Supplier Summary report question

I think is a bug. where I defined the range of dates from 1/1/2018 to today’s date that is 3/10/2019.

Internal Error

19.10.3 (Server)

/supplier-summary-view?Key=fcf83abd-4fa5-4bfb-9f81-3fb145d7bb1e&FileID=3eb9efb8-9f67-413b-89a5-8f1d84725890&Referrer=f49179a2-dbb4-4870-a98f-0211a403e72d

System.Exception: SupplierAdvancePaymentsOpeningBalance
  at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Business.Reports.SupplierSummary.SupplierSummaryView.GetViewModel (Manager.Model.SupplierSummary report) [0x00304] in <377b18f9a7744888a5c683aca8d262fc>:0 
  at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Business.Reports.Report2`1[T].GetViewModel () [0x00037] in <377b18f9a7744888a5c683aca8d262fc>:0 
  at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Business.Reports.Report2.Get () [0x00000] in <377b18f9a7744888a5c683aca8d262fc>:0 
  at HttpFramework.HttpApplication.ProcessRequest (HttpFramework.HttpRequest request, HttpFramework.HttpResponse response) [0x000ae] in :0 
  at ManagerServer.HttpApplication.ProcessRequest (HttpFramework.HttpRequest request, HttpFramework.HttpResponse response) [0x00763] in <377b18f9a7744888a5c683aca8d262fc>:0 

when I try to use Customer Summary report with the same range of dates. It shows as I expected it would be.

Update: When I shift from start date 1/1/2018 to 1/2/2018 it works.

So it has something to do with starting balance.

You need to furnish more information. Did suppliers have opening balances? If so, were they unpaid purchase invoices from before the start date? Or were they available credits?

ok… I think I found the issue, It relates with starting date.

What I did to this company account, its already a mature company they just looking for a bookkeeper that can update the accounts monthly so I took the job to key-in brought forward balances from previous financial period by insert it 1 day (31/12/2017) before starting date from audited reports, so it shows as opening balance in manager. when I generate financial reports starting at 1/1/2018.

I suspect it the supplier summary report could not or even tries to reference transaction before starting date thus the error. How ever I do insert 1 debtor with brought forward balance. still couldn’t figure why it does not happen to customer summary as well.

change start date to 1/12/2017, supplier summary works.

Customer and supplier starting balances have to be entered as invoices with a date before the start date.
I think your start date should 01/01/2018

1 Like

yes that is what I have set earlier on which cause the error. a bug.
sorry typo, not 1/8/2018, its 1/1/2018 originally

This is not a bug. You need to understand how starting balances for Accounts receivable and Accounts payable work, as well as how the Customer/Supplier Summary reports are designed.

The invoices dated prior to the start date are used only to set balance sheet figures. That is so you would be able to get an accurate balance sheet on your start date. But the way they do that is to post the unpaid invoices on your start date, regardless of whether they are dated one day or ten years before. So the start date should be the date the business started using Manager, not some prior date to make reports come out the way you think they should. Starting balances should match closing balances from the prior accounting system.

The Customer Summary and Supplier Summary reports only summarize activity recorded in Manager. Therefore, there is no opening balance for customers or suppliers in situations like this, because there was no prior Manager activity. The starting balances will be added to other invoices, giving the correct closing balance. Another way to think about this is to realize you cannot expect an accounting system to summarize activity that was not recorded in it. And pre-start-date invoices are not recorded in the conventional sense. As stated above, they are only used to calculate a starting balance, that is, a balance on the start date. Conceptually, this is a little different from a balance at the instant you begin using the program.

As with any report, it is essential to understand what the report is designed to provide, as opposed to what you expected it to provide.

You are right. But somehow @lubos has to fix it. You cannot have a system crash with a debug error.

I cannot reproduce the error. I tried. Can you, @Davide?

I had some error issues with this two reports that were linked to dates and I’ve already reported them. My specific one were solved by @lubos but it seems that they are still there. I’m not the developer and sincerely I don’t have time to try to reproduce them. Lubos, with a backup of the business, can look into it much quicker.

The keypoint here is @tut. Customer Summary, does not have the error despite I keyed in as balance brought forward, why it only happened to Supplier Summary?

However, I viewed the error as low priority since it works if set the start date earlier. For the sake of consistency and potential issues might related, I decided to highlight regardless. As IT tech savvy, small bugs is a symptom of systematic risk down the road.

@lubos do you need the data?

If Manager shows error message that says Internal Error, it is always bug. @acecombat2 if you can send me the business file where I can reproduce this error to lubos@manager.io, then I will be able to fix this.

sure.

Fixed in the latest version (19.10.6)