Uncategorized accounts in the chart of accounts

I didnt delete anything

I’ll take your word for it - just saying that I was able to reproduce the problem by doing that, so it’s a possible cause.

I’m quite confident that editing the items, marking them as Income or Expenses as I mentioned above, will solve the issue… I understand that there might be a lot of them to update, and it would be a bit of a pain to do.

Note: If you are going to revert to an older version of Manager, make a backup of your business. Opening a business in a newer version of Manager works fine, but going back to an older version after opening it in a newer one can cause problems. A backup will prevent you from losing any more data.

It wont let you mark them as Income of Expenses as they are not clickable!

No problem, let’s try to work through the issue :slight_smile:

Is this what you see?

If you see something different to above, please post another screenshot after you click Edit alongside “Accounting fees”.

If that is what you see … you need to re-create ‘Income’ and ‘Expenses’ items:

Income:

1. Go to “Settings” > “Chart of Accounts”
  2. Click New Group
  3. Type ‘Name’ as ‘Income’, and ‘Code’ as the number ‘1’.
  4. Leave everything else as it is, and click Create

Expenses:

2. Click New Group
  3. Type ‘Name’ as ‘Expenses’, and ‘Code’ as the number ‘2’.
  4. Tick the box that is labelled ‘Expenses’
  5. Leave everything else as it is, and click Create

Then re-link the other items to them:

2. Click Edit on an item (for example, ‘Accounting fees’)
  3. Choose ‘Group’ (for example, ‘Expenses’)
  4. Click Update
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 for each item that is listed under ‘Uncategorized’ until there are no more left.

Then, as a final check:

1. Go back to Summary tab
  2. Let us know if you see ‘Uncategorized’ there. It should only say ‘Income’ and ‘Expenses’ now.
1 Like

@ComputerGarage, it sounds like you have updated from a version of Manager so old it did not include the ability to categorize accounts by group. Therefore, when you updated, the necessary information was not present in your old database to convert to the new data structure. Now that you have called your accounting data file with the newer program, you cannot use it with an obsolete version of the program.

The necessary editing of your 10 Uncategorized accounts per @ShaneAU’s instructions should only take a couple minutes.

1 Like

Hi Dear,

I have similar problem but in different version. There is an uncategorized account on my balance sheet but not any accounts linked with this before. It appeared suddenly and can not remove it. This seems on my summary view too. How can we remove it ?

Thank for your endless support ! (Cloud version user)

When suspense account occurs, occured account is listing under of uncategorized account as a suspense account.

This is not an account. It is a group. Accounts must be assigned to groups. If you don’t assign one, Manager automatically puts it into the Uncagtegorized group.

By default, your Suspense account would be assigned to the Equity group. I suspect that at some point you renamed some of your balance sheet groups or created your own. Can you post a screen shot of the balance sheet portion of your Chart of Accounts page from the Settings tab?

Dear Tut,

It might be… You can see the view of it as below;

Well, you have not apparently renamed anything that would cause this.

I wonder why you have the group Previous Period Closing Balances assigned as a subgroup of the Capital Accounts group. What happens if you reassign that as a group directly under Equity? For that matter, why have this group and the Previous Owner Balances account at all? Manager is a perpetual accounting system, and there is no purpose for isolating prior period capital account balances anywhere.

Likewise, why have you assigned Net Profit (Loss), the renamed Retained earnings account, to the Capital Accounts subgroup?

All these seem like unusual construction for the Equity section of a chart of accounts.

Hi Tut,

Thanks for your comments. This is the special projects with my customer which the company has been bought in the mid of financial period in US.

In order to remove “the uncategorized” i removed my creation on accounts but still it exists even on my summary page as below…

When i appyl for “Exclude zero balances” from my summary the group that still visible …

Is that something coding problem ?

What dates have you set for the summary screen?

Is there a Starting Date set?

Dear @Joe91,

No set date so far as below;

Capture44

I think Tut was on the right track - somehow the Suspense Account got assigned to Uncategorised

No idea how to get it re-assigned correctly

@FerhatAL, I have done some experimentation. I believe what happened is that you created an orphaned account or subgroup. As you were setting up this business, with its very strange equity structure, you must have created various groups, subgroups, and accounts. (We see evidence of this in the ones you still have left.) Somewhere, you either failed to assign an account or subgroup to a group or deleted its group assignment. When that happens, Manager automatically creates the Uncategorized group and assigns the account or group to it. If you then delete a higher level structural element, lower level elements become orphans. But, if you delete or reassign all of those, the Uncategorized group should disappear. The problem is, you cannot see the orphan, because it has no content and is not showing. So, I conclude the orphan must be the Suspense account, which does not show on the chart of accounts and appears on the Summary only when it has a non-zero balance.

While I think I know what happened, I cannot actually reproduce it. Since you cannot edit the Uncategorized group or the Suspense account, you cannot easily reassign or delete anything to resolve this issue.

Although you did not say so explicitly, you implied you are just setting up this business. If I were you, I would start over, creating the desired chart of accounts directly, without any modifications or changes. If the problem reappears at some point, you will know that whatever you just did is the problem.

The other question you did not answer was whether you have a start date set. You showed a screen shot indicating your Summary is set up to display all transactions regardless of date. But @Joe91’s question was about the start date under Starting Balances in the Settings tab. Do you have anything set there? And do you have starting balances? Something there could also be related.

Dear Tut,

In the beginning i was trying to seting the dates then i have changed my mind and cleared all starting balances. Now, There is no starting balance. Somehow, suspense account is stucked as uncategorized. The other accounts are well working. If i consider of re-creation of the business, there are lots of records have to be carried into another one.

Can @lubos help for this matter ? If the problem is about programming ?

I would be greatful if there is any method in order to get suspense account back.

Thanks…

Post a receipt without specifying a bank account and the Suspense account will be used

You still have not answered whether you have a start date set, whether or not you have starting balances.

He said he had cleared them in post 27 or 28

No, the exact statement was, “…cleared all starting balances.” No mention of the start date itself. I’m looking for any shred of an idea about how to reproduce this.

1 Like