Exported PDFs are all in odd paper size

Hi. Starting a few weeks ago, every PDF I export and save from Manager is an odd paper size. Adobe Reader says its 8.3" by 11.7". It wouldn’t be a big deal by itself, but I often combine the exported PDF with my proposals, so I have a final PDF with several Letter sized pages then finally this goofy size for the Sales Quote or Invoice PDF.

It used to export just fine in Letter size, which is 8.5" by 11". I don’t know what changed. I checked Email Settings and it’s set to Letter size. If there is another place to adjust this setting, I don’t know where it is. I appreciate your assistance.

That is not a “goofy” paper size. It is A4 (within rounding error), the standard just about everywhere in the world except the USA.

What version of Manager are you using? And what do you mean by “export?” There has not been an export feature in Manager for a long time. The PDF function is being progressively crippled by the developer because there are too many issues in the multitude of languages and character sets Manager is translated into. The only remaining setting for paper size in the program is when you set Email Settings for PDF attachments to emails.

My apologies. I’m from the USA and did not recognize that size. But still, it used to always export in Letter, now it’s always A4.

This is in Cloud Manager, it says 21.8.52. By export I mean the PDF button on every Sales Invoice or Sales Quote page, which of course generates a PDF and saves it on the computer.

As a workaround I can click Print instead and use the operating system ‘Save as PDF’ function but that is several extra steps and not nearly as convenient as it used to work.

That is what the developer intends users to do. In case you missed the forum discussion on the point about a week ago, the PDF button was actually going to be removed entirely (and perhaps was for a version). The outcry was so loud, it was retained, but as an unsupported feature. Performance simply cannot be maintained across platforms, languages, browsers, etc. The “Save as PDF” (or equivalent under your operating system) puts you in control and takes Manager out of the loop.

I did not see the forum post. Sorry, I don’t just sit in the Manager forum all day.

Personally I’d rather see the button removed if it’s going to be unsupported moving forward. But as a paying Cloud Manager customer, I’m still disappointed to see a useful feature left to rot.

I do not mean to sound dismissive, but I am not quite sure what your complaint is. Regardless of what Acrobat Reader says the native size of the PDF document is, when you print, you can specify the paper size. In fact, it should default to whatever your regular printer settings are. The differences between USLetter and A4 are small, generally only affecting margins slightly. Even that can be overcome by using a custom theme in Manager if you know you will always be using USLetter. (Just adjust the padding by a few pixels. In fact, you often have to do that to get exactly the margins you want from a particular printer anyway, as various drivers sometimes have built-in margins to prevent bleed-over at page boundaries due to limitations of printers.)

Personally, I have some businesses set up to use USLetter and some A4, exactly as described above. I can print directly or create PDFs with necessary characteristics by setting custom themes under Form Defaults. Each business is set up according to its normal operations. Those that print and mail invoices use one custom theme. Those that send PDF attachments via email use a different one. None requires any thought once the setup is done, and that takes only a few minutes. And if an unusual situation occurs, it is easy to edit a given document to use a different theme if I am going to send it by a non-standard method.

See attached file to see what I mean. The fact that it’s exporting PDFs as A4 now instead of Letter makes my proposals that I sent out less professional looking. I create proposals in Word and export that to PDF, then combine that PDF with PDF quotes and invoices from Manager. You can see on the left page how it looks totally mismatched with the page on the right when looking at those inserted Manager PDFs.

I have zero interest in learning HTML just to figure out how to adjust the padding or make new themes. I am not a developer or graphics designer. I would like it to just work how it used to.

It’s not a big problem, but it did break my usual workflow, and now I feel like I’m being told that I’m the one who should be expected to come up with a workaround.

Manager has never been represented as a what-you-see-is-what-you-get program. The fact is, you are expecting it to mesh with your particular use of a completely different program. The simplest way around your specific issue is to insert the PDF of your sales quote as an object into the Word document before creating the final PDF. That’s probably less work, too.