Backup from cloud won't import to desktop app

I got a new computer for work so I want to use manager.io as a desktop app, but when I try to download the data from my cloud account and import it to the desktop app, I’m just getting an error saying it’s not the right file type. Any ideas?

What do you mean by “download the data?” The way to transfer between machines or editions is via a backup file. Make sure your desktop machine has the very latest software, as the cloud edition is always up to date, but Manager is not always backwards compatible. Then back from cloud to a drive accessible to your desktop. Then restore on the desktop. See these two Guides:

I am downloading the backup file from my cloud account to import it as a new business on my desktop. Both my platforms are up to date but the file isn’t working when I’m importing it to my desktop application. For some reason it’s not saving as a .manager file type, and it won’t import without it.

Instead of downloading which seems to be affecting the file - on the cloud backup file, right click and then click “copy”, then on the laptop, right click the folder then click “paste”. But delete previous download files from the laptop first. Fingers crossed

The problem is, when I installed manager to my Mac, my computer isn’t saving the backup file as a .manager file. So, it won’t import.

I need help figuring out why my file won’t save in the proper format. Maybe it has to do with installing Manager to my mac?

Here is the error I’m getting:

Internal Error

Sorry, something went wrong.

Please report this error to bugs@manager.io.

Also, please include the following information in your error report:

16.10.71 (Desktop)
/import-business
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'SharpCompress.Common.ArchiveEncoding' threw an exception. ---> System.NotSupportedException: Encoding 437 data could not be found. Make sure you have correct international codeset assembly installed and enabled.
  at System.Text.Encoding.GetEncoding (System.Int32 codepage) [0x0025f] in <4fbd3dde245b44dca2ad330af7c17ed0>:0 
  at SharpCompress.Common.ArchiveEncoding..cctor () [0x0000f] in :0 
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object:__icall_wrapper_mono_generic_class_init (intptr)
  at SharpCompress.Common.Zip.Headers.ZipFileEntry.DecodeString (System.Byte[] str) [0x00025] in :0 
  at SharpCompress.Common.Zip.Headers.DirectoryEntryHeader.Read (System.IO.BinaryReader reader) [0x000b9] in :0 
  at SharpCompress.Common.Zip.ZipHeaderFactory.ReadHeader (System.UInt32 headerBytes, System.IO.BinaryReader reader) [0x00086] in :0 
  at SharpCompress.Common.Zip.SeekableZipHeaderFactory+c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00146] in :0 
  at SharpCompress.Archive.Zip.ZipArchive+c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00141] in :0 
  at SharpCompress.LazyReadOnlyCollection`1+LazyLoader[T].MoveNext () [0x0003d] in :0 
  at System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive.CreateZip (System.IO.Compression.ZipArchiveMode mode) [0x0017a] in :0

To troubleshoot problems, we need to be very precise. Installing the application and saving backup files are separate and unrelated actions. Neither has anything to do with the other. In fact, the two actions you mention, installing on your Mac and saving the backup file, could happen on two different machines.

Did you install and/or update according to this Guide?

If so, when importing the business with the Add Business button, you can navigate to any accessible drive to find the backup file you made using the cloud edition. Select it, and you should be good to go.

Note, though, that all of this is entirely separate from any problem you may have with the file extension on your backup file. Can you tell me where exactly you created the backup file and what its full name was there? And what have you done with it since to get it to wherever you’re having trouble, and what is its full name there?

I’m downloading the backup file as a .zip file with the default business name. It works fine on a PC but not my Mac. I’ve updated the app and installed it exactly as the guide shows, but I’m still getting the error.

Why are you zipping it? It should be fairly small.

I’m not zipping it - that is the default download I’m getting.

You aren’t telling me enough. Default download from where and what? Describe specifically all the steps you are taking in the cloud edition to back up your data. Then describe all the steps you are taking to get that data to your Mac. Remember, unless you tell me, I don’t even know what machine you were accessing the cloud edition from–apparently a different one because you mentioned a PC. Troubleshooting a computer problem when you can’t see or touch the computer is like throwing darts in the dark. Tell me everything.

The default file that is saved from my cloud manager.io account is saving to both my Mac and my PC as a .zip file type. When I try to import this file into my Mac desktop manager I get an error. When I do the exact same process on a PC, it works.

I’m uploading a video showing exactly what I am doing: - YouTube

I am trying to get Manager to work on my mac because it is my work computer but so far, I’m only getting it to work on my pc which is not ideal.

The reason why you are getting this error is because the problem is something technically wrong with the program. That’s why it needs to be emailed to bugs@manager.io. Forum cannot help in these instances.

@NoraConrad, thanks for the video. I unblocked your error message post, but by the time I got through the video, @lubos had already weighed in. Once I saw exactly what the problem was, I was going to tell you he would have to be the one to fix it. You were not doing anything wrong. I’m closing the topic again.

Just to clarify. Since attachments were added yesterday, the backup file is now being in .zip format instead of .manager format.

The problem was that desktop edition on Mac was unable to open ZIP files produced by cloud edition. This has been now fixed.