Unable to move invoice from Suspense to sales

BTW, I really do appreciate yours and Tut’s help on this (and your patience). Sometimes I feel like I’m trying to communicate in another language. I guess I’m not so well-versed in accounting-speak.

That’s correct. I have not entered a name in the Payer field.
Payee: yes. Payer: no. Is that a big problem?

Yes, as it is causing the Suspense entries which shouldn’t exist.

What do you want to do with those Expense Claims, reimbursement or equity contribution.

What accounts do you have in the BS Equity section.

Okay, I guess I’m officially in over my head. I have no idea what you mean by equity contribution and don’t know what you mean by BS Equity section.

The only reason I track the few expenses I have is to deduct them against my income at tax time.

I’m going to study the Guides a bit more. I’m discovering that Manager is way more powerful than I need for my simple purposes. However, I really do like its capabilities (even though I obviously don’t use them the right way).

I’m going to try your suggestion about deleting and re-entering those two transactions I’m having issues with. At this point, I don’t think I can screw anything up much more than I already have. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Ok, you have obviously paid for these expenses out of your pocket money, do you want your pocket money to be reimbursed or you don’t need /want to reimburse the pocket money.

The BS Equity section is where the Suspense account is showing it probably also has an account called Retained Earning - does that section have any other account names.

EDIT: you may have also used a credit card in addition to the pocket money to pay for those expenses.
If yes, then you could also if you wanted to, reimburse the credit card instead of the pocket money.

Nope. Just Retained Earnings and Suspense.

And I just read the part of the Guide that explains Expense Claims. I made myself a Payer and edited all those expense transactions to show me as the Payer. Now all that’s in the Suspense category are those two Sales Invoices.

EDIT: I just now figured out that BS is Balance Sheet. Oy.

Excellent, and now there is a balance in the Expense Claims account in the BS Liability section just above the BS Equity section.

Once you have resolved those two sales invoices in just a matter of deciding of what to do with the Expense Claims balance - then it plain sailing from then on.

Yes there is. Thanks.

I still can’t figure out the issue with those two sales invoices. I’ve double and triple checked them and everything looks exactly the same as every other sales invoice.

BTW, what do you mean by just a matter of deciding of what to do with the Expense Claims balance?

Expense claims is a liability account. The business owes the money to you. That liability can be cleared by the business reimbursing you directly or by transferring the liability to an equity account (a capital or owner’s equity, depending on the form of organization).

Thank you for the clarification.

Don’t bother trying to figure it out - just follow the process detailed above.
Its probably just the way the computer stored that particular data - perhaps the binary got knotted.

Do the invoices follow each other or are they separated by other invoices ?

Okay, I figured it out. And of course, it was (my) operator error.

In the process of deleting and recreating those entries, I discovered the culprit. For those two invoices, the Non-Inventory Item I selected had set as its default account Suspense rather than Sales. It was an obvious oversight when I was creating my items when I first started using Manager. That was the only Item set that way, and it was only those two jobs that used that particular line item.

I edited the Non-Inventory Item accordingly, recreated the invoices and all is well now. If only I had thought to check that first, I wouldn’t have had to bother you guys with this craziness (nor would I have had to delete and re-create the invoices).

Once again, a big thank you to both of you for your help and patience!

Thanks for the feedback - it gives us an expanded knowledge base that could be called upon again.
If nothing else your understanding of Manager has expanded throughout this “painful” process.

Also, are you now comfortable with the Expense Claim process and how to treat the balance.

If you want to repay your pocket, withdraw cash from the bank (ATM) and use Spend Money with the Account being “Expenses Claims” to record it. It doesn’t have to be the whole balance

If you want to repay your credit card, either by transfer or deposit, use Spend Money with the Account being “Expenses Claims” to record it

If you want to leave the funds in the business, then the balance should be transferred to the BS Equity section. Initially, I suggest you open an account there called “Owner’s Funds” and use a Journal (Debit Expenses Claims and Credit Owner’s Funds) to transfer the balance.

If you are going to leave the funds in the business, that Journal only needs to be done every six months or only at financial year end, not after the entry of each Expense Claim.

Or you can do a combination of all three - pocket money, pay credit card and transfer to Owner’s Funds.
Absolutely your choice.

To clarify - using your business bank account

Thanks for that info. For the time being, I’m going to take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that I got one issue squared away. But your information about how to treat expenses is very helpful. Like I said, it looks like I have some followup studying to do with the Guides.