For sending emails, custom SMTP now required

The solution to your challenge will be to create a generic email for your company/business e.g Gooddealenterprise@gmail.com and use it to setup your custom SMTP. With this you will not need to create individual emails for all the workers in the business and you can assign all outgoing emails to this email address. It will still look professional. You can even use a more appropriate one like sales.goodmandeals@gmail.com or info.goodmandeals@gmail.com

I do NOT want to create a generic email address, i already have a domain name (user@companyname.com) as my email address which i have been using for years using office365. smtp through office works hence my request to add it per user on manager and NOT globally. Unless @lubos can give me a different solution to solve my problem.

Okay then research a bit more on that and set the SMTP up yourself using the protocols(settings) for your own host servers.

No that will not work for me.

@Robojock Iā€™m not familiar with Office 365 but I think the easiest way would be to create new user within your domain name such as info@companyname.com and use credentials of that user in Manager.

Usually email providers do allow to create users with out mailbox so you donā€™t have to pay for such user.

edit: ok, it looks like Office 365 doesnā€™t allow to get such a mailbox for free - see Can Office365 shared mailbox use SMTP? - Stack Overflow

@lubos, for every user on office365 i have to pay an additional licence. So i have 5 users i pay for 5 licences. There is a shared mailbox option which does not require a licence, but it does not have login details either. I can only allow users to access that mailbox and if said mailbox receives mail they read and reply to it.

@Robojock thanks for the information and it confirms what I found myself. If you donā€™t want to pay for extra user then another option is use free tier of mailgun.com or sendgrid.com

Would it not be possible to add an option to manager where for every user using manager i add their login details of office365?

A generic email address ā€“ in order to use the SMTP outgoing mail server of that address ā€“ will not show as the ā€œfromā€ address if you donā€™t want it to show as the from address. The ā€œfromā€ address (and ā€œfromā€ name) are going to be whatever you put in the top two fields of Managerā€™s Email Settings config page.

So you put your existing, professional from-address and from-name in the Manager settings, and then use the outbound SMTP server of whatever email address will allow it, such as your home ISP or a gmail address or whatever (or mailgun or sendgrid SMTP relays, but my test with sendgrid got blocked by incoming mail server of the messageā€™s recipient, due to sendgridā€™s SMTP server being on blacklists because spammers use it).

The only reason I wasnā€™t able to configure Manager in a new ā€œproper and normalā€ way, with my businessā€™ domain SMTP server, is because my businessā€™ domain host (Bluehost) doesnā€™t use port 587. If Manager ever adds port 465 as an option in email settings config, then I will be able to send mail out from Manager through my domainā€™s own SMTP server.

Update: If you host at Bluehost, you have to use boxNNNN.bluehost.com as your SMTP setting in Manager (to use port 587), not the typical SMTP name mail.domainname.com (that works for ports 465, 26, etc.), where NNNN is the box number that your Bluehost account is hosted on.

Do not expect this to happen. Port 465 is not supported by the .NET framework, which Manager uses.

1 Like

Sorryā€¦
hello I tried to configure my SMTP with Gmail I followed all the steps like this in your tutorial but it does not work ā€¦ when setting up the email in Manager I receive this message or the client is not not authenticated. the server response was 5.7.0 must first issue a STARTTLS command. i17sm77 ā€¦ i am not an expert computer

@manon is your port set to 587? It looks like you have it set to 25.

yes ā€¦ I did all the steps as indicated for my gmail account ā€¦ itā€™s as if the gmail account still blocked the app as a security measure because manager is not a Google app ā€¦ at least thatā€™s what I think ā€¦

here is the error message that I receive when I test for email.

The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The response from the server was: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at

where this one

The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. v17sm198993qtc.23 - gsmtp

This error would indicate you are using port 25. Are you sure you get this error with port 587? Also, make sure you try this with the latest version otherwise Use SSL checkbox must be checked.

last version of the manager? I have the 19.1.23 and yes I have the port 587 and I also tried with the box SSL checked and unchecked

@manon, do you get the same error regardless SSL box being checked or not?

Manager 19.1.23 is 6 months old. Many changes have been done since then. For current version (at least 19.6.74) see Download | Manager

Thanks for the notice about this email change. Seeing the notice as soon as I logged in looking for a solution saved me a lot of time.
Cheers,
Mary