Suggestion for handling multi-line imports (such as invoices)

Bulk import of invoices would be a great feature, especially to encourage more people to convert to Manager. From what I can see on the forum it seems the stumbling block is on how to handle multiline items.

My suggestion: in the tsv/spreadsheet have all the common elements like inv#, date etc be repeated for each item/line that is on the invoice and use the inv# or similar as record key

I’m wondering why people require this? Why are invoices in spreadsheet at all? Why not enter them directly into Manager?

1 Like

Mostly for migration from some other software used previously.

OK, I do accept this use case. However if I will implement import invoices from spreadsheet, it will support only single line item.

Even that would help. In most cases past invoices are generally needed only for tracking payments and such; so detailed item listing is not essential

It is very important for accountants. If you can import invoices or expenses then you dont need to spend many and many hours to create or clone each one over and over. It is very important what should be implement to manager.
I have mostly building company’s clients and they have a lot of invoices and receipts. It takes me so many hours to entry each one.

Please work on it.

thanks

If you are an accountant, @StingerPro, then you should put your clients on Manager, either as users of your cloud account or with their own installations so they can send you backup files. There is no reason for two entities or individuals to be entering the same information anywhere. The very concept of importing invoices means someone has already entered the data somewhere else.

Batch operations already support imports for multi-line fields. This means it will be soon possible to batch create / update transactions such as journal entries, invoices, payments, receipts etc.

Do you think it will be available also for chart of accounts?

Chart of accounts consists of wide variety of account types (+groups/subtotals), each have different fields. Not to mention, it’s a hierarchy rather than flat list like other screens. So if batch operations are implemented on chart of accounts, it will be the last screen to be solved.

I still think chart of accounts shouldn’t be big or complex as all details should be tucked into subsidiary ledgers where you can use batch operations.

I’m moving this topic out of ideas because this has been already implemented a few months ago. Batch operations are not yet as user-friendly as I’d like them to be but there is a separate topic for that.