. (Manager Balance = 2920.95, Bank statement balance = 3892.95)

From 31 Aug 2017, I then started checking back on the balances to until the balance amount on the bank statement matched the balance amount on Manager. All amounts did not match right back to 11 May 2015. I immediately knew then that something was up.

So, when I started checking each transaction on the bank statement to manager, it was obvious the reason the balances didn’t match was because transactions had disappeared.

The issue appears to have started around 11 May 2015 because the balances on the bank statements match the balance on Manager up until around that date.

Yes, I previously used the desktop edition. I don’t know the exact date I started I using the cloud but it looks to have been on Feb 2017. I have transactions on this company going back to 01 April 2015.

1. No.

2. No.

3. No. I don’t recall ever needing to.

1. No. I have one bank account and on cash account.
  2. I was referencing the comment from Tut that he knew of a case where the transactions were in the cash account. So I checked and the transactions weren’t there.
  3. I have one Bank Account and one Cash Account in the Summary tab

Some of these steps may seem obvious, but remember, I don’t have access to your records, so I’m flying blind. These comments will use the same numbering system already established:

1. Your second post listed a bunch of missing debits and credits. Please don’t be offended, but I have no idea of your level of accounting experience. Most users would not speak in terms of debits and credits on bank transactions, because Manager does not use those headings under the Bank Transactions tab. The transactions themselves are referred to in the program as either receipts or payments. So where did you get your debit/credit terminology? (I ask this because it is possible you are looking in the wrong place.)

Moving further on the same subject, when you described looking backwards at balances until you discovered where they started to diverge, which column of what screen were you looking at? This is really what I was asking in my very first question. In other words, what tab, what drill-down report, etc.? How did you get to wherever you expected to find the transactions listed, but where they were not?

In the past, when you say everything was OK, did you actually produce reconciliation statements? If so, do you still have them? If not, how are you able to say that everything was OK back then? (I’m not saying you can’t, I am asking what you did to satisfy yourself they were OK.)

2. Are all transactions after 11 May 2015 missing until some more recent date, or are only some missing?

3. When you made the transition to the cloud, exactly how did you do it? How did you move your data? And just to extra careful, can you confirm that when you said you used the “online version” you meant that you have an account for which you pay a monthly fee and you log into your account using a web browser? (I want to make sure you don’t mean you are using a version of Manager you downloaded from somewhere “online.”)

Prior to using the cloud edition, do you have any idea how long ago you updated your desktop Manager software?

4. No more questions.

5. No more questions.

6. No more questions.

7. (A new topic area.) In your original post, you said that you sent customers invoices annually and statements bi-monthly. How were you able to send statements if you had not entered invoices? Customer statements only list sales invoices and receipts posted to the customer’s subaccount in Accounts receivable. What is your actual workflow?

8. (Another new one.) You mentioned in your response to @Brucanna that you have one bank account and one cash account in the Summary tab. Actually, the Summary shows only control accounts for bank and cash accounts, so if you had 20 of each, you would still only see Cash at bank and Cash on hand. Can you verify how many accounts you have showing when you click on the Bank Accounts and Cash Accounts tabs?

Tut, I think I’ve solved it. There are two places where a date can be entered. It looks like I used the same date (07th April 2016) in the same date field to add a lot of transactions for 2015.

I think when I started to use Manager, I used the date: 7th April 2016 to enter a number of transactions in 2015. This was convenient because I’d no need to reconcile bank statements to date pre 7th April 2016.

Anyway, I went through all the records and enter the correct date in both date fields on the payments. This obviously meant that the payments I thought had disappeared, were not correct in the transactions.

Although it doesn’t explain why the bank statements didn’t reconcile to the transactions post 7th April 2016, Im not concerned because it’s accurate now and its 2:15am. :slight_smile:

Goodnight/morning

Thanks for your help

Well, I’m glad you’ve figured it out. So I can understand what you did, can you post a screen shot of one of the transactions, annotated to show which date fields you are referring to? Or at least describe the fields. Do they have labels?

The reason I ask is that misdated transactions would certainly produce errors in reconciling along the way. But by 31 August 2017, your statement balance in Manager should have matched the bank’s statement. In other words, time would have overtaken and passed your entry errors, which were for 2015-2016.

Here is a screenshot of the two date fields I was referring to.

Manager is going to sort and process a receipt based on the field labeled Date. That field always populates automatically with today’s date when you enter the receipt, although you can edit it if you are entering past transactions. The other date is optional, and records when the transaction cleared at the bank. It is used to improve the display under the Bank Accounts tab, which will show (when appropriate) Statement balance, Pending deposits, Pending withdrawals, and Actual balance. Depending on how old your desktop edition of Manager was, you might not have had that feature available.

When you don’t enter anything in the status date field, or if you had an older version without that feature, everything is transacted as of the Date field. And when you moved to the cloud edition, everything would be considered to have Cleared status, even if that had not been entered in an older version. (That avoids discrepancies between what is now shown as statement balance and what you might previously have had.)

So I believe what happened is that your “missing” transactions were simply out of date order. You said you stopped checking when you got to June 2015. Had you continued, I think you would have found them, as you apparently did since you edited them. This could have been confusing also if you had some transactions marked as Pending, but were looking at a drill-down report of the Statement balance column. Pending transactions would not have shown.