Update option

The manager now should have auto update feature like it should have a tab where we can have current version and updates available and if user wants to update they whould just have to click on update version. Like you can say mikrotik routers have where user have the option to use current version or to update to new one.

This feature is only available in the paid cloud version

The Cloud version has the limitation that you can not decide if and when you want to update as it updates for you. The Desktop and Server editions let you only update yourself manually. I do not think this is a big deal as long as you frequently visit the Manager download site or run update scripts on server edition. When you subscribe to the Manager newsletter then you get information about the most important changes over a particular time period which may prompt you to update your version.

Indeed an automated alert that a new version is available would be helpful, but as the updates are so frequently (almost daily and sometimes more times in one day) it does not seem to be all that useful.

As @eko said the updates are daily, for real. Just for Nov & Dec there are 96 revisions.

So an update alert would be nice, only if major changes or new features are introduced. This is up for the developers to decide.

So the answer is Manager is updated daily, you can update every day, but would you do it? Also considering that the updates may break some things like HERE then you can book mark the releases page and see what you’ve missed.

But again, for major changes or must-have features there should be an alert mechanism.

There is in the shape of the Manager Newsletter (subscription page linked). There are only few Newsletter issues per year and they explain better what has changed and why so you can have an informed decision before updating.

1 Like

There is also the Releases page on the website, which lists updates the developer considers significant for users: Releases | Manager.

1 Like

yes this shloud be an option

IDEA:

Probably a new tab called releases/updates would be handy. There the releases page could be replicated. and each release could have a button to download.

For every new release (documented at the releases page) there could be a notification with small red icon on the tab.

There should also be an option for notifications with 3 options: 1) Notify me on every release 2) Notify me only on Major Releases 3) Turn off notifications

1 Like

Most applications would have a check for updates button, this could be next to the version number in Manager. However, as mentioned this does not make much sense as it will almost always say an update is available. As Manager has various installations, Desktop (Windows, MacOS & Linux), Server (various OS and mainly maintained via a command interface) and Cloud (where all updates are done automatically with the risk that you may not want that new version).

The only ones having some benefit from an extra tab are the desktop users as the others will update using command line. Therefore one can as well just go to the Manager Download site and get the latest.

1 Like

I like the fact it’s a manual update in desktop version. Auto-update in desktop version only avoids the user to download/install the new version, wich is not really a big task to do manually and takes less than a minute.

For this go to manager.io and just download the latest version with just one click.
And
There is no need of replication as one has to use internet for download the same and manager.io is easily accessible on web.
(Note- update button is needed for those software’s which are difficult to update.)

Use Forum and Releases page.

Monthly newsletter is Completely satisfying this.

Do not go to manager.io you will not get any notification :joy:

Great idea. I’d like to suggest that the notifications be placed in the top nav menu because it’s where most people expect their notifications to be.

I’d also prefer to hold back on major updates/releases (or even changes to how the UI works like when Qty column was hidden) until the cloud user restarts their server manually. This would give the user a bit more control over updates.

I use Manager all those years, and doing just as you say. I said that this is a great idea.

Considering that in desktop version the user isn’t using a browser to access Manager, it would be fewer clicks away from updating or lean more about the new stuff.

Considering how much money is spend for keeping the user inside the app these days from the tech giants like Google, it would be a great paradigm for the developers to follow.

If you can keep the user IN APP, you do it. The browser is full of distractions for most of people, me included.

There are literally whole teams, working to drop a millisecond, on the search results at Google.

You don’t have to embrace it after all. But for me time is precious, 3-4 clicks more means more time. Downloading and saving is more time. Leaving program window is more time. Opening browser on a slow machine is more time.

So I think it’s a nice idea that needs minimal effort form the developing side, but streamlines the user experience, without affecting anyone who doesn’t use it or don’t like it.

But I DON’T mean auto update. This could cause problems, accounting software is not a game, I know…