How do I bulk import my lists (customer list, for example) from QBO?

I am excited to find an accounting package that does what QuickBooks Online does and then some at a more affordable price. Manager Cloud Edition is so much more customizable! My challenge is the amount of historical data that I will need to enter into Manager. It would make it so much easier if I could import it from Excel in a CSV (comma-separated values) format.

Any thoughts on this? I would really appreciate any pointers on how to go about it.

Read the guide about Batch Create here: Use Batch Create and Batch Update functions | Manager

Whatever about importing customers, suppliers, inventory items from one accounting system to another, the effort involved in importing and verifying historical transactions is generally too great to be useful.

In most cases, the new accounts start off with the closing balances from the old accounts and build up a history from there

1 Like

I was thinking of doing that. I was wondering if it was going to be worth the effort too. Thanks!

@Joe91 i don’t agree with you. It rather more useful to carry history into a new system.

Thanks for your reply. I suspected that and tried to but I was not sure what would be the format of the data that I was supposed to copy and paste from my spreadsheet. Like how many columns and the names of the headers. Customer name, address, email, phone number, closing or balances, etc.

• Manually enter some data into Manager. Include a range of entry types.

• Start a batch update, look at the data in your spreadsheet program. The data format of batch update is identical to batch create except batch create does not have the last field “Key” (which is the UUID of the record)

• Use the above format data to assess the cost of you converting your existing QuickBooks data to Managers import format

Yes, Abeiku. That is exactly the reason I want to import data from QBO. There are a lot of valuable insights to be gleaned from historical data in day-to-day decision-making. I would regret losing all that wealth of information.

If it is doable, well and good. If it proves to be an ‘impossible’ task I will get practical and start at the beginning of this month manually.

You can easily import transactions into Manager using Batch Create operation as recommended by @AJD .

Practice it in a dummy company first.

The effort to import historical transactions will depend on the volume and complexity of the transactions

Multi line transactions such as sales invoices, purchase invoices, cash payments and cash receipts can be complex and difficult to format correctly, especially if you are not adept at using Excel to transform data to the correct format.

Once imported, the data will then have to verified versus the previous accounts and Bank Reconciliation, Tax Report rconcilations carried out. Entering new transactions before the necessary verifications and checks are done will complicate the task and make it diificult to ensure proper records

I agree that it is very useful to have historical data but only the user can decide if the effort involved is worth it.

1 Like

It is doable, but how much effort you can justify investing in it will depend on your skills and the value you place on your data.

These threads may help Can I import data from Quicken?. How to batch import in manager - #11 by Patch. Import data from Tally - #7 by Patch