Pdf - Manager freezes after using pdf button

Thanks. There is no suggestion of a bug in 18.11.68, as no other user has complained of this on that version. Have you rebooted the computer since the update?

yes, rebooted, checked for updates, updated mx-17, still the same

Can you give more details? What can you do? Does this happen in all tabs? Is there any error message?

Hi everyone,
I’ve been using Manager for over a year without any problems (also been learning how to use it). Today, 11 May 2020 when I wanted to create a PDF file the application froze and stopped working and closes.
It created a PDF file of zero size and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC can’t open what appears to be an empty file. I can create a PDF file from Excel without a problem.
I’ve tried un-installing and re-installing Manager without any luck. Problem persists.
Please help me if you can.
Thanks
Brian

What edition (Cloud, Desktop, Server) are you using?
What version are you using?
What platform are you using (PC, Mac, Tablet,…)?
What Operating System are you using?
What are you trying to create a PDF of?
Have you tried creating a PDF of other reports and transactions in Manager - does that work?

The reason is use of some modified themes.
This problem happened to me and I discovered that it is because of a modified themes., but not all modified themes. Just some modified themes. You can use another theme that I think will solve the problem.

Good evening Joe,

Greetings from the Covid-19 Lockdown in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Thanks for your response, I appreciate your help.
In response to your questions I comment as follows:

What platform are you using (PC, Mac, Tablet,…)?
What Operating System are you using?

Windows edition: Windows 8.1 Single Language
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Device: Desktop Computer Tower

What edition (Cloud, Desktop, Server) are you using?
What version are you using?

Manager Desktop Edition
Version 20.5.22

What are you trying to create a PDF of?

I want to create a Quotation and a Sales Invoice
Have you tried creating a PDF of other reports and transactions in Manager - does that work?

A. I tried the standard reports for the Sales Quotation and Sales Invoice, Customer Statements using 2 methods

1. Normal way and having Adobe open up showing the final product and
2. Printing to the software Application “Paperport”

Results:

1. Manager failed as described below
2. PDF Documents created with a blank cover page

B. I then tried the default report for:

a) All Ledger Transactions
b) Balance Sheet
c) Trail Balance
d) Profit and Loss Statement
e) Receipts And Payments Summary
f) Various Custom Reports

Results:

Had no problems Adobe opened up and nothing was wrong. No Problems

C. I tried the Sales Quotes & Invoices again with no luck the Manager program stops with the undermentioned error message.

Error Message Reads:

ManagerDesktop.exe has stopped working
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ManagerDesktop.exe
Problem Signature 02: 20.5.22.0
Problem Signature 03: 5eb60fa4
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 4.8.4150.0
Problem Signature 06: 5e176ed9
Problem Signature 07: 1693
Problem Signature 08: fd
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.DirectoryNotFound
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.100
Locale ID: 7177
Additional Information 1: 899b
Additional Information 2: 899bd3d3f5a1ef685165027150ba84a9
Additional Information 3: f8c2
Additional Information 4: f8c2957934e321f6fe85fc607151d819
Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-GB\erofflps.txt
End of error message.

Further to my statement above:

I’m busy with the Financial year of April 2019 to March 2020.

Yesterday, 10 May 2020 I actually had no problem in creating PDF files of all the Sales Invoices Issued for the year. So, it’s very frustrating that today I can’t get 1 Sales Invoice or a Sales Quote using the normal way of clicking the PDF button and saving
the file

Your answer is not clear. What do you mean by “standard report” and “normal way?” Neither terminology is used by the program. You seem to be distinguishing between a failure by Manager and success with Adobe Reader DC. But when the PDF button is used in Manager, the PDF file is created by an internal PDF generator, and no external program—such as Adobe Reader—is involved. So your report that opening files normally with Reader does not make sense in the context of reporting trouble with Manager.

As for your use of the Print button, presumably evoking a PDF creation option within the print dialog, that is entirely outside Manager’s control. You are not using any feature of Manager when you do that. You are using features of your operating system and/or printer driver, depending on your setup.

Here again, your response is not clear. What are you calling the “default report?” Tell us exactly what you did, using the program’s terminology. It would also help if you log into the forum, rather than responding through email. And post screen shots of error messages instead of transcribing them. (Their display often furnishes clues to the origins of problems.)

One additional question: Are you using a custom theme? If so, try using the built-in, Plain, theme and see if the problem persists.

Good morning Tut,

Greetings from the Covid-19 Lockdown in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate your help. In response to your questions I comment as follows:

TUT:
Your answer is not clear. What do you mean by “standard report” and “normal way?” Neither terminology is used by the program. You seem to be distinguishing between a failure by Manager and success with Adobe Reader DC. But when the PDF button is used in Manager, the PDF file is created by an internal PDF generator, and no external program—such as Adobe Reader—is involved. So your report that opening files normally with Reader does not make sense in the context of reporting trouble with Manager.

MY RESPONSE:

The default Application on my computer for viewing PDF files is the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

A “Standard Report” or a “Default Report” is one that is automatically built into the Application by the writers and creators of the application also known as a “Predefined Report”.

I quote:

“Manager Guide page 185 with the header: 4.8 Standard Reports, 4.8.1 Create reports reads:
Manager includes many predefined reports to summarize, analyze, and present transaction data. Access them in the Reports tab in the left navigation pane:”

End Quote

https://www.manager.io/guides/17993

The “Normal” way to create a PDF file for a quotation would be equivalent to the default way set by the writers of the programme, i.e. I have not seen any other way mentioned in any of the Guides or Instructions on how to use the Manager application.

Step 1. Main Menu

Select: “Sales Quote”

Step 2: List of Sales Quotes Created/Made out

Select: The “View” button for the relevant Quotation you want to convert/make into a PDF file

Step 3: PDF view of the quote generated within the Manager application

Select the “PDF” button

Step 4: Select the correct location and name for the PDF file you are about to create/make

Click the “Save” button

Step 5: If all works out then the pdf file is displayed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC while Manager reverts back to the built-in view of the PDF file.

OR

Step 1. Main Menu

Select: “Reports”

Step 2: List of Built in Standard Accounting Reports Automatically available within the Manager application.

Select: The “Balance Sheet” if you want to convert/make the Balance Sheet into a PDF file

Step 3: PDF view of the Balance Sheet generated within the Manager application

Select the “View” button for the relevant Balance Sheet you want to convert/make into a PDF file

Step 4: PDF view of the Balance Sheet generated within the Manager application

Select the “PDF” button

Step 5: Select the correct location and name for the PDF file you are about to create/make

Click the “Save” button

Step 5: If all works out then the pdf file is displayed in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC while Manager reverts back to the built-in view of the PDF file.

I quote:

“Manager Guide page 223 with the header: 4.11 PDFs, 4.11.1 Create PDF files of transactions and reports reads:

PDF (Portable Document Format) files of transaction forms and reports can be generated directly by Manager. While viewing any completed transaction or report, click on the PDF button near the top of the Manager window:

An internal PDF generator will create the PDF file. Standard operating system dialog options for naming and saving the file will be offered.”

End Quote

Now for the Sales Quotes and Sales Invoices the above procedure results in the error message as already given in detail.

TUT:
As for your use of the Print button, presumably evoking a PDF creation option within the print dialog, that is entirely outside Manager’s control. You are not using any feature of Manager when you do that. You are using features of your operating system and/or printer driver, depending on your setup.

MY RESPONSE:

This was purely for information purposes to show that when printing it is successful in saving a PDF file to the computer, besides the unnecessary blank cover pages. This is not a problem and does not require any help in fixing.

TUT:
BrianGD:
I then tried the default report for:
Here again, your response is not clear. What are you calling the “default report?”

MY RESPONSE:

Same as above:

A “Standard Report” or a “Default Report” is one that is automatically built into the Application by the writers and creators of the application also known as a “Predefined Report”.

I quote:

“Manager Guide page 185 with the header: 4.8 Standard Reports, 4.8.1 Create reports reads:

Manager includes many predefined reports to summarize, analyze, and present transaction data. Access them in the Reports tab in the left navigation pane:”

End Quote

TUT:
Tell us exactly what you did, using the program’s terminology.

MY RESPONSE:

If you have actually used the Manager Application and read the Guide there is not many steps or different ways to create and save a PDF file so your question sounds irrelevant.

TUT:
It would also help if you log into the forum, rather than responding through email. And post screen shots of error messages instead of transcribing them. (Their display often furnishes clues to the origins of problems.)

MY RESPONSE:

As this was my very first time of using the Forum, I have learnt.

TUT:
One additional question: Are you using a custom theme? If so, try using the built-in, Plain, theme and see if the problem persists.

MY RESPONSE:

No, I am not using a custom Theme.

Now if you have read everything carefully and slowly you would understand that the actual problem is that I am unable to generate Sales Quotes and Invoices in the PDF file format as the Manager Application stops working as is very clearly indicated to you in the error message as given.

I thank you for all of your time, help and assistance in this matter

Keep safe
Yours Sincerely
Brian du Plessis

A search of the error message displayed (System.IO.DirectoryNotFound) seems to indicate the problem lies in a missing folder or an inaccessible folder

This could be a folder where you are trying to store the pdf - perhaps you do not have access rights or a folder which Manager needs/uses

Exactly when does the error appear appear - when you click on the PDF the next screen shows the Windows Explorer window so that you can select the folder, do you get this window or does the error appear immediately after you click on the pdf button

You don’t need to answer the question in the manner you have done so far - it makes it quite confusing to have to scroll down to get the information

An image of the screen is a much quicker way to show what you are doing and easier to understand

Have you installed Manager in the default location as indicated in the guide or have you selected a different location?

There may well be a missing component either from manager or your Windows installation

Another possible problem is that the error msg CLR20r3 is seemingly linked to problems with UNICODE fonts and possibly .NET Framework issues

You could try the solution listed here Manager Program not working - #17 by Brucanna

Manager is working on many PC running Windows 8 so if it is not running properly on yours it is most probably a problem with your setup and not a bug in Manager itself

@BrianGD, thank you for the additional information about what causes your problem. Several things are now clearer:

• Your original description, which seemed to imply Adobe Reader was involved in generating PDFs, was misleading. You happen to be using Reader to view PDFs. They are still generated—when using the PDF button in the program—by the internal generator. But I now understand what you mean when referring to default, normal, and standard reports and processes.
  • The error message shown in your screen shots was not generated by Manager. It was generated by your Windows operating system. (That’s why I asked for an actual screen shot.)
  • @Joe91’s suspicion about needing to update your .NET framework is a good one. Follow the link he sent and make sure you are at least at v4.6.1.

Did you ever install Manager in a location other than the default location? And did you ever change the application data path on your Preferences page?

Hi Tut,

I have finally found a way to fix the problem that I had.

I’ve tried to show the resolution in the attached screen shot.

Select the “My Computer” icon and right click

1. Select “Properties”
  2. Select “Advanced system settings”
  3. Select the “Advanced” tab
  4. Select “Environment Variables”
  5. Highlight the “TEMP” line and go to point 7
  6. Highlight the “TMP” line and go to point 7
  7. Edit and/or change the Value to: “C:\Temp”
  8. Click “OK” twice and reboot

This solved my problem and now when in the “Manager” Application under Quotes or Sales Invoices I can once again select the “PDF” button and continue without any errors.

Thanks for all of your patience, help and guidance.

Keep Well and safe during the lock-down.

Regards
Brian

Hi All

I am having this issue with the latest version on Manager on MacIOS Mojave 10.14.6

I am currently using Manager 20.10.93 and if I use the PDF button to say print or save an invoice in PDF, then Manager goes white and shuts down. I don’t seem to be able to get past it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks so much

No, @JonathanL, you are not experiencing the same issue. This topic was about a problem in the Linux version. A year later, it was hijacked for a Windows problem that was unrelated. Both were fixed long ago.

Your issue is a known bug with obsolete versions of macOS. See Crash when creating pdf on Mac after installing Ver 21.1.23. That very lengthy thread includes discussion of several related problems, describes the developer’s dependence on a third-party software fix, and gives workarounds.

I am closing this topic.