Wrong date format when importing qif

Hi,

Background: I’m running Manager Desktop Edition 17.10.88 and my .manager file is in my google drive rather than in the Application Data directory (so I double click it to load it). I had previously changed my date format back in November, but the only way I could find to do that was to run Manager from the start menu without loading my .manager file; it wasn’t possible to change it while inside my file (I had previously posted a question about this). I have the date format set to DD/MM/YYYY.

Just now I imported a qif file from my bank. The date in the qif file is in the format DD/MM/YYYY. However Manager has interpreted it as MM/DD/YYYY, and the entry appears in red in my bank accounts screen.

Does anyone know why this has happened? I corrected it manually in the imported line, but it hasn’t happened before and I did import statements in December. It seems like a bug that has maybe been triggered by the rollover to the new year.

Thanks,
Sam

First, you should update. You are more than 100 versions out of date. An improvement affecting date interpretation of imported bank statements was introduced last month, but it was only announced as affecting .ofx files. Maybe it also affected others. I’m not sure. No one else has mentioned this. It will be informative to see if anyone else has this problem.

It is true that you cannot change preferences when working on a data file that was opened directly rather than from the main Businesses page of the program. That is intentional, to reinforce awareness that you are working on a remote file.

Thanks, I’ll update. I was a bit confused because in the release announcements in the forum the last notice is for 17.10.42, but there’s obviously newer versions than that. I couldn’t see any other announcements about releases and changelogs so I was hesitant to update. Is there somewhere I should be looking where changelogs or announcements are made?

On the desktop edition home page, click on Releases. Not every small streamlining is announced, only functional changes. Also, the Download page lists the current version.

Thanks muchly. I installed the latest version and it still seems to interpret the date the wrong way around when I import the statement.

I’ve tried switching my date format to MM/DD/YYYY but that didn’t help; the dates were shown correctly in MM/DD/YYYY format in my bank account but importing the new statement still resulted in the wrong date.

@lubos do you know if there is an issue here? I can provide my .qif if that helps.

Had the same issue - Do the update / upgrade to your Manager

Thanks - I actually did update to the latest version and the problem is still happening.

I updated over the Weekend on the 6 / 7 Jan 2018 which resolved the import issue but not the Custom Field Date issue which has been logged as a Bug case - See below.

Maybe something has been reversed in an attempt to resolve?

With regard to importing a QIF file when updating your bank accounts. I found that if there is only one transaction in the QIF file the date format for that transaction will import as mm/dd/yyyy even though the date format dd/mm/yyyy in the QIF file is correctly downloaded from the bank.

See example QIF content below for the 04 January 2018.

!Type:Bank
^
D04/01/2018
T-4408.77
LTax Payment
PInland Revenue Ded
MPart=81-826-401 Code=Ded
^

Now should there be a second transaction or more in the QIF file such as the example below the date will always process correctly as specified in the download from the bank dd/mm/yyyy

!Type:Bank
^
D08/01/2018
T-357.00
LPayment
PRentokil Initial Ltd
MPart=Rentokil Ref=300006956
^
D04/01/2018
T-4408.77
LTax Payment
PInland Revenue Ded
MPart=81-826-401 Code=Ded
^

So my findings indicate that when importing a QIF file downloaded from the bank you ought to have at least two transactions in the QIF file to circumvent the date issue.
(I tested this import process on different Manager Bank accounts as you can see in this example and arrived at the same outcome for both the Trading Acc and the Credit Card account).

Thanks, I’ll give that a try! I only had one transaction so that might be the workaround I need!

I might suggest that if you have only one transaction, it is far easier to enter it manually than go through the headache of importing a statement.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Imported Bank Statements for a single date converts the dates