Sales order custom title in email summary

Dear Team,
Kindly guide me how to change the title in email summery preview of sales order.

Before creating this topic checked the form and referred guide https://www.manager.io/guides/7877 for changing title of sales order it worked.

That’s not possible.

@Ealfardan Thanks for reply,
Requesting development team to kindly include Custom title in sales order as it’s in sales quote and sales invoice.

Else if possible, please provide us with an short code of View button in email summery to include in our email template.
@lubos

I think what your request is reasonable, the email title should show the custom title instead of the tab name.

I think this should be in ideas or bugs.

I think it will be in #ideas category but not to be in #bugs category.

@hmdaadil, the reason this happens is that custom titles for sales invoices and sales quotes is that the titles are changed on the Edit page of the transactions. That means the revised titles become part of the transaction record. In the case of sales invoices, this is to accommodate requirements of the law in some jurisdictions. In the case of sales quotes, this is because quotes are used for different things, including pro forma invoices for import/export situations. Both are external-facing documents. So the modified titles are picked up when reviewing emails.

A sales order, however, is an internal document, not meant to be seen by others. Yes, you can change the title displayed with a custom theme. But that does not alter the transaction record itself. As far as Manager is concerned, the transaction title is still “Sales Order.”

Actually I was using sales order as Retainer Invoice by making changes in template (title | replace: “Sales Order”, “Retainer Invoice”).

Usually We give Sales quote, once quote is accepted with its reference I create Retainer Invoice (Sales Order) with 60% of Sales Quote and add it to Account receivables with client name. Once project is completed again generate retainer invoice with 40% of accepted quote values. Once received 100% payment from client, we create a Sale Invoice.

Not sure is there any plan to have Retainer invoice module in pipeline.

What you wrote does not make sense. A sales order, no matter what you call it, does not affect accounts receivable. You need to create sales invoices for that.

I just create Sales order(Renamed as Retainer Invoice) to collect payment. Record it using Receipt.

That is a customer deposit - check the guide Record customer deposits and advances | Manager

Thank you all for responding,

This is my orginal query, and got to know “Not Possible” from @Ealfardan immediately.
So let’s either move this topic to Ideas or since Title is changed to Retainer Invoice using costom template but still it’s not reflected in email summery means move to bug

It is not a bug, because the program functions as designed. And as a moderator, I will not move something to the ideas category that involves improper use of the program.

@hmdaadil the reason why it is not accepted as an idea and will not be changed has been explained by:

In short the Sales Quotes and Sales Invoices are documents you sent to customers (external facing) while Sales Orders are only sent to other people in your business (internal documents).

Even if a Sales Order is used internally, it still can be sent by email. So the email should reflect whatever title the user assigned, otherwise the email would show one document title but the document itself says otherwise.

This isn’t consistent.

@Ealfardan surely you can agree that this is improper use of a Sales Order. I am also curious what other names people would give to those internal facing documents that would fit a sequence. I erred myself wanting Sales Orders to be treated in the same way as Sales Quote and Sales Invoice and realized that there was no need.

I completely agree with both you and @Tut that sales orders aren’t invoices. But, they’re not exclusively for internal use.

There’s been lots discussions on how users use SOs to confirm customer POs – which isn’t uncommon:

https://forum.manager.io/search?q=Order%20Confirmation

In those cases, possible names could be “order confirmation” or “acknowledgment” or something like that.

My point is that if we can email the document its title in the email should match its internal title.

After all, we have the ability to retitle a sales order and we have the ability to email a sales order. It only seems fitting that these two features play nicely together.

My point was that you are not retitling the transaction. You are putting a different name on a display of the transaction with the custom theme. There is a functional difference.

Dear Team,
Is there any plan to introduce Retainer Invoice as it’s available in other Billing applications,
Or atleast Is it possible for development team to include custom title in sales order as in sales Invoice and Sales Quote please.

For my business, It’s essential for have following.

1. Sales Quote (As in Manager)
  2. Retainer Invoice (Trying to retitle Sales Order using template or Have custom title)
  3. Sales Invoice (As in Manager).

If I have option to hide that email summery and just include View button short code, I could use manager as it is today for sending Retainer Invoice as email to client.
But even after retitle the sales order to Retainer Invoice, the email summer shows as sales order that’s not the right thing when customer receives it in email.

Example scenario 1.
I have given 3 Quotes(100022, 100023, 100024) to same customer for change in Qty of requirement. Now only one is accepted say example quote number 100023 is Accepted. Other two I’ll mark it as cancelled (100022 and 100024)

So when I copy the accepted Quote(100023) to sales order,
I create Sales order(200055) and send the sales order(200055) as Retainer Invoice(200055) to customer for payments. Only after receiving payments, I create Sales Invoice by Copy to sales invoice from Sales Order(200055)
I generate the Sales Invoice with tax details.

Till receiving the entire payment from customer I don’t give Sales Invoice(Tax invoice to customer)

In the above scenario, I know which invoice is Accepted other two marked as cancelled. I have raised the Retainer invoice for payment, after collecting the payment if I copy to invoice it shows order status as Invoiced. And in invoice I could able to have both Sales Quote(100023) and Sales Order(Retainer Invoice)(200055) number for reference along with sales invoice number.

Current status.
I have disabled Sales Order for now since not compatible with email when sending to customer.

Now I have created custom field in Sales Quote called (Type with option 1. Quote 2. Retainer Invoice. ) Internal reference document not printed.

To create any Quote, I create the Sales Quote from manager with Type Option 1 Quote and don’t make any changes in Custom title. Send it to customer without any issues.

To create Retainer Invoice, I create Sales Quote from manager with Type Option 2 Retainer Invoice and enable Custom Title as Retainer Invoice for title of document and email summery. Send it to customer for payments.

Now issue is since both documents created from Sales Quote(Quote and Retainer Invoice) I am facing following problems.

1. Couldn’t connect both the documents to sales Invoice.
  2. Previously was maintaining two sequences of numbers for different documents like Quote starts with (1000xx) and Retainer starts with (2000xx)
  3. Now i am not clear which quote is accepted and to connect with Sales invoice for reference and to make accepted.
    Else every time after receiving the Retainer Invoice payments I am marking Sale Quote(Custom titled Retainer Invoice) as cancelled. Else actual accepted Quote shows expires.

Kindly suggest.

This is not how to account for income when using normal accounting procedures (accrual accounting) - the income is generated when the goods are sold or services delivered. The Sales Invoice should be created when the service or goods are provided.

Only if you are using cash accounting would you treat receipts as income

The other posters have already advised on your procedures and have indicated that they are not standard accounting practise. I suggest that you reconsider your accounting procedures in line with their suggestions

Yes i completely agree with this point. We have made this structure within our company like -

Quote than Sales Invoice if client paid 100% of Quote amount. Else
Quote than Retainer Invoice (to collect payments as advance based on guide https://www.manager.io/guides/7093) than Sales Invoice when full amount is received.

Reason why we follow the above method is,
In India we have to submit all the Sales happen for previous month say February, has to be filled by 10th of March we call it GSTR 1 filling,. Following to it by 20th of March we have to pay the difference Tax amount(Tax received - Tax paid) called as GSTR 3B.
So in our past we had some bad experience like we issues the sales invoice but client don’t pay it before the due date and they take time like 1 to 3 months for making full payment. But I am forced to pay full tax amount irrespective of i collected the payments from clients. In worst cases they have even closed their company’s.

Example: I am in 18% Tax slab, if I make a sales of ₹1,000,000 per month. I am liable to pay ₹180,000 to Government as a Tax, Irrespective of i received ₹1,000,000 from my client, Failing to pay. Ill be paying fine/late payment fee so on to the Government. If didn’t pay for couple of months my Tax registration will be cancelled.

Based on all the above scenario, @Tut and @lubos Kindly just reconsider to have option of Custom title for sales order as in Sales Quote and Sales Invoice. Yes I agree sales order is a internal documents. But in my case I don’t have need of such documents for now. So it’s fine for me to make small tweek to the program using custom theme or make changes using custom title to provide Retainer Invoice which is currently not in Manager.