Chromebook Manager Download

It is possible to download Manager on Chromebook?
If yes, kindly help me out.

No, only Windows, Mac and Linux. However, you could subscribe to Cloud edition as that is browser based and will work as an online app on a Chromebook.

Note that most Chromebook’s apps run on Chrome OS, and data and apps are mostly stored in the cloud, and can be accessed through the Google Chrome web browser.

I run the desktop version of Manager on a Chromebook.
You need to go to Settings and select Advanced.Developers and turn on the Linux Development environment.
YouTube will show how to run the Appimage file and out of interest I even run a Linux version of Dropbox on my Chromebook that enables it to be automatically backed-up
Chromebooks seem highly underrated in my opinion for I run other programs also that I would normally run on Windows but have a Linux version. I have a Windows PC and Laptop but prefer to travel with my Chromebook which is cheap, fast and the battery lasts for hours
I wish to take this opportunity to say that Manager.io is a fantastic program on many levels and congratulations to the team behind it, if the situation occurs in the future will have no hesitation to opt for a paid version. I also highly recommend the program to people due to its ease of use.

Interesting work around, good to learn that you can run native linux apps on Chomebooks.

hi …

I tried but it couldn’t … please let me know the steps or link on how to install the manager.io on my Chromebook…

I really appreciate it …

The answer was already given by @Kitman

1. You need to go to Settings and select Advanced.Developers and turn on the Linux Development environment.

2. You need to search Youtube.com to learn how to run the an App image file (Linux) such as Manager for Linux dowloaded from Manager.io.

1 Like

Hi Everyone

People seem to want to be able to load the desktop version of Manager.io on a Chromebook and having told everyone I do so I coincidently had a new Chromebook coming and was hoping to video screen the whole process of setting it up from scratch but hit problems and it would have been confusing to watch. I could not get the program to run immediately but have now managed to do so. Obviously Chromebooks could use the Cloud version seamlessly through a browser.

Instructions as follows - a troubleshoot that happened to me is at the end

1. Firstly you need to “Turn On” Linux in settings and this is done by clicking the clock on the bottom right side of the screen, then click the cog - YouTube have great videos on this.
  2. The settings window will open and then in the search bar at the top search “Linux” and you will find in the results a button saying to “Turn On” which needs clicking
  3. You will then be asked to click the Button “Install” which you do so and need to click Y occasionally when asked to confirm questions while installing - you can make the Linux partition larger if you so wish but this can be done at a later date
  4. Once Linux is installed these are the commands you then need to type the following into the Terminal window
  5. “sudo apt update” - then press enter and let it do its work
  6. Then “sudo apt dist-upgrade” - and then press enter and let it do its work
  7. Next step is to download the Linux AppImage file from Manager.io and place it in the newly created Linux directory using the Chromebook file manager
  8. For ease then lets place the Data file you are using in the Linux root directory if you have one already or change Manager.io default file location to the new Linux folder (bottom left when the Manager first opens but this is not essential)
  9. To launch Manager.io in the Linux terminal window (you may need to click the word Penguin to get to the text box) type “sudo chmod a+x Manager-linux-x64.AppImage” then press enter
  10. Then type “./Manager-linux-x64.AppImage” and press enter again and the program will launch
  11. List items 9 and 10 are what will be needed to be done in the future to launch the program and I have the commands in a text document and copy and paste them into the Linux terminal window. To paste in the terminal window you need to press Control + Shift + v
  12. To bring up the Terminal window when you first turn on your Chromebook you will need to click the terminal icon and it will launch

Troubleshoot - on my original Chromebook I had no problems at all and all ran straight away but this one gave me problems but I just searched on Google for the command required to install what was creating a problem with the error message being the clue

• I had a grey box coming up saying something about libwebkit2gtk-4.0 could not be accessed etc…. and the following typed into the terminal cured that “sudo apt-get install libwebkit2gtk-4.0.dev“
  • I also had the program launching but in the Linux terminal box there was an error message saying I could not get notifications due to libnotify4 and the following typed into terminal solved that “sudo apt-get install libnotify4”

This is not my setup for I use a Linux version of Dropbox and to install that I just download the .deb file and double-click the downloaded file and to launch Dropbox you then just double-click the Dropbox icon that also activates the Linux side of the Chromebook in the background automatically and while Dropbox is syncing I then load Manager.io from the terminal window. It is only my Manager.io program that uses the terminal window to load, my other Linux programs just have a seamless icon to click to run with all the Chromebook’s other icons but copying and pasting makes things easier

I feel this makes Chromebooks seem complicated but they are not, you are just getting involved in Linux that people with Chromebooks never normally get involved with.

I hope this is of assistance and apologise if it is confusing

1 Like

https://youtu.be/BN6a1Np4C6U?si=s8xe_615X_Hiikz4 … check this one … i hope everything is going to be smooth though … cheers