Slow startup

Hi. Since the last update (15.3.81) I have noticed a consistently slow startup from the time I click on the shortcut (45 secs). I use Windows XP -SP3 and have not had this issue previously. It occurs with the antivirus turned off as well and I have done a repair of the installation without success. Are older versions available to download if this is not fixable?
Regards, Barry

I can’t help with the specifics of why Manager is running slowly for you but I think it’s worth noting that continuing with Windows XP on any machine but particularly one that a business relies on is a bad idea. Microsoft no longer provide support and patches for the operating system and haven’t done so since April 2014 making it increasingly vulnerable if it is connected to the internet - even with up-to-date antivirus software.

I strongly recommend upgrading to a newer version of Windows - even if you don’t want the latest (Windows 10), Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 are both still supported and will be far more secure than XP.

If you must continue with Windows XP, it would be best to keep it disconnected from the internet. If you can’t do that, do make sure you keep regular backups of your data away from that machine so that if something does go wrong, you don’t lose everything.

I will add to that and say that as newer versions of IE, .net framework etc evolve, Manager will need to evolve with it. As XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and I fully agree its time to retire XP, developers like the one for Manager will be justified in saying that from this release onwards it will only support windows 7 upwards. I work in IT and did the same thing with my clients last year - when I said we are retiring any Windows XP computers as its not economically viable to continue supporting such an old operating system. Yes it may still work,but from a business point of view one needs to support current Operating Systems not legacy.

So expect to see Manager and basically every other software no longer officially supporting XP. Its simply not worth spending the money to make sure software is permanently backward compatible and may actually introduce security risks as you have to weaken the security of the program to get it to work with old Operating Systems.

I have not used Windows 10 - but I and my clients use Windows 7 and I vastly prefer Windows 7 over XP - so think about giving it a whirl.

Your slow startup problem may be something to do with data. @lubos mentioned slow startups are more often to do with data than with Manager itself. He will advise you what to do as that is outside of my expertise.

Thanks, and I agree with all your points but just such a hassle to change computers and I would lose my printer and very old version of Quickbooks. Manager runs perfectly after it has started…I was wondering if any change had occurred in the latest version to startup matters? Seems unlikely so it is probably an issue with my system despite all my other software running perfectly.

All now fixed after downloading today’s update!

Glad you got the problem sorted.

Just back to the XP issue, I know changing computers and any associated hardware that needs updating as a result is a hassle but just consider that if your machine which will be increasingly insecure and vulnerable does becomes infected with ransomware, malware, spyware, viruses, becomes part of a botnet et cetera, the hassle then may be very much worse.

For me, even as someone who keeps regular independent backups of data and has fall-back hardware to keep my business operational should the worst happen to my main IT system, the potential for confidential data to leak out to any number of unknown third parties through spyware for example is a very real concern. For this reason alone, one of my data security policies is (subject to appropriate testing) to keep all software completely up to date regardless of hassle and expense.

It’s your decision of course and I won’t presume to tell you what to do for your situation other than to strongly advise again to make sure you have your data frequently backed up and kept isolated from that machine and adequate continuity plans in place to deal with any worst-case scenario that may occur without warning.