Production Orders - Enhancements

BUMPing this thread alive, hoping to b implemented, its useful and help in efficiency with following up… thanks in advance

@sharpdrivetek Even though I agree the location of a bill of material or input must be shown to record where the production inputs were consumed from, I do believe that for proper records keeping and internal control sake all materials which are going to be used in a production must be properly transferred to the factory location first before production begins (Location restrictions maybe added in the future, this feature will hide locations a user is not authorised to use in data entry), besides, pulling resources from different locations on paper is not really a good thing. They must all be assembled together in one location and then released into production.

@Abeiku i understand what you mean. but my suggestion was to improve the ease of use and reduce the transaction recording steps involved. having the option to choose the inventory location individually for all items in a production order is just an additional feature to the existing inventory transfer. my suggestion was not to replace it but just a shortcut (just like we can make a receipt from the sales invoice and also in the receipts tab).

users who need such a record can still make inventory transfers and then set the production location as a default under Form Defaults for production orders. this will also cater the needs of business which have location restrictions to users.

I disagree with you on this, @Abeiku. I have produced many goods in the past for which all input goods never come together at a single location. The simplest example involves packaging materials that are part of the bill of materials. Various piece parts are pulled from bins at a manufacturing location. A completed assembly, which is not tracked as a finished good in its own right, is passed to another location, where packaging materials inventoried at a separate location are pulled from stock, the item is packaged, and the finished good is inventoried at the second location. In other words, input items A + B + C + D = E, where E is the intermediate assembly that does not exist as an inventory item. Then E + F = G, where F is a box and G is the only finished good.

You have a point guys

we would like to know when will manager implement that enhancements?
thanks

@San_Thida_Myo_Latt you have been a user and member of the forum for over a year to understand that no ETA is ever provided for any ideas. this is because bugs have priority over ideas. there is no point in providing new features when already available features are not working as they are intended to. every bug fix extends the ETA of a new feature. so there is no point in providing an ETA.
rest assured that a feature is in the roadmap if it is categorized as an idea.

I think that is an overly optimistic viewpoint. The announced purpose of the category is discussion about ideas. There are currently 171. I doubt all will eventually appear in the program.

once you choose hope, anything is possible. have hope @Tut :slightly_smiling_face:

@Tut @sharpdrivetek is there any chance to get this enhancement or not. because its making too much to create a production order. inform about it therefore we quit or move towards more better option. its not easy to change the software in running organization but we can. also tell me if you offer this enhancements only for me how much i need to pay?

there are many features and improvements considered as an idea. priority is always given to bug fixes. the time taken for development of new ideas will depend on the work involved to restructure the program for improvement of existing features and accommodating new features.

there are no custom solutions. all features are common to all users.

Is there any other option to redesign the production order which resolves the issues regarding add line option? When i need to create multiple production order for one production. In case, finished item is more than one.

There is currently no option.

Creating multiple production order against actual one production order makes it hactic and its also disturb the non-inventory item account and production expend

Yes, @mhassam_02, that is the entire point of this idea. Whether the developer will implement it remains to be seen.

@lubos as a suggestion, reverse engineering the idea (G) from the initial post, can Inventory Kits be enhanced to feature also as a BOM ?

you can provide a checkbox in Inventory Items so that the item can also be used as Inventory Kits (also is bold because if you purchase the inventory item, it should have no effect on the quantity of its bill of materials).

this will serve as a link between Inventory Items, Inventory Kits and Production Orders.

when a user sets an Inventory Item to also be used as an Inventory Kit, they can choose the BOM for the inventory item under Inventory Kits. Now, when the same item is selected in Production Orders, the Bill of materials will be auto-populated. the number entered for the Finished item will act as a multiplication factor for the Bill of materials.

as an addition to this, if you add a Disassemble checkbox to the Production Orders, you can reverse the above process and get multiple finished goods from a single item.

this suggestion will also not affect the present functionality of Inventory Kits in any way.

the above suggestions will only benefit one-to-many and many-to-one items. for many-to-many items you will still have to make provision to add additional lines for Finished item.

@lubos I am really looking forward to this idea being implemented in any way possible at the earliest. the current Production Orders is a very time consuming process when you have around 10 different types of products produced every day with as many as 75 to 80 small components required for each product.

1 Like

Yes a BRILLIANT idea. We are waiting for something like this for a vert long time…

Will there be a clear apportionment bases/share of input for every material for multiple finished goods? Every Input (production Material) has to be split based on the requirements of the finished goods. Finished good A may require 2/3 of input material X and Finished goods B may require 1/3 of input material X. If the sharing of input cost is not clearly defined it will be messy.

That brings Complexity. So I forsee a different bill of material lines for every finished good we choose to add to the list. Unless Manager maintains the same input lines but adjust them based on already created bill of material as the user adds finished goods also reduce the input if a finished item is deleted.

@Brucanna I was about to ask about how to cater for abnormal waste in production but a multiple finished goods feature could handle this easily. A finished item called Production waste and spoilage could be added to the finished goods list and used to absorb all material wastages in the production and then written off into an expense account.

your example needs to be two separate production orders rather than one because you are only converting one input item.
0.67 of item X for the first production order and 0.33 of item X for the second production order.

although what you pointed out would be necessary for multiple input to multiple output conversions. but i do not think this would have much of an impact because Manager calculates the average cost of the inventory items, the total of which is reflected under Inventory on hand account. this is the only important thing for a business balance sheet. I personally would not bother to check the average costs of all my inventory items individually. if i had to calculate a sales price for the products, i would simply do the necessary calculation outside Manager because there is more aspects to it than the average cost shown in Manager.