Trimming of entered data of custom fields

We have a custom field column on our sales invoices where we enter the shipping document number.
We just realized that if we copy/paste the number then occasionally there is an extra blank space at the end of the number… and that is causing issues for us… Now we have manually gone through each and every number and removed this blank space but I wanted to request @lubos to add a trimming function on the entered data which removes all blank spaces from the beginning and the end of the entered data.

The issue we face is that there will be two shipping numbers in the custom report (which displayes the summary of each invoice for each delivery number) when we have for example “AWB12345” and "AWB12345 " (notice the blank space at the end). When we click the invoices in the list created in the custom report that have the blank space at the end, Manager takes us to the invoices that has no blank space at the end… This means we have no chance to actually click on the invoices that have this blank space in the end…

I assume this affects all custom reporting so I recommend to add trimming to entered values for all custom fields…

this is probably not an issue with Manager because i personally have never experienced this issue. i have few columns like ewaybill and consignment number where i copy the same to Manager and have never had such problems. make sure you are not copying a blank space from the source.

I agree, but trimming the entered data is almost zero efforts for the programmer I believe, so I hope he can add this in order to ensure his system is working optimally…
Discipline is always needed when entering data but accidents happen and if there is a space at the end of the number then there is no way to find it afterwards unless by going through each transaction manually since the system doesn’t link correctly to the ones that have the extra space…

but automatically trimming data from a user entry field is just restricting the users from entering what they like. i do not think that is something any user would want.
also, there are situations where a user intentionally enters blank spaces to position the data on a printed document. so implementing such a suggestion would only do more harm than good to users.

I doubt that someone needs a space at the beginning or the end… If that is needed then Manager should at least allow us to click the items in custom reports regardless if it has space at the end or not… It is simply not working well as it is…

Improved in the latest version (21.10.13)

2 Likes