Unable to move invoice from Suspense to sales

I was wondering why my 1099-MISC from a client was showing a different value than my Invoices. After a little searching I found two of their invoices listed as in Suspense rather than Sales. I must have neglected to change the Account to Sales when creating the invoice. Unfortunately, I am unable to change them to Sales, even though I have marked them as paid and they do show as Paid In Full in Invoice View.

How can I move them from Suspense to Sales?

You don’t move the sales invoice itself. You must move the line items within it by allocating to an income account. Your explanation is hazy, but you say you “marked them as paid.” You don’t mark a sales invoice as paid. It changes to a Paid in Full status when you have received adequate funds into the Accounts receivable account and the Customer’s subaccount. See the Guide:

https://forum.manager.io/t/receiving-money/7820

If that doesn’t fix things, have a look here:

https://forum.manager.io/t/troubleshooting-the-suspense-account/7106

From the Summary tab, click on the Suspense account blue balance and this will list the transactions, then click Edit next to them and amend the Accounts field.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Brucanna, the Edit option is greyed out for those two transactions.

Tut, by Marking as Paid, I just meant that I used the normal Receive Money process as I did with every other transaction I’ve made, and the Sales Invoice shows a zero balance and it indicates Paid In Full. Which is why it’s puzzling me that these two transactions are in the Suspense category. I just compared them to adjacent transactions (even with the same client) and they are identically recorded, with the exception that the two are showing in the Suspense account rather than Sales.

Ok, what if you go to the Sales Invoices tab and locate the transactions there, is the edit button available to be used.

Do all your Sales got to the same P&L Income account ?

Yes, the Edit button is available there and I can get into the invoice to edit every field except the Account field (the one that’s showing Suspense). It is greyed out and when I hover over it, I get that circle with a line through it.

All Sales go into the same account (I have only one Bank account in Manager).

What I can’t figure out is why it thinks it’s in Suspense, when it’s showing a $0.00 balance and it shows as Cleared in the status field.

As mentioned in the Guide I linked to earlier, are you set for accrual-basis accounting?

I’m using Cash based rather than accrual. It is set up that way in Summary → Set Period. I’m a one-person service business with no inventory.

In two successful (and otherwise quite happy) years of using this, this is the first time I’ve encountered this. Weird.

I meant P&L Income Sales account, not bank account

Its in Suspense because Manager (for some reason) doesn’t understand the Account that was entered into that field. It has absolutely nothing to do with it being paid /cleared / or any thing else.

Was the P&L Income Sales account that was used on these invoices your normal or a special P&L Income Sales account.

Change to accrual basis and see if you can then edit the transactions. There is no risk to data, and you can change back. When in cash-basis mode, there can be some complex interactions in the program that coincidentally only existed when these two invoices were being processed.

Also, be sure the invoices involved are not dated before a lock date, if you have set that. (You might want to verify that under Settings.)

Yeah, I went back and read that part of the Guide and just tried doing what you suggested. I changed it to Accrual-based, went back to the transaction and that Account field is still greyed-out and I can’t change it. All the other things in the Suspense account are expenses that are not transaction-related, and that’s fine. These two invoices are the only ones in Suspense, and that’s why they’re not accoiunted for in my end-of year total, despite being paid in full.

No its not, there should never, repeat never, be anything in the Suspense account - if there are then those transactions contain entry errors and need to be corrected.

How can expenses not be transaction related - please explain ?

Anyhow, before heading down that path lets resolve the Sales Invoice issue first.

You haven’t answered this question - Was the P&L Income Sales account that was used on these invoices your normal or a special P&L Income Sales account. (ie, the same income account used for all other invoices).

Once this known, then a solution can be provided.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the question, I have only one P&L Income sales account. I use the same account for all transactions.

And just to be clear, those expenses are things that are not related to a specific transaction. That is, things like a ream of paper, lunch with a potential client, a piece of software to use in my business, etc.

Thank you, perhaps your reference to the bank account before confused me when reading your previous response.

It would appear that Manger (rather then your input) for some unexplained reason is not recognising the sales account entered on those sales invoices - hence the greyed out edit. Why I needed clarification with regards to the P&L Income Sales account was to ensure that it wasn’t a P&L account itself that was causing the situation.

So the solution here would be to deleted the transactions at fault and then re-create them via the following process.

1. Go to the Cash Received entries for those Sales Invoices and note down all of their details - date, etc
  2. Delete those Cash Received entries.
  3. Go to the Sales Invoice entries and note down all of their details
  4. Delete those Sales Invoice entries
  5. Re-create one of those Sales Invoices using the noted details and then verify it has been processed correctly.
  6. if all is ok, recreate the other Sales Invoice and then recreate both Cash Received entries.

Thanks. I was thinking that may be one way to handle it, but I wanted to be sure there wasn’t something obvious that I was missing. I half tempted to restore from a previous backup around that time just to see if it exhibited the same problem then.

Thank you to you and Tut for your help and suggestions thus far.

This distinction is immaterial. As @Brucanna has said, no transaction should ever be in Suspense. All those expenses should be properly allocated to expense account, such as Office supplies, Meals and entertainment, Software, or whatever.

The only reason Suspense exists at all (and sometimes I wish it did not for all the trouble it causes) is so you don’t lose data. Manager is just storing your mistakes until you fix them. The underlying design philosophy is to minimize the possibility of lost data, regardless of the reason.

They are allocated to a specific Expense account, just as you suggest. I meant they are not associated with a specific job for which I generated an invoice. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Then why did you state “All the other things in the Suspense account”

If I click on the blue number next to Suspense in the Summary → Equity, I get a page that shows, let’s say 50 entries. For all entries except two, the Transaction column shows Expense Claim. If I click the Edit button on any of those Transactions, it shows the Expense Account to which it belongs. i.e, Entertainment, Office Supplies, etc.

The two that aren’t Expense Claim show Sales Invoice under the Transaction column.

Ok, so on the Expense Claim you haven’t entered a Name in the “Payer” Field