Summary of Expense Claims Tab

I need to see the summary while sorting the expenses claims from its tab, like amount’s totals and transactions count. This’d be very helpful.
I can use expense claim report for more details but I’m using sorting just to count and sum a specific transactions while viewing the tab.

1 Like

What summary are you referring to? If you are referring to viewing the Summary tab while working in the Expense Claims tab, you can open a second Manager window. Procedures vary, depending on operating system and edition. Search the forum for instructions relevant to you.

I originally thought you meant the total (summary) of the amounts. But after @Tut’s question I went and checked and the total is already there.

So …

As you see There is only sum of a custom field. But there is no sum for the sorted transaction’s amounts.

1 Like

@Tut I mean if I sorted the tab view I can see the sum of the transactions like payments tab for example.

The Expense Claims tab is just a list of claims. It has no financial significance by itself. Your screen shot shows that you have searched for a specific claim number, which will always return only one claim, so no total is needed.

If you want to know the total of claims owed to a specific individual, the way to do that is to drill down from the Summary page on the Expense claims account balance, then the individual’s name. Both stages show totals. The second step shows running balances, too.

But, you will ask, why not show totals when searching or sorting the Expense Claims tab? The answer is that the results might be entirely unrelated. For example, if someone searched for an expense claims payer’s name, you would get every claim ever submitted in their name, including those that have already been reimbursed. If you search for a date, you would get every claim entered on that date or mentioning that date in the Description field. If you search for a reference number, you would get every invoice, receipt, payment, and journal entry with that reference number that happened to post to the Expense claims account. In all these examples, a total would be meaningless. Worse, it could be misleading.

In choosing content for any display, the developer must consider not just your isolated case, but every other user who might be using the program a different way. Totals are only shown where the context makes them consistently relevant.

I didn’t read your answer yet, but I was staring on your name while you’re writing your reply for more than 2 minutes and keep saying “long reply from dear @Tut means more troubles for you Ehab :rofl:
Now I will read your reply

That was for example only but what I’m doing is typing a short text in description of some transaction like “G21101911456” when I search for this text it will give me all transactions contain the text. Here what I need to know the sum.

You are right, but all your fears also happens while doing the same process in the payments tab or sales tab or any other tab show the sorted transactions amount’s total.

But Tut, this will make the tab consistent with other tabs.

Since expense claims are now the ugly duckling, shouldn’t we be wondering why expense claims totals are of any less importance than say invoices?

2 Likes

@lubos could be agree with us :blush:

1 Like

It seems that it has fallen behind other developments such as it only has a “Clone” and no “Copy to” button.

The copy function is primarily for creating transactions in the sales and purchase workflows. Expense claims are neither, but establish liabilities with entities who are neither customers nor suppliers.

Clone and copy to discussions were clear and resulted in their establishment. We use expense claims mostly for travel expenses by our employees. These are often the same but obviously, dates vary, and occasionally some line item amounts in the line item list of eligible expenses. So similar to sales and purchases a copy to new expense claim is as defensible as clone has been, which is already there for good reason. The request is about the consistency of implementation of these functions and similar use cases (changing dates).

@lubos kindly advise.