Custom fields headache

Hi. I’m new to Manager and have just downloaded the latest version.
I have spent a few hours reading the guides and have been trying to get a custom field on the Sales Invoices.
What I want to add is a line at the bottom with my bank details for bacs payments.
Just like the last example in Guide 13392.
I’ve created the custom field - called it Bacs, selected ‘single line text’, size ‘medium’ and ticked Show custom field on printed documents.
I’ve then gone into Default forms - Sales invoice and can’t see anything resembling a custom form… my head is spinning, can you help?

On both the regular entry screen and the corresponding Form Defaults entry screen (for any transaction type), custom fields are shown at the bottom. They are enclosed in a gray rectangle. In this example from the Form Defaults for sales invoices, the custom field is named Notes:

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.57.50 AM

That Guide is about how to use HTML in fields. It is not about custom fields specifically.The general Guide on custom fields is this one: https://www.manager.io/guides/8941.

You won’t see a form in Form Defaults. You see the same entry screen as when entering a regular transaction (with a couple exceptions that are irrelevant for this discussion).

As a side note, where you put information like this is up to you. But most users would add the custom field for banking information to their Business Details in Settings. If you do that, however, it will show on all transaction types. What you are doing will restrict the information to only sales invoices. This is a matter of personal preference.

Thanks Tut
Sorry but I’m no further forward. I’ve even removed the software and reinstalled it, but to no avail.
I can’t get a custom field to appear on anything…even setting one as a column (following your guides) doesn’t appear when I create a new document. I’ve already tried changing the business details but I can’t see how to set the text I want in a custom field at the bottom of a document.
I’ve read all the guides, ticked all the boxes and experimented in every possible way. I’ve added my logo and I prefer the plain theme and the layout looks good on the example, with text at the bottom. But when I go into default forms (sales invoice) that text isn’t there for me to change and I can’t see how to create it - It’s the only thing stopping me using the software -
I normally use Solar Accounts without any trouble - could there be something on my computer that’s causing a malfunction??

@boznut can you post screenshot of your Custom Fields screen? Maybe you are creating it under wrong section.

The text that you type in the Description field when creating a custom field does not appear on the sales invoice. The text you want to appear needs to be typed into the field when in Form defaults.

Hi, thanks for your reply. This is a screenshot of the customs fields interface. After creating a custom form (to print on documents) and then go into default forms/sales invoice - second screen shot…

Can you show the screenshot of Custom Fields screen? It’s the screen which you get after clicking Custom Fields under Settings tab.

Hi - thanks for helping. This is the screenshot of the Sales Invoice in Form defaults. As you can see nowhere to type in any custom field

You have created the custom field in the wrong place

That is why Lubos has asked for a screen image of the Customs Field in Settings

Yep -

You created the custom field for your Business Details. Therefore, it is going to show with the business name, address, and logo on whatever theme you are using. However, custom fields do not display unless they have content in them. And you did not enter any, so nothing shows.

If you want Terms" to show on sales invoices, you have to create that custom field as a sales invoices custom field. Then it will appear on the sales invoice default form, where you can enter you terms. And it will show near the bottom of the sales invoice.

‘you have to create that custom field as a sales invoices custom field’

Please could you tell me step by step how to do that. I fully understand the concept but still cannot work out how it is done.
Thank you (you must be ripping your hair out!)

How to do this is explained here Use custom fields | Manager

Notice that there are separate custom fields for each transaction form eg Sales Invoices, Purchase Invoices, etc etc

Just go to settings custom fields. Find and select sales invoice, create your custom fields you need. Done.

Ahh ! this is what I didn’t notice! The type is so feint for each of the dedicated transactions next to the custom fields I didn’t see them… now I see how it works and I was selecting the wrong CF. Thank you very much for your help. I will invest in stronger reading glasses.