Mandatory to select customer name while creating a sales invoice

While creating a sales invoice please make it mandatory to select the name of the customer from the customer drop down list ? Because if one misses to select a customer , the invoice is treated as a cash invoice with full payment done.

I agree, the system needs to make it more obvious if customer is not selected. I have it on my to-do list.

3 Likes

Itā€™s still nice to have the capability to create a cash invoice, for times when a quick sale is needed to a casual buyer who will not become a repeat customer. Rare in my world, but it happens occasionally and it probably happens more often in other business sectors.

Invoices without names attached are also completely ignored, for tax purposes at least.
None of my tax reports were anywhere near to adding up, then I realized it was only working for named customers. Spent a little bit of yesterday putting in a few names.

Actually, I cheated and created one placeholder customer and attached that to all unnamed invoices.

1 Like

The latest version (16.4.70) makes it more obvious customer has to be selected on sales invoice. This should avoid confusion why invoices without customers donā€™t affect figures in inventory or in general ledger.

Could this also be extended to Supplier names on Purchase Invoices??

Yeah, I will make it work the same way on purchase invoices, credit notes and debit notes. Just want to wait a few days in case there is some fundamental issue with this change before rolling over to other parts of the system.

This implementation will take some time getting used to, since I was really used to the old way of entering a sales invoice. I was also a bit disappointed to see the qty column remain empty after I picked a sales inventory item.

Beside my moaning, some remarks about this topic:

1. When you have a custom field, which normally resides at the bottom of the invoice, now showes up below the customer/address field. After you choose a customer it returns below the template box. I expected this custom field not to show up before entering customer.
  2. When you enter sales invoice items and then press the ā€˜Xā€™ next to the chosen customer, the whole downside of the sales invoice disappears until you again choose a customer. This is functionally right but looks strange in my opinion.

Custom fields are associated with the invoice, not the customer. If you have set the custom field to show on invoices, it will, irrespective of who you select as the customer.

Hi @Tut,

I understand, but thatā€™s not what I mean. The custom field is, with this new version (16.4.74), direct visible while all other entry fields besides the top and customer are not. Below is a screenshot where Test is a custom field, usually shown at the bottom of the sales invoice form.

I hope this makes it more clear

I understood completely, @Hans. The point is to prevent people from entering invoices without specifying a customer.

Hi @Tut,

Iā€™m glad we understand eachother. :grin:

I only wanted to point out the appearance of the custom field at a time of entry where I did not expect it.

Maybe this topic enables the possibility to be able to create a sales invoice from within the customer view, like you can create a credit note from sales invoice view mode. That would probably involve having a view button on the customer list screen where there is now only a edit button.

Iā€™m not sure I understand what you mean, @Hans. Since you would be displaying customers, a View button would only show an uneditable version of what is on the Edit screen. I donā€™t see the connection to either custom fields or sales invoices. What am I not understanding?

Hi @Tut,

Iā€™m sorry it has become a long read.

Since customer is now mandatory, would it not be a good idea to be able to create a sales invoice from the customer detail view. Then you have already chosen a customer, which could then be prefilled on new sales invoice.

Benefits are that you have more search options in customer list view, because you can search all columns, which can include custom fields being displayed as a column. (e.g. Birthdate, Postal-code, Firstname, ā€¦) instead of only name and reference code from within sales invoice.

Problem is, that thereā€™s only an [Edit] button and no [View] button on the customer list view, like some other modules (Customers, Suppliers, Employees, Inventory tems ā€¦ ) and you need to be in viewing mode to use a button like [New Sales invoice].

But having a [View] button could also benefit a possible future permission implementation. The buttons could be displayed by permission. Iā€™ll explain with a current example and one how it could be.

Current example:
when you grant a person only viewing rights, you see the [Edit] button and even [New (module-entity)] button and modify everything, but you cannot save your modifications because it reads at the bottom "Administrator has disabled ā€œUpdateā€ and ā€œDeleteā€ buttons.

Could be example:
when you grant a person only viewing rights, you see no [Edit] button, because [Edit] button column is not shown, and no [New (module)] button either. You cannot make modifications and donā€™t see blured-out ā€œUpdateā€ and ā€œDeleteā€ buttons. However you do see a [View] button.

Thanks, @Hans. Your desire is clear now. These sound like good ideas. In general, I think the more ways one has of getting to the desired information or transaction entry the better, because the application can support more workflows. I have no idea if these things would be easy or hard to implement.

@Brucanna, the latest version (16.5.1) requires customer/supplier to be selected on purchase invoices, credit notes and debit notes just like on sales invoices.

@Hans, the latest version (16.5.1) wonā€™t show custom fields until customer is selected.

@Tut, @lubos I have to rectify my previous post a bit since I discovered a means to easily create new sales invoice from customer list view.

You can create new sales invoice from customer list view by clicking on the link in Sales invoices column of the customer list view. This will show you all invoices already created for customer incuding balance due, so you can immediatly see if your customer has unpayed invoices. From there you can use the button New Sales Invoice and have customer prefilled.

This way all benefits of searching the right customer are met. Itā€™s an ideal workflow for a POS (Point-Of-Sale) business. Even better than the one I suggested.

@Hans Great tip!!! Thanks.

Hi
If invoices now depend on customers, it no longer makes sense to be able to enable or disable these modules separately.
I was a bit confused, having a small project where I do use sales invoices, but customers module was off.
I could not open my invoices any more, and was a little startled!

Yes it does make sense, as many business only operate on a cash basis so they donā€™t require Customers/Suppliers & Sales/Purchase Invoices tabs.