History has no Search Option

I thought the intention was for manager to have a history button on data elements. So to answer this question you would go to the quote in Manager then click on the history button.

I assume this is not working?

1 Like

If you view the Sales Quote, there is a History button which will display the history of that quote

1 Like

Wow OK perfect! In this case I will let the user know. It lists all the activity needed and the various users. Excellent excellent ā€¦ Everyone goes home early. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Patch already explained this in July on post 24 in this discussion that the history button for specific tabs such as invoices is on the bottom right of the screen.

If no search is possible, can you maybe add the possibility to show more entry of the history, like 100, 200 and even ā€œallā€ like in other parts of Manager, such as invoices? So that at least we can search using the browser search function and avoid going through each and every page.

@mauroskov, you can already do that. If using the desktop edition, you need to open a second instance of Manager directly in a browser window

I am using the cloud version. I am not sure what you mean with ā€œsecond instanceā€.

I mean another window showing the same business in Manager. Techniques for opening a second instance depend on your operating system. There have been many, many discussions of how to do this in the forum.

I am not sure we are referring to the same thing. I mean that Iā€™d like to have these:

1 Like

I was referring only to your comment:

You can do that now.

Yes I can do that, but then I have to search, then click on the arrow to go to the next page, then search again, and so on for 220 pages. If the function I am referring to was available, I could search once and get all I need at once. Just a suggestion that maybe is feasible @lubos ?

You could try drilling down on the Foreign Exchange Gains/Losses account - that will list all the transactions affected by an exchange rate - it has options to change the number of entries displayed - you could even export the data to Excel. Then you could calcuate what exchange rate was used and identify what transactions were altered

@Joe91 thanks for the suggestion. I am looking at specific accounts, one is very importantā€¦ Capital Account. And it is nowhere to be found starting from the Forex gains/losses account. For me the only options, I think, are either to go through all the pages of history (which also stared only in July 2021) or to get a backup from the time the data was correct.

A copy to clipboard button would be nice as well.

1 Like

The truth is that the previous history search function we all enjoyed got ditched because the database can not handle it. Therefore cutting it up in pieces makes it kind of doable but by no means is as powerful as before. I do not think @Lubos has found a solution to deal with how SQLite handles such as the key problem deals with memory on your own system.

The latest version (22.1.91) adds new drop-down box to History screen. This will allow you to filter history entries by object type.

4 Likes

Thank you @Lubos, definitely an improvement and useful but not yet nearly as good as the abandoned one which was a free search and provided update, delete, create across the object types. As mentioned in another post I fully appreciate that you try to find solutions to deal with the limitations posed by SQLite, especially for those with ever increasing data.

I totally agree, the dropdown is an improvement, but is by no means as comprehensive as the free search which originally existed because it does not seem to identify all instances, even with the lock open (unless Iā€™m missing something?). If there is an answer to the search limitations, I sincerely hope the free search is eventually redeployed - it was such a gem! Having said that, Manager.io beats Sage & Quickbooks into a cocked-hat, & is the only accounts program for me.

What if there were a date range option for free search to break up the search segment size of the data? Say chunk size 18 months. The same could be applied to email search?

Which is really slow. Donā€™t get me wrong @compuit, I have nothing against your proposal except that itā€™s an overkill.

I canā€™t claim that I know exactly how history works, but just judging by the availability of the Undo function, the data structure appears to be similar to how your files on a disk or cloud drive works.

If my guess is correct ā€“ @lubos can confirm or deny this, previous versions search would be a very expensive operation which will result in one of two outcomes:

• Price increases,
  • Slower server response time or
  • Both of the above

Iā€™m not a fan of either of those, even much less both.

Now, @lubos have been extremely generous with the filters and as I mentioned previously that the current setup gets you pretty much covered especially since the object filter has been added and @Tizwoz hasnā€™t provided any use case for free search except for convenience ā€“ as I can only infer.

Looking at cost vs benefits here, the way I see it, free search provides not much more functionality ā€“ if at all ā€“ weighed against steep costs and thatā€™s a definite no-go, at least for me.