Printing the General Ledger Transactions report leads to crash

When the General Ledger Transactions report is printed to the PDF printer, Manager freezes and hangs. (Other reports print to PDF without trouble. The GL Transactions report can be printed to a hard printer or to the Microsoft XPS File soft printer without trouble, and the Email function internally generates a PDF of the GL Transactions report without trouble.)

Sounds like you are on a Windows system, right? Your problem does not occur on Mac OS X.

Make sure you are using the latest update (at least v16.1.15). I recall reading about a similar problem several months ago, but can’t find anything in the forum.

Sounds like you are on a Windows system, right?

Yes, indeed.

Make sure you are using the latest update (at least v16.1.15).

I have 16.1.12, from yesterday. Things sure move fast around here! :blush: I’ll give the new version a go.

The reason I stressed this is because there was a calculation issue in v16.1.13 that was fixed in v16.1.15.

@Tut: How does a regular person like me find this stuff out? The changelog doesn’t go to this level of detail, and it doesn’t even yet show that there’s a v16.1.15 yet. (Until yesterday, since the beginning of the year, it didn’t even show that there was any v16 at all. And you can’t tell from the download page what the current version number is. The only way you can tell, apparently, is to download and install the current version and see if the version number changes. Or am I missing something?)

This will be issue with your PDF printer driver. Since you said Microsoft XPS printer is working, so is your physical printer. You basically ruled out the issue is with Manager.

Try different PDF printer driver. You didn’t mention which one you are using…

1 Like

You are not missing anything. Best advice is to monitor the Changelog for new features you want or fixes you need. In between, however, there may be many small updates to things users don’t see. This specific issue was raised and addressed in a forum topic yesterday, just a couple hours before you started this one.

Unless I see something in the forum that prompts earlier action, I like to update every week or two.

Indeed! I use the PDF virtual printer driver that comes with Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 on Windows 7. Looking at the virtual printer’s status window, I can see that the document gets stuck in “spooling.”

I downloaded and tried CutePDF, and it prints fine. So you’re right, of course, it’s a driver compatibility issue. Something in the document must be hanging Adobe PDF somehow.

Funny that the $450 Adobe driver can’t handle something that the $0 CutePDF driver can!

Thank you!

Strange, but this is still happening. It happens 100% of the time when I print any GL Transactions report to the Adobe PDF printer, but 0% of the time when I print any other report to the Adobe PDF printer and 0% of the time when I print the GL Transactions report to the Cute PDF printer.

Any thoughts on why this might be?

The report might be too long and Adobe PDF can’t handle it while Cute PDF printer can.