Lost everything. Help Please. I am desperate!

Thank you I will try that now and report back shortly

Click the Start button, and type Reliability History. Click on it in the list.

When the Reliability Monitor opens, see if there are any error messages related to Manager. It will also tell you which apps were updated today.

I can login that way!!!
Now what do I do? You say I can use the server version. How do I do that?

It says I need to buy the server edition. What does it cost?

Reliability History shows lot and lots of Failed Manager entries.

Yes, the Server edition is a paid product, but you can use it with just the warning bar showing. I only suggest it until your problem is sorted out. If your business does not appear, you will have to import it.

Pricing

Ouch. The price gave me a severe pain in our charity account bank balance. You said I can use it with the warning bar showing until I sort out the Desktop version problem. That sounds great. How do I achieve that? Do I always login as you suggested via the server.exe file or do I download the Server edition and use that as a temp solution? Please advise me.

No, use the temp solution as suggested. Installing the Server edition requires some technical know how.

Many thank I really appreciate all you help throughout today. As I said before you have been a real star.
I will login as you showed me (via the backdoor) and hopefully we will get the Desktop version up and working again soon.

If there is a “View technical details” link, post the details. They may give someone a clue as to what is deleting the manager exe file.

The desktop version is not the issue, another programme on your computer is causing the issue.
Time to take the computer to a “doctor”, where they will be able to analyse the situation.

This possibly indicates that there other issues because system restores shouldn’t fail.
Perhaps Win 10 needs to have a clean re-install.

Basically, it rewrites/reorganises all the files on the disk. This can clean up any bad sectors or corrupt files - lets say when Manger starts it creates a virtual file which talks between the programme files and the data files, but this file didn’t close properly on shut down. So next time you open Manager, it is in conflict as the file it wants to create already exists - a defrag could cause those virtual files to be ineffective.

Have you tried looking in the Quarantine folder of your antivirus program? If you find Manager in there, restore the file an add it to exception list.

Reliability History shows the following
Description
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Manager. Product Version: 17.6.60. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: NGSoftware Pty Ltd. Installation success or error status: 1602.

Yes there is nothing there and I have added Manager to the Exception list

Description
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Manager. Product Version: 17.6.60. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: NGSoftware Pty Ltd. Installation success or error status: 1602.

Try this solution from Microsoft: Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

If it does not work, you will have to have someone local take a look at your machine.

UPDATE

In the end I had to take drastic action and do a fresh installation of Windows. Long job. Many hours.
Then I had to reinstall all my programmes and my documents (that were backed up).
Re-installed Kaspersky and Manager died.
Uninstalled Kaspersky and installed Avast. It scanned and said Manager was a ‘strange file’ and was being blocked pending further investigation.
Uninstalled Avast
Ran with just Windows Defender and Manager works perfectly
Installed Malwarebytes. Ran a scan and it was happy.
Now to find a decent anti-virus that will not kill Manager. Until then I will just have to rely on Windows Defender and MalwareBytes

I use Avira with Win 10 without a problem.
There is nothing wrong staying with Windows Defender.
Not sure why Kaspersky & Avast are causing a problem

Thanks on your advice Avira installed and working happily

@lubos, is it possible that Manager is flagged by some antivirus programs because the exe is located in the AppData folder?

If so, would it be possible to have the default location in Program Files or even on the root of C:? (I tried moving the Manager folder from AppData\Roaming to C:, and Manger worked normally.)

1 Like