Reconciliation problem

Control Accounts:
The Manager program has inbuilt default control accounts as follows:

These inbuilt default Control Accounts are not available until the relevant parts of the program are activated using the Customise button.
and they don’t appear in the Chart of Accounts until at least one relevant account is created.

The user can create additional control account under settings>Chart of Accounts. Some users create additional Control accounts for bank accounts for Credit Cards and Loan accounts as these additional control accounts can be positioned under liabilities in the chart of accounts. Other users create a separate control account for each bank account so that each bank account appears separately in the Summary and reports.

A number of threads in this forum discuss this in detail.

In regards to your Bank Reconciliation when entering bank account Starting balances you must enter the ending balance from your previous accounting books (edit button) together with starting entries of pending deposits and pending withdrawals (Drill down on the blue amounts).

1 Like

Thank you. Reports are ticked.
In bank accounts tab, wanting to allocate 3863 to Cash at bank as the Control account .
Can’t see a tab to do this.

In the Bank Accounts tab Edit the bank account and delete the existing control account.(Note: bank control 2 is only an example and yours will be named differently)
The inbuilt default control will appear. Next click the update button.

Send screen shot if this does not happen for you.

1 Like

Thank you,
Bank Acc tab - bank account 3863 Edit - No Control Acc .

Image deleted.

Cash at bank is the default account for all accounts created under Bank Accounts tab. you do not have to edit or change any settings for this.

all the earlier suggestions were provided considering you wanted to show individual bank account balances in your Balance Sheet which requires you to allocate them to a user defined custom control account.

option to choose a control account will only appear after you have created a custom control account.

The figure at Cash at bank is not an accurate total of all the bank accounts under it.
Can you tell me why ? and how to correct this ?

Dear Julia, again, do yourself a favour and blur/mask your personal data! You can do this by using any image editing application:

As for your ‘problem’…
Go to Settings > Chart of Accounts:

afbeelding

For each of the custom bank accounts you’ve created in the Chart of Accounts (Bank2 and Bank3 in my example), click the Edit button and then use the drop-down list to assign it to the Control account Bank Accounts:

Then go to the Bank Accounts tab, click the Edit button for each of the custom bank accounts you’ve created in the Chart of Accounts, and assign it to the corresponding Control Account (in my example data Bank2 > Bank2 and Bank3 > Bank3):

afbeelding

After doing this you’ll see that the starting balances’ amounts are now included in the balance of each of the custom bank accounts and the Bank Reconciliation will show no differences.

Thanks Mark, Will do this in the morning.

Good morning Mark, as you can see from the screenshot below, I have no option to choose a control account, only to make IT the control account.
I have reloaded Manager, in case I was using on old version, but same result.

What do I need to do now ?

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 6.47.59 PM

I have no way of masking personal details, so please delete the screen shot when you have finished with it.
Thanks

@jav, this thread has become ever more confusing because of the fluid use of terminology. Your latest screen shot confirms what I wrote in post #14. You do not have the option of choosing a control account because you have not created any. Your mistake was to create regular accounts with the same names as your bank accounts. You have been trying to make ordinary accounts function as though they were bank accounts. No amount of trying will make that happen. You should delete every one of those, because you are apparently not trying to use control accounts, despite all the discussion about them. Nor do you need to.

Your actual bank accounts, which were created in the Bank Accounts tab (you have 8 of them, if I remember) are already there. Use those. If you have any questions about bank accounts, read the Guide again: Set up a bank or cash account | Manager.

Incidentally, you can obscure items in screen shots by using the markup tools included with Preview on your Mac:

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 6.48.37 PM

Thanks Tut, This has been very frustrating for me.
Re control accounts - Is Cash at bank a control account ?
Re bank accounts - I created them in Chart of Accounts. because that’s what I thought the instructions were telling me to do.
Which ordinary accounts are you suggesting I delete ?
Which ones are the ordinary accounts ?
And thanks, I will look at Markup in Preview.

Yes, Cash at bank is a control account. Bank accounts are it’s subaccounts.

Delete the accounts in your chart of accounts named after your bank accounts. Leave the real bank accounts created in the Bank Accounts tab.

OK Thank you.

You have to tick the check box in front of Control account!

That makes that particular account a Control account.
I am trying to put accounts under the Cash at bank account which I have been told as aabove is a Control account.
Anyway, the initial problem, bank accounts not reconcilling, is still the main problem. I
I have updated Manager, restarted my computer, checked all the entries on 3863, and 6625 and others and they as still NOT reconciling.
In New bank reconcilliation, which date should be entered at the top of the page ? Usually it is the end date of the period, ie. January 31. Reconciling fron January 1.
Thanks again for help.

@JAV take note of this comment by @Tut in his most recent post in this thread. See copy of part of your screen shot (below) which was duplicated in @Mark’s post. These 8 Bank accounts will all be in the Cash at Bank default control account.

If you have made transactions in these bank accounts you should see a balance against Cash at Bank on the Summary screen. Similar to this:

Click on the blue amount next to Cash at Bank to see their individual balances. Like this:

And that is exactly @JAV’s problem. Transactions have not been made in those accounts. Instead, they have been made in ordinary accounts erroneously set up with the same names.

Correct. Marking a particular Bank account as Control account makes it show up in the Summary and on the Balance Sheet. (Normally you want to do that). If not, they appear aggregated under the built-in ‘Cash at bank’ control account.

Well, you want to check if the bank account’s balance produced by Manager is the same as that of the corresponding real bank on a certain date. E.g. today you log in to your bank account and see that the balance is 100. In Manager you create a New Bank Reconciliation and fill in the date of today and in ‘Statement balance’ the amount you’ve just seen online, i.e. 100. If the reconciliation checks out OK then you’ve entered all bank movements. If not, you must have forgotten to enter one or more movements.