BANK RULES changes

Whats going on with the bank rules feature that comes up. I did have all my set bank rules in play, and was happy to allocate the unusual transactions in bulk(usually to owner drawings) but I no longer have the capacity to select a bulk amount of entries to allocate as such because the square tick box is faded out ( making it not an option to tick in it) and now I have to individually allocate all the transactions. Ive got some clients who I know will be on the phone to me very soon protesting this.

So for your use case, it’s impossible to create one or a few bank rules which would satisfy categorization to Owner drawings? Why would that be?

The idea of forcing bank rules is that you wouldn’t need to keep ticking off transactions every time you import bank statement. Once bank rules are set, the system can simply suggest how transactions should be categorized based on bank rules and it’s just 2 clicks to confirm.

so, the ability to bulk transact is no longer an option then? I agree in principal with this change, but when there are a high volume of entries that are often "one of:, can you see the extra work this has now created?
Example? one of my client works all over Victoria- he uses his eftpos (bank account ) for both private and business- that alone is not unusual- so when he fills up for petrol at a shop in the middle of tarnagulla, and another shop in the middle of dunolly, and another shop in the middle of castlemaine-( and there will be about 20 of these fuel entries alone a month) all being “fuel” purchases, I now have to go into each one just to mark it off as fuel- in the past, I would bulk enter the lot under Fuel. And as far as private purchases go, there are approx. 100 of those all from shops that will probably never be revisited…?

OK, here is what I’m thinking.

When bank statement is imported, first you will categorize all “easy” transactions using bank rules (once bank rules are set up, this process should take a few seconds).

The remaining transactions will be still sitting in Suspense account. This is where new “find & recode” tool fits well.

“Find & recode” will allow you to see all transactions still in “Suspense” account and bulk categorize them into any account, tax code etc. So it’s essentially what you’ve been doing except “Find & recode” is more powerful in a sense it will allow allow to recategorize already categorized transactions too. This is useful to fix mistakes. For example you might realize there are 50 transactions where tax code should be different or where account should be changed, you will be able to do this.

One thing I didn’t like about bulk categorization in its previous form was that it was too easy to make a mistake and there was no easy way to fix mistakes other than editing transactions one by one. So putting more emphasis on bank rules and creating new “find & recode” tool is going to result in much better workflow.

You are a good Man Lubos! Thats fantastic!! So, tell me, where do I find the “find and recode” tool or is it still in the making? Thanks again

It will be added today. I will update this topic.

thank you so much!!

You can find Find & recode button under Bank accounts tab in bottom-right corner.

For now, if you want to show only transactions still in Suspense account, you will need to type “suspense” into search box.

Anyway, this is the first implementation so have a look and let me know your feedback.

1 Like

Hey Lubos,

Just checked out the new “Find & Recode” feature. Good stuff. It will certainly come in handy.

Will it ever be possible to bulk update the Description and the Contact using this feature?

Yes that is fantastic Lubos- even better than it was and thank you so much for your extremely fast responses and professionalism- Seriously,I just love the program

I am going to have to look into this bank reconciliation thing. I have been manually reconciling my bank transactions by reading whats on my banking screen and whats on manager as I am nervous about messing things up. Maybe I should give it a go.

Hi

The Recode option is a nice step forward. It has saved me a load of manual entries. As already, it supplements bank rules. It cannot drill down beyond Capital Accounts to the Sub Accounts, though, which would be very useful for me. I hope this can be incorporated into future versions.

Thanks

Martyn

Lubos. I want to get this straight before updating the software on our system. Does this change in bank rules affect the way uncategorized payments are displayed with the View button at top of a bank account page?

This is very useful for us and I hope this ability hasn’t been lost in a new implementation of bank rules. I fear that a find and recode button and searching for Suspense account transactions will only complicate our workflow unnecessarily when everything is working so nicely for us now.

We don’t use the bulk transfer function but do use the edit button for each individual transaction in this display where we don’t want to have a bank rule categorization. An example is for gas receipts for different vehicles that can only be categorized manually.

It’s nice to have the view box of these uncategorized transactions reminding us to check our receipts and payments that cannot be handled by bank rules and properly categorize them and when the view box no longer appears we know we are done.

I was brave enough today to just try the latest version. Everything still works the same for us as before. Thanks for your help.

Just found out differently! Imported a file from the bank and instead of bank rules automatically categorizing transactions as before I now apparently have to go through them one-by-one and click on them to verify my bank rules! This is awful! I hope there is some way to turn this off! What’s the point?

If you must have this change, at least have transactions with bank rules defaulted to checked on status to reduce clicking and then perhaps an accept all button to bulk update (all completely unnecessary in my opinion).

You can tick the checkbox in the table header and it will check all transactions at once.

What I want is not to have to ANYTHING for transactions with bank rules as was the case prior to this latest version. Checking ALL transactions at once is not a solution. It only means that instead of clicking the ones I want, I will have to unclick the ones I don’t want. The point is, after setting bank rules to get rid of categorizing transactions, they have all come back forcing me to effectively deal with them all over again. Our bank moves many many transactions each and every day back and forth between our bank account and an attached credit/loan account to reduce interest payments to the bank. Manager bank rules as previously implemented made this tracking problem insignificant for us compared with other accounting software packages making bank statement imports a snap. What was once a very nice situation has now become a nightmare again. AAAAgghh!

That’s not how it works though. When you use the upper checkbox, it will select only transactions which can be categorized using bank rules. No “unclicking” is needed.

The difference between previous method and current method are three extra clicks after bank statement import to have bank rules applied.

In exchange for these three extra clicks you have greater insight how transactions are categorized and you can create new bank rules and have them applied on already imported transactions (this wasn’t possible under old method)

I agree that the new bank rules creation and back categorizing is a good idea although I have no use for it myself. What I have to contend with is a screenfull of transactions that I don’t want to and already have great insight about their categorization. I would be better to just have the choice to opt out of this unnecessary complication rather than to have to mindlessly click them off every time I do a bank import. Or just have them appear by clicking them “on” when you might be interested would even be better.

Actually the steps for doing a bank import could be improved if Manager could somehow be set up to recognize which bank import file goes with which Manager bank account. If Manager would then ask for confirmation before importing. This would help prevent downloading a bank file to the wrong account or at least my having to keep track of it myself.