Ubuntu ManagerServer - problem getting started

Thank you for some terrific software which I have been testing on a desktop.

I am now keen to run on a server and have followed the instructions to install the server edition.

I can run the ManagerServer, but cannot connect to it using a browser. I get a timeout.

I am running Ubuntu server V14.04.4 LTS

Mono version:
Mono JIT compiler version 4.4.1 (Nightly 4.4.1.0/4747417 Wed Jun 22 11:14:49 UTC 2016)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  amd64
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen

Is there an error log anywhere to see what may be going wrong?

I have tried running at different ports, but makes no difference.

I have checked the running processes and managerserver.exe is running.

Any suggestions?

What I would try is to install some general purpose web-server (e.g. nginx), start it on the same ports and see if you can connect to it. If you can’t, then the fault is in the server itself rather than in Manager.

Hi, Thanks for the response.

Apache is already running on port 80.

I am happy to try nginx if you think it will help solve the issue.

Can you try Apache on some different port (e.g. 9999) to see if it’s accessible? If it works, stop Apache and try Manager Server on port 9999.

Thanks tremendously for your quick help. It was an IPTABLES thing - allowing port 80 and nothing else.

Moving apache up to 9999 gave the clue.

Apache now runs at port 80 and manager at port 8080.

It might be worth mentioning iptables in the ubuntu install notes. Also I had to deviate slightly from the notes to add ‘sudo’ in front of every command to make the manager directory, download and unpack manager.

Thanks again for your help