No localization for existing business

A Dutch user contact me for help and I can’t find the solution.

In july 2021 this user created a new business. In the business details the field country was not filled in.
Neither did he import the Dutch localization file, so the standard Dutch Vat -codes are not in Manager.
Now I tried to import the Dutch localization file/details by clicking the country-code in Business details and nothing happens. I’m on Manager version 22.1.3. Does anyone have the solution for this problem.

Kind regards,

Hennie.

In this case there is different mechanism to link up their tax codes with country-specific tax report.

First of all, they should see country-specific report after selecting the country.

But this report will show zeroes. To link it up with their existing tax codes, they need to select correct reporting category when editing their existing tax code.

However, for Dutch and 4 other countries, I still need to finalize transition into reporting categories. There are no reporting categories yet. Instead, there is a custom field (the bottom of the form) which needs to be filled in.

@Lubos,
Thanks for the answer. I entered the proper VAT-codes and now it is working. However I have a new problem. This user made VAT-payment(his tax-bill) to the tax-authorities, The VAT-payable account doesn’t show up in the selection drop-down list. when I want to book this bankpayment. Small bug???
Kind regards,

Hennie.

You need to create custom balance sheet account for tax amounts. Then select this account on every applicable tax code.

The default tax account is not usable directly. It’s just a placeholder until real account is created.

Thanks Lubos. Problem solved.

Can you please indicate when this will be an actual account? It works OK but the problem will arise when people need to select it in a journal entry when a payment to or receipt from the tax authorities has to be posted. Then they realise that this account cannot be selected and there will most probably be a great number of posts asking a question about it on the forum. (You know most new members will not use the search before creating a new post).

Another thing is that a newly created account will not be translated when changing language for an employee who doesn’t use (in this case) the Dutch language. And both accounts will appear on the summary page when the option Exclude zero balances is not selected. Or they appear both when someone asigns, e.g., the 21% rate to the newly created VAT account but forgets to asign the 9% rate to it:

I wonder why it is a ‘placeholder’ in the first place because it just creates confusion?

Sounds to me like something which should be done in the localisation for each country. That way new users can just load the localisation and it works.

Well, when creating a new business with (in this case) the Dutch localisation, there’s a ‘placeholder’ VAT payable account i.s.o. an actual VAT payable account. It works just as the actual Tax payable account but:

1. a starting balance cannot be entered,
  2. it cannot be deleted/inactivated,
  3. it cannot be selected in a journal entry.

that looks to me like the localisation does not include a VAT tax payable account so Manager is forced to use the Manager temporary default tax payable account.

What I was trying to suggest it localisations not be written like that. Instead the localisation include

• a specific “VAT tax payable account” with a local language name.
  • Tax codes in the localisation are set up to use the specific tax payable account.

The aim is for the localisation to deliver “a” working solution out of the box. User can then enhance it as they get more experience but not have to fix quirky set ups first.