Upgrade/update deleted my accounts

This is an OS feature, for example if you enable restore points in Windows, you can rollback to one of these restore points.

Sorry for the delay, The forum wouldn’t allow me to upload everything you asked for and told me I had to wait to reply to messages or upload any additional documentation because it said I was sending too much for a “new” person. I have uploaded them now

Income was cash/check deposits into the business account (they showed as ATM deposits prior to the update). Expenses were on the credit card and debit card as well as some bank to bank transfers. These all appeared as things like "HOME DEPOT CHARGE $xx.xx. I just imported my bank statements, so every transaction came in the same way my bank tracked it. All transactions only appeared because I downloaded and imported my bank statements. Nothing was manually entered. Every transaction I ever did in my bank account and on my business credit card previously appeared in either the income or expense category, as well as in the cash accounts. The screen grab that I posted of the accounts only shows interaccount transfers, so every other transaction is gone.

Thank you for letting me know how to do the application data folder, here it is.

The capital accounts should have around 10k in them (those were all logged in the statements downloaded from my bank as account transfers, but then recategorized as capital contributions)

The final question, no, the 20 interaccount transfers do not even come close to the number of transactions that were originally entered. There were hundreds of transactions on each account previously. The 20/24 transactions are only between the two cash accounts, they were generated automatically. I have never once entered a transaction into manager manually, I have only ever categorized the transactions that were imported off of my bank statement.

So, to be certain, I’ve hit a dead end? Do I need to re-download and re-categorize my past few years of bank statements to get an idea of where I’m at? There’s no way to recover the data that was originally in Manager?

If not, I too will throw up my hands and simply start over. Taxes have already been filed for 2021, so I guess it’s not the end of the world. The only problem is that I have no idea of the values of each capital account at the close of 2021, and three members of the LLC that will not know how much the company owes them.

You cannot. Backups made by older versions will open in the older versions. But once opened by a newer version, you cannot open the business. That is because database structures are changed when features are added.

thank you, I know how to do that! I will see if that fixes it.

What you describe—at least the way you describe it—is impossible. Anything deposited to a bank or cash account is a debit. That must be balanced by a credit, for example, to an income account. But that happens through a receipt transaction. You simply cannot receive money without the Receipts tab. Likewise, payments are posted as credits to a bank or cash account and must be balanced by a debit, for example to an expense account. But again, that happens in a payment transaction. You cannot enter payments without the Payments tab.

Not without the ability to receive money, they weren’t. A contribution of capital requires the receipt of money from the capital account owners. Without the Receipts tab, you cannot do that.

As I already told you, importing bank statements just creates receipts and payments. Once again, without those tabs, you are fooling yourself. I have no idea what you were actually doing. Nothing you tell us makes sense. But you aren’t going to resolve this, because the data is not there. So you might as well start over. But read the Guides first.

So the transaction would come in uncategorized and then I would recategorize it as “expense:phone” or whatever it was. If it was income in, I would categorize it under income and then label which of the services it was for. I didn’t have to do and balancing, it automatically showed up in the income and expenses categories, maybe it was just that way on the old version (I only use Manager once a year to do my taxes, so I hadn’t updated it since January of 2022). When I would click on the transaction it would let me recategorize it there, it didn’t make me offset it in the way you are describing.

The same is true for the capital accounts. I would go onto the transfer in on my bank statement and adjust the categories for capital contributions. I wish I still had the old version so I could show you what I did, but I never used receipts or payments tab, I did all categorization directly from the transaction in the cash account, and the software always balanced it correctly.

I appreciate your help, and I’m sorry I can’t show you the old version and how I was doing it, but the software never had a problem with the way I was doing it (and I did it for years). My end of year books always balanced, and all of the transactions always showed up.

Thank you again. I will get started on re-entry.

Actually, i was able to find a picture from the other account I have on there (also old, but it kept all of the transactions as they were and has no errors).

this shows the main page, and then when i click edit on the first transaction, this is what i see.

It looks like there are payments and receipt tabs on this one, but I never used them. It must have just put the information in when I adjusted the original entry on the cash account. I’m not sure why all of the transactions moved over with one business, but not the other. Maybe it was just an error when it tried to roll-over. Oh well, I’ll just make sure I back up after I do the taxes this year.

You just proved my repeated point. Your anb business has the Receipts and Payments tabs enabled. So bank statement imports worked.