Initialization Error

Got the following error today - was able to reboot and it opened seamlessly but curious as to what was happening

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Manager.ApplicationData' threw an exception.
 ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/Users/thm/Documents/Manager' is denied.
 ---> System.IO.IOException: Operation not permitted
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1.CreateDirectoryHandle(String path, Boolean ignoreNotFound)
   at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1.Init()
   at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1..ctor(String directory, Boolean isNormalized, EnumerationOptions options)
   at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1..ctor(String directory, FindTransform transform, EnumerationOptions options, Boolean isNormalized)
   at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.UserFiles(String directory, String expression, EnumerationOptions options)
   at System.IO.Directory.InternalEnumeratePaths(String path, String searchPattern, SearchTarget searchTarget, EnumerationOptions options)
   at Manager.ApplicationData.Refresh() in C:\projects\manager\Manager\ApplicationData.cs:line 70
   at Manager.ApplicationData..cctor() in C:\projects\manager\Manager\ApplicationData.cs:line 56
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Manager.ApplicationData.Refresh() in C:\projects\manager\Manager\ApplicationData.cs:line 70
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Businesses.InnerGet() in C:\projects\manager\ManagerServer\HttpHandlers\Businesses\Businesses.cs:line 34
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Template.Get() in C:\projects\manager\ManagerServer\HttpHandlers\Template.cs:line 297
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest() in C:\projects\manager\ManagerServer\HttpHandlers\HttpHandler.cs:line 146
   at ManagerServer.Startup.<>c.<b__1_1>d.MoveNext() in C:\projects\manager\ManagerServer\Startup.cs:line 89
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.ExceptionHandlerMiddleware.g__Awaited|6_0(ExceptionHandlerMiddleware middleware, HttpContext context, Task task)

Hard to know what to say - apart from some information on edition and version of Manager and OS (looks like some version of Microsoft Windows) and when this occured (startup, selection of business, entering a transaction,…) might be of help

Version 21.6.17. Ironically it is a MacBook Pro running OSCatalina 10.15.7. Parallels is installed but I didn’t have Windows running at the time. It happened on start up of program. Worked fine earlier in the day.

21.6.17 is an out of date version - at moment of writing current version is 21.8.32 so you are about 200 versions behind

This means that Catalina can not access the specified documents path. So some questions:

1. I assume you downloaded Manager from https://www.manager.io/download/ and dragged and dropped the application in the applications folder (check that folder for duplicates and ensure you open the newest installation (or the only one there if no duplicates). I agree with @Joe91 that you better update to the one specified for download.

2. When opening Manager in the bottom left select an accessible folder to which Manager can save files.

3. Redundant maybe but backup files can be imported from and saved to any folder but the Manager datafolder to operate from should be set under point 2.

Make sure you follow instructions in this Guide when updating: Install or update desktop edition on macOS | Manager.

Follow this Guide should you have reason for changing the default location of the data application folder: Move desktop application data to another folder | Manager.

All this assumes you are operating in your macOS partition.

Hello, I followed the instructions, got it up and running but today I went to open the program again and got the same error message /Users/thm/Documents/Manager. I can not longer see my Documents folder in my sidebar in my favorites except in iCloud, but when I ls ~/Documents it is there and a Manager folder is there. The initialization process stops on that error so I can never fully get the program open - or actually I get a menu bar but the only option under file is close and when I hit close, there are then no options to open a file.

If there is a Manager folder in your Documents folder, you did not follow the installation instructions.

From the date on the folder, it looks like I used this procedure when I did it. I just moved the folder out of documents and into my downloads folder and the program opened. Then I used the process to change the default location to downloads and the businesses appeared. I was putting it in documents so it would sync to icloud and it did work just fine after several times opening it and then just stopped. Wonder of it was a Mac update. Where do you suggest leaving a folder for it to sync? Thanks for your helpScreen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.46.09 PM|690x181

Your explanation is not completely clear.

The first question is where is the program itself? Did you install it in the Applications folder, as you should have? Or is that what was in Downloads and/or Documents? Make sure the program is installed following the instructions in the Guide.

The second question is where is the application data folder? Manager creates one at a default location that is hidden. But you can move the storage location of business data files somewhere else. It will currently be storing business data files at the location specified in the black rectangle at the bottom of your Businesses page. If you don’t want your data there, change it according to the Guide referenced in post #9.

Also, whatever screen shot you tried to upload did not upload.

The program is installed in the Applications folder. I did move the applications data to the Documents folder after the last update I did by following the instructions. It seemed to work fine and I was able to use the Application and data file sucessfully until today I got the same error message that was originally in this thread.

After you asked me if I followed the instructions I looked again and realized I did, including the instructions in the Guide to change the location of the data file.

In order to test it after today’s thread, I moved the data file out of my documents folder and into downloads just to park it for a minute, then the program opened successfully and I was able to change the location of the data file and the businesses opened uncorrupted.

I will move the data file back now that it works, but it seems like putting them in the Documents folder (through the process in the guide by the button on the bottom left of the screen) may have been the issue.

It is odd that it worked and then did not work - perhaps an OS update is the problem?

Thanks. That is much clearer.

There has been no update to macOS v10.15.7 except security updates. I doubt that is the source of any problem.

I will also observe there is no benefit to moving your application data folder to a location on the same machine. The point of moving it is to make it accessible from other machines or to provide a constant backup.

I have had laptops crash and burn twice in my medium-length life, so I put it in documents so it would sync to iCloud.

I hope you understand that is not automatic.

I assumed files would automatically sync to the document folder as they are updated, like everything else in the document folder.

That is not automatic. If it is happening, it is because you deliberately set it up that way.

My documents folder is set up to sync. The Manager folder is in the iCloud documents folder.