Problem opening v20.9.79 on new Mac computers

@SheldonSwanepoel, For what it is worth. I just updated to 20.9.79, and it is working fine.
I don’t think it is the software. There must be something else not properly configured.

Here is my Mac specs.
Screenshot 2020-09-29 at 08.40.34

Hi all I got a new Imac and Manager won’t open. It’s giving me the following error code .

20.9.79: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘Manager.ApplicationData’ threw an exception.
—> System.IO.IOException: Read-only file system
at System.IO.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(String fullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at Manager.ApplicationData…cctor() in C:\projects\manager2\Manager\ApplicationData.cs:line 54
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at Manager.ApplicationData.Get(String entityId) in C:\projects\manager2\Manager\ApplicationData.cs:line 103
at ManagerDesktop.Program.Main(String args) in C:\projects\manager2\ManagerDesktop\Program.cs:line 36

@CM_Weldon, please search the forum before starting new topics. Your problem is the same as @SheldonSwanepoel’s. Your post has been moved to the existing thread.

I am classifying this as a bug. @lubos, apparently this happens only on brand new Macs.

and now I’m thinking that’s it’s more than the OS and/or update, it’ll be some new security chip or feature of the new hardware. This is going to be interesting (I’m talking from the perspective of Apple’s security practices).

added: the users having issues with new Mac’s, is it only with versions 20.9.66 and up (when .Net 5 was introduced)? It would be interesting to know if their issues are related to .Net5 vs mono. If their database is still safe, updating to a version below this number may be the best interim measure (or remaining on their previous version)

I am encountering the same problem. My workaround was to run Manager via command line using /Applications/Manager.app/Contents/MacOS/ManagerDesktop

Ok so I tried that and its still showing the same error message…

Would you mind explaining how I do that I don’t really understand what a command line is ?

what version did you upgrade from?

Im not sure but Im now on 10.15.7 (19H2)

I meant manager, but then I realised you said new computer so it would be a fresh install.

Perhaps you could try running a slightly older version of the manager software if you have an original .dmg around

That is the exact error I have on Mac so its the same error !!!

I am getting same error message I recently bought new MacBook Pro 2020 kindly fix

I’m able to reproduce the issue.

Any idea why it only occurs on brand new machines?

This issue affects all Macs where Manager wasn’t installed previously.

After you have fixed the issue, I would appreciate knowing more. In my experiments, I did my best to sanitize my machine of any traces of Manager, but could not reproduce the problem. As I understand it, @d3mad did the same, and he is more sophisticated in that area.

Thats great to hear @lubos. @h3x, great call that worked as a workaround for me, but have to launch it that way every time. But grateful for a workaround so thanks.

@d3mad do you still need those things you mentioned? How do I run a hash?

No, not if @lubos has identified the problem and working on it because it should be fixed soon enough. I didn’t think it was going to be corrupt file, I felt it was a dotNet issue and it appears to have been.

@lubos as @tut mentioned, we both put a lot of time into this trying to debug it, I too wiped all traces of manager and ran through various scenarios of installs with users and administrators and locations etc, and couldn’t reproduce it.

I do feel it is possibly related to any new architecture apple may have implemented and that has piqued my curiosity more than anything.

How were you able to reproduce it?

The issue can be reproduced if share folder is missing in ~/.local folder or if ~/.local folder is missing altogether.

Anyway, eventually I’ll make default folder to be documents folder.

Ok, I didn’t think to remove that! ROFL WOW, that is surprising.

edit: technically I couldn’t since I have other apps in there, but yes, temporarily renaming it did create the problem. I’m quite surprised.

kudos lubos! :stuck_out_tongue: