Server edition hosting

Ok thanks for information
please check your email now for contact

Hello Compuit,
Itā€™s up to 12 hours now and Iā€™ve sent an email

@xxxxyy - can you please stop posting personal/private contact information on the Forum.
If you must send this information to another forum user, please use Private Messaging.

Hi proclaim. Thanks for your contribution s. I have been waiting for you to finish your wiki.

Nice :grinning:

Hello everyone
After a long absence due to studies, I am revisiting this forum and hope to provide some guidance if anyone finds their way to this page.

Digital Ocean:
I did not use Digital Ocean or any other hosting service though it should work similarly, but you will probably need more than the basic know-how.
As clearly indicated by other contributors above, this forum is for questions relating to Manager Software. If you do not have the required IT skills and need a quick solution, Manager does offer a cloud version which solves all these problems for you.

Update on my project and some general guidance:
I have been successfully hosting my server over the internet for a while now and other businesses have been using it.
To clarify, you would need access over internet only if the end users will be logging in from different locations (without vpn).
Its helpful if you create invoices on the go etc. I must say Managerā€™s mobile responsive page is really nice in this regard. My clients find this very useful as well.
There were some hiccups along the way but I learned a few valuable things which I expect to help others with.

*There are several decisions you need to make along the way depending on your needs and these will determine what will need to be done.

*If you are hosting using your own hardware (e.g. at home/work), static ip will be handy. Otherwise there would be other complications e.g. use Dynamic DNS or deploy some other solutions.

*I have been able to host using Raspberry Pi as a test and it worked fine.

*I am now using Virtualization on my server and it has been flawless.

*I have been able to implement encryption using a self generated certificate (snake oil) which the users have been happy to trust. I did look into LetsEncrypt but never got around to finishing that. Will update on this in the future once I get around to it.

*I wasnā€™t able to host Manager Server using the domain hosting I mentioned, because the domain hosting provider ended up disabling my OwnCloud due to their policies etc. Anyway, I migrated Owncloud to my server as well and its useful in conjunction with Manager for saving accounting records etc.

*Instead of using IP, I can access my server through a domain name which I simply pointed to my manager server.

*As a top level guidance, you will need to prepare the Operating System first and then deploy Manager Server. Next step would be to see how you will be able to access it via internet.

I will look at the Wiki and see if I can make any contributions there.

I hope this helps. Feel free to post topic related questions here or message me otherwise.

3 Likes