History has no Search Option

That’s not what I meant. The developer offered filter by employee as a substitute for no search.

I want to filter by type of operation. Like I select “Delete” filter and I get the delete history only.

1 Like

Ah, now I understand. In that case, Manager’s normal Search function would do what you ask, since it searches displayed content. But that seems infeasible for some reason.

1 Like

Indeed and hence so worryisome.

1 Like

The most valuable filter for me would be
User operation after a date effecting transactions before another date.

Use case: Display violations of a lock date requirement after a report has been sent to a third party / tax authority

1 Like

The latest version (21.7.27) has User filter in top-right corner.

1 Like

hi Lubos, thanks for the update, a little bit helpful, but still the Search Box is the best. Because we need to find specific form history, for example Purchase Invoice #123, so we know who created or updated it. Please get the Search Box back as soon as possible. Thank you.

1 Like

Have you tried going to purchase invoice #123 and looking at the “History” button which as been added to the bottom right corner of the screen?

ah, yes, my bad. sorry.

but if the form have been deleted, how can I get the history?

Is also what referred to

It was mentioned by @Lubos that it will not be possible to reintroduce the search box and rather than explaining why I just guess that he changed the way how to interact with the database as he corrected display of large history data that were incomplete and this has been at the cost of the important search box functions. So there is no win win at the moment and it is indeed better to at least have all history data there. It may require the programmer to consult other programmers on how to search large data sets with SQLite.

1 Like

I totally agree with all those who want the return of the History Search Function - I used it all the time to quickly & efficiently find specific entries. PLEASE, PLEASE BRING SEARCH HISTORY BACK!

Please also make your databases backwards compatible with previous Manager.io versions (as they used to be), as this can sometimes be a life-saver. Those two functions would make Manager.io the perfect accounting solution in my eyes - I love it but for those two matters.

There seems to be some technical reasons that we’re not aware of and perhaps it’s beyond the scope of this forum.

However, the current setup seems to check all the boxes when it comes to history:

• Want to view the history of a single transaction? Just click on the History button at the bottom of the view screen of that particular transaction.

• If that’s not possible because the transaction has been deleted? Just go to the main History and filter by operations: Delete.

• Want to audit a specific type of operation? Just go to the main History and filter by operation.

• Want to audit a specific users activities? Just go to the main History and filter by user.

To me that’s about everything I need right there but if you have another use case that’s not met by the current setup, please mention it in detail so other users can follow.

1 Like

That is not possible and never was. What you could do, and still can within certain limits, is open older versions of a data file with newer versions of the program. Thus, the backwards compatibility extended to older versions of data files, not older versions of the program opening more recent data files.

The reason is that, as features are added, the database structure changes to accommodate new variables. Newer program versions include scripts to update older data files. But it is obviously impossible to go the other direction, because older conversion scripts did not envision later developments.

The limitation I mentioned came in version 20.9.89. By that time, the overall structure of the database had been converted to SQLite. For a long time previously, the conversion scripts would update older data files to SQLite. But by 20.9.89, the developer decided most users would have already updated and be operating in the SQLite environment, so that portion of the conversion script was eliminated. Therefore, really old data files must be updated in two stages, first to 20.9.89 or something a little earlier, then to the latest version.

Despite the filter options & possible technical challenges, I still beg the developers to reinstate the History Search facility - there was nothing to beat it for ease of use & utmost efficiency. Please, please, please bring back History Search!

I now comprehend, so thank you very much for such a detailed explanation - much appreciated indeed.

Please bring back the History Search option - I have had need of it again & without it, it took me ages to complete a simple task, which I know would have been so much simpler if I could have searched the History. So many people are requesting the return of this function, so please reconsider your decision. I found it one of the most useful functions in Manager.io, & used it often, so I miss it very much indeed.

@Tizwoz, beating your drum again and again will not help your cause. You have made your point.

I apologise for being overly enthusiastic - no offence or irritation meant, I am just a passionate person.

1 Like

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Maybe another member had the same problem and came up with an easier solution.

There’s no way to tell unless you make it clear what your end goal is.

I agree with @Ealfardan. Unless you actually want to undo a transaction or see which user was responsible for it, I cannot think of a use for the History file that is not better served by other features of the program.

Running the risk of “beating the drum”. Just had a complaint from staff member regarding history and its ability to find something searched for. In this case a quote.
Here is what was needed: To find who changed something in a quote and what was changed in a quote that is in progress for a period, accessed and worked on by multiple users on various days as information is contributed to the quote.

The complaint was that the information was found 84 pages later searching each page for info relating to the quote. I am told it was “painful” and the current search options are very limited.

Personally I remember entering a quote number or invoice number and all history for that search presented itself in a second showing users responsible what was done when created, updated and delete etc oh yes in date order too.

Job done and everyone could go home early!

So… “drum roll”… What is the best way to “trouble shoot” search the history of a complex quote / project in a multi user environment over a period?