Suggesting an Improvement for Importing Purchase Invoices from Excel into the Manager Software

I conducted an experiment with the feature of importing purchase invoices from Excel into the management software, and I noticed that the way the invoice lines are entered is vertical, which causes significant difficulty. This is because you need to know the number of invoice lines and then create columns for each line. I was hoping that if this method could be reconsidered and made more user-friendly by allowing the input to be horizontal. This way, you could repeat the invoice lines in Excel without the need to know the exact number of lines. It’s also challenging when dealing with invoices that have more than 100 lines, each with a product, quantity, price, and specific fields for data description. Creating them horizontally in Excel, I believe, would be extremely difficult. Please advise me if there is an easier way to import invoices from Excel . thanks

1 Like

There is no easier way and note also that you would need to know the UUIDs of the Suppliers and of Each item that you import from Excel via Manager Batch Create.

The multiple columns you refer to has been a recent development as in older versions there was only one. In the redesign by @Lubos this new format with multiple columns based on the number of line items is thus new and I do not think it will be reverted.

1 Like

I can do this very simple and with vlookup in excel join item code with uuids but it’s difficult to resolve multi lines in invoice

I agree with @michael_nabil’s statement, it would be easier if managers could read journals in vertical format.

Actually this is not a complicated problem, logically we can use VBA facilities to convert from a vertical journal to a single line journal as required by the Manager.

I also saw that Manager also provides API Facilities for Posting data.

1 Like

I did not disagree with this. I pointed out that recent changes caused it to be as is and I doubt it will revert to the previous way of doing things. The new system allows for “edit columns” feature and reading between the lines this also eventually will help with much more reporting possibilities than existed before including an easier custom reports feature. The tradeoff is that batch create becomes a nightmare if you deal with many items. So not against the request but from experience this may not be considered and one should just get used to the “new” ways.

No
You need to know the MAXIMUM number of invoice lines then create a column for each.

In practice I would create a conversion spreadsheet for maximum plus 1 and use the last as an spreadsheet error detection column.

As usual if you want to know the details of the data format to do this create invoices of various number of lines and do a batch update.

1 Like

Could you please provide a practical Excel example to facilitate the process of importing multiple invoices, each with around 20 items, for illustration purposes?

• Your conversion spreadsheet will depend (by definition) on the format of your source data.

• For each invoice it will calculate the field values upto the maximum number of lines supported by your conversions spreadsheet, taking care to enter “none existing lines” as required by Manager

@Patch Thank you for your response and attention, and i hope for an easier solution in the future.

If you want an example of how to parse a text field in a spreadsheet to extract multiple components see New Custom Fields and Chart of Account - #9 by Patch