Restore Backup data

You also should update according to this Guide on a Mac:

https://forum.manager.io/t/installing-or-updating-desktop-edition-on-macos/7116

And understand that you can never open the backup files directly. You can only open the Manager application itself. Manager will call the data from your previously created data file. (None of your data is ever stored in the application, but in a standalone file.) Or you can import a backup file. But for ordinary software updates, you never touch the data files or import. You just install the update the same way as the original and carry on.

Hi,

I have just formatted my computer and was trying to restore the backup. What i observed during the import was that i can import only one file at a time. This way it creates many businesses in Manager with different dates. Perhaps, i can rename all the files excluding the date, but it wouldn’t show the true picture of the business for the period. Is there a way to import all the files into one business ? Kindly help me…

If you are importing a back up file, you only need to import the latest dated backup file.
Each backup file is accumulative, it’s the whole business, not just the data from the previous backup.

HI ,

When I restore from backup to another PC , some of the accounts are mission and hence total does not match
e.g amount which shows as supplier credit is coming as accounts payable in restored version

How to check that we are using same version of manager on both the computers?

Regards,
Vijay

Go to About Manager - top of the screen

Your backup must have come from a very old version as the change in Suppler Credits happened some time back.

But the important thing now is this - if you are going to be using both computers with Manager then they need to be both on the same version. Any data you enter now on the “new” PC won’t be able to be read by the “old” PC if it remains on the old version.

Ok thanks , I have been using version 16.5.60 but now new manager installed on new PC is 16.10.91
now how to transfer data on new PC

also old PC operating system is windows 7 and new PC is windows 8

Pl advice , on the solution to use old data on new PC

Regards,
Vijay

Both Windows operating systems are supported. That will not be a problem. But it is very important to follow instructions below to be sure you are not taking further steps with data corrupted by your use of two different versions of Manager with the same data file:

1. DO NOT OPEN MANAGER YET ON EITHER MACHINE. If you do, you might create problems that cannot be fixed.

2. Make sure your previous backup file from the old machine is safe. This is the one that has not been modified and is your most reliable backup, because it was called by only one version of the program.

3. Update both machines to the very latest version. As I write, that is v16.12.45.

4. On the old machine, launch Manager and create a new backup. Unlike your previous backup, this one should have a date in the title so you can distinguish it from other backups. Create this backup on a drive that will be accessible to the new machine. A USB flash drive will work. Or use a DropBox account or a network drive.

5. On the new machine, launch Manager and add a business from the backup you just created. The business will have a name that includes a date for now.

6. Verify that the two machines are now showing the same results when comparing the old machine with the old business name and the new machine with the newly added business with the date in its name.

7. Assuming everything is OK, remove any other versions of the business you may have imported to the new machine. Rename the newly imported business on the new machine to get rid of the date.

Understand, as @Brucanna told you, that the automatic account structure for Accounts payable/receivable and Supplier/Customer credits has changed. Reading some of the Guides about invoices, paying and receiving money, and deposits will help you understand.

Thank you so much …Pl advice on how to update version of manager?

Click on your edition at the top of the forum page

Ok Thanks, Will try and update you

Its Done …Thank you

How can i re store backup
I have manager on two computer , my lap top and my deck top .
i have some data on my desk top but now i need to transfer the data from my laptop to be installed in to my desktop on the same business accounting books so my desktop can be up to date . is there a way ?

Click on the Guides button in the top banner to find the instructions

Thanks but it does not help me.
i dont see anywhere where is say i can back up data into an business that is already there.
im trying to back up data to incorporate it in the a business that is already on manager.

You cannot merge data from two different installations of the program. You can only transfer a complete backup file from one machine to the next. If you need to work on two different machines, you should probably be using the cloud edition. Or you could set up your application data folder to a cloud service like Dropbox, in which case you need to be careful to only use one machine at a time.

This is the Guide that was referred to: Backup, restore, import, and transfer businesses | Manager