Email problem after upgrade

The problem I now have is that the emails that are sent out are shown as coming from my gmail email address, not the email address listed at the top of the settings (which it used to do).
I don’t want to use a gmail email address, I only wanted to use the outgoing mailserver settings.

Any tips on how to keep it showing my the address that it used to show (which isn’t the same as the account details I used to use)?

You must use an email server which supports port 25 or 587.

Often ISP mail servers only support port 25 when your computer is connected to the internet via your ISP (enabling you to be identified via other methods)

you can try a different reliable host for your email. gmail provides the option. also, there are many other free and paid email hosts available if you do a quick google search.

I have just had my host move my domain to a new server 4 days ago.
It is a shared hosting setup and they do not now allow port 25 or 587, only 465 for spam/security reasons
I think it’s about time port 465 was added to the options in email set up.
The option of using services like gmail is not suitable for me as it removes the ‘professionalism’ factor.
With all the complaints about 465 not being an option I would have thought @lubos would have at least added this to ideas or implemented it.
As many others do, I now have to print to PDF and then email the invoices etc as attachment through my email program.
I did suggest in a much earlier post somewhere that the email button could open up the users email client with the PDF attached to a new email, ready to go. This would allow a lot more options for the user to customise their emails via the email program. I do believe it is possible with the current inbuilt PDF creator.
I did find out that using port 25 allows me to send within my own domain, but will not allow emails to ‘pass through’ to other domains. This gave me a successful test in the email setup of Manager even though the emails can’t be sent to any other domain. Took me ages to work out why I was getting an error, suppliers weren’t confirming order received yet the emails were coming through to me.

1 Like

The reason Manager does not support port 465 was given more than 2 years ago here: Email Questions - #4 by lubos. I don’t believe you should expect Manager to regress to an obsolete option, even if some providers still support it.

Yet it still supports the most insecure port 25, the spammers/scammers first port of call, allowing emails to appear to come from yourself.
Your reason is totally flawed and wrong.
Port 465 is for smtp
Port 587 is for msa
Port 25 is for MTA to MTA (server to server)

Note that while unofficial, port 465 offers the end user more assurance that they are really talking over an encrypted channel. Port 587, with TLS being optional, means an end user could be providing their credentials over an unencrypted channel.

Google it!

1 Like

This has always worked for me, for years. I don’t understand why it suddenly stopped working.
I would be happy to use the gmail settings if it showed up as coming from the listed email address in Managers settings rather than showing it as coming from Gmail.

It looks like I may have to start generating a PDF everytime, saving it to my computer and the emails from outlook. This is going to become so much more time consuming and frustrating :frowning:

Just a thought, but do you have a dynamic or static IP address.
I recently had an issue with accessing my webmail & cPanel. It would work from my phone but not my PC.
After switching on the WiFi on my phone it would not connect by phone either, (I was on my home WiFi)
Turns out my IP was being blocked by my website server host. Simply switching my modem off and on, giving me a new IP address fixed the issue.
As I said, just a thought,

@Greg_W, comments like “This has always worked for me,” or “I don’t understand…” will not get you anywhere. Actual bugs with Manager’s email function have been very few over the years. None has been revealed for many months. And no changes were made recently involving email.

More typical problems have been errors related to generation of PDFs that will be attached to emails. But that is not your problem.

We hear a story like yours every few weeks on the forum. A user insists everything is perfect at their end and that nothing has changed except Manager. Yet they cannot say what their prior Manager version was. Often, they have not used the email function within recent memory. And they have not followed the troubleshooting Guide, so they furnish little or no information to help others help them.

It is exceptionally rare that the Manager program turns out to be at fault. Problems usually originate with changes at email providers, even when they insist (as in your case) they have done nothing. In some cases, regional providers like yours are actually reselling someone else’s service, and they don’t know changes were made. We see conflicts between SMTP hostname and credential instructions on their web sites and what they tell customers via telephone. We see issues with multi-level authentication users were unaware of and authorization problems for so-called less-secure applications. Frequently, after several forum members offer suggestions, the thread just goes dead, with no indication of whether the user’s problem was solved or not. This last happened just over two weeks ago.

Your email provider’s basic setup instructions on their web site have not been updated in almost 2 years, a suspiciously long time for nothing to have been modified in today’s fast-changing world of cybersecurity. They specify an SMTP port (465) Manager has not supported in years (if ever). You said your hosting server name was changed just months ago, but it now matches the format VentraIP was showing two years ago. They also provide conflicting information in a troubleshooting guide, raising further doubt about the quality of their information.

Meaning no disrespect, those discrepancies cast doubt on your initial claim that you have been using port 465 and everything has been working well. It is entirely possible (not knowing your exact history) that you have not sent an email since Manager’s internal SMTP credentials were removed in July 2019 and private credentials were required. That would mean you did not know your setup wasn’t working. We just do not know the exact circumstances of your situation. And you acknowledge you do not remember with certainty.

I assure you, if there was a bug in Manager causing what you describe, thousands of users would be complaining—loudly. But you are currently the only one. I recommend tracking back through your entire chain: internet service provider, domain provider, email host—whoever is involved in the process of getting your emails out into cyberspace. (Sometimes, that is a single stop, but sometimes a much more complex chain than people realize.) Don’t let them pawn the problem off on someone else.

hey @Greg_W
I’ve tried the Gmail but it just won’t work; long story - Google policy wrt ‘Less secure app blocked’ settings, so I’d be interested to see what you did to get the Gmail working …
when I ‘Test Email Settings’, I get:
“The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Authentication Required. Learn more at”

Anyway, I then opted to try the ‘free’ Outlook mail (outlook.live.com) and whilst it didn’t work initially (±2 days back), I just upgraded to the latest Manager.msi _ v20.8.12 and now it works!

any thoughts?

You could have read the Guides
Troubleshoot email issues
Google email

and you would have been able to get the Gmail to work

hi @Joe91
thanks, but ‘been there, done that’ - sorry, I neglected to mention…, so I’m not sure if it has something to do with not using G-Suite or 2-step authentication?.. - way too complicated for the guys I’m helping, so I’ll go with the Outlook email for now…

I updated to latest version for linux and i can not send mail anymore. I use a gmailaccount and get these errors:

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
535 5.7.8 Check Gmail through other email platforms - Gmail Help sd8sm6991035ejb.58 - gsmtp
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.CheckStatus (System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient+SmtpResponse status, System.Int32 i) [0x0001a] in :0
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Authenticate (System.String user, System.String password) [0x00065] in :0
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Authenticate () [0x000b1] in :0
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendCore (System.Net.Mail.MailMessage message) [0x00132] in :0
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendInternal (System.Net.Mail.MailMessage message) [0x00050] in :0
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send (System.Net.Mail.MailMessage message) [0x00091] in :0
at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Business.SendEmail.Post () [0x00550] in <8deb9d2e4f9942f8807ca4604421b142>:0

By the way i am on ubuntu 20.04 but 18.04 gives same issue. And i am 300% sure the username and password are correct.
Regards

The gmail service is funded by mining your data, best done if you use their applications not just their email relay. They make it hard to use non gmail applications. To debug gmail problems you will need to provide all the date in the gmail guide listed above.

1 Like

I have it setup according the guide. It used to work fine. Updating to latest Manager broke things i guess.

To be sure it is not because of Gmail i created an account with postmark sending service.

Now i get an error stating: Message could not be sent.

Entering the smtp details in my email client works fine so that is not an issue.

Saying you have set it up according to the guide is fine - but obviously you have missed something. Many users, including myself, use Manager with Gmail so there must be something you have not done correctly.

But without posting images and explaining it more detail what you have done, it is not possible to offer further help

1 Like

I did a clean install on linux mint 20 (based on ubuntu 20.04). Same issue unfortunately, see screenshots.

I had an issue like this before on linux mint 18 and the solution was found by @lubos : mozroots --import --ask-remove see this post Message could not be sent error - #32 by lubos

However mozroots is deprecated so i can not try this solution.

Your user name in SMTP credentials looks very unusual. Is that really what you use for access?

The login credentials are correct, that is how postmark works.
Same credentials in my Email cliënt work fine