Payslips Not Cloning Properly

I just shifted my payslips to Manager. The problem i am facing while making entry is that whenever i clone a payslip, Manager only clones the single line item, the date is changed to current, and description shows blank. I wonder why this is happening. I am using 10.78 version. Moreover i would like ask that Payslips Items have options for Tax Deduction and deduction items only show liability accounts. Is it possible to setup ‘Leave Deductions’ etc in the same account or should i manage such deductions externally? Another thing i just found out is that in ‘recurring pay slips’ menu when i select recurring interval to be one month, the system puts an interval for 30 days and does not accounts for actual month, this creates a false payslip date for months with 31 days and surely will create an issue in February too. So i have to edit all such dates and thus it becomes a time taking and hectic task.

First, Manager clones all payslip items, not just a single line item.

Second, the date is changed because you are entering a new payslip on a different date. Leaving the old date in place would corrupt financial reports from earlier periods.

Third, the summary-level Description field shows blank because that field is normally used to indicate a payroll period. Duplicating the description from a previous payslip would not be appropriate. However, before you enter payslips for a given payroll period, you can change the Description field under Form Defaults to reflect the current period. That way, all payslips created will have the new description without individual editing. Be careful, though, if you set up recurring payslips, because they are based on the individually created recurring payslips, not the basic payslip form defaults. Recurring payslips will not show any description for the reason mentioned above.

They do. You can define a deduction item for any purpose, including a tax deduction. Have you read the Guide on payslip items: https://www.manager.io/guides/9667?

I’m not sure what you mean. Deduction items show the built-in Payroll liabilities account by default. If you create other liability accounts, those will also show. (Built-in liability control accounts, like Accounts payable, do not show because these would not function correctly with other aspects of the program.)

By definition, deduction items must go to a liability account, because they represent amounts the business is deducting from an employee’s pay as the agent of an outside entity, such as a tax authority. The amount deducted belongs to that outside entity, not the business, so it is a liability you owe to the entity on behalf of the employee.

Your question is not clear. What do you mean by leaving deductions in the same account? Are you referring to leaving them in the default accounts assigned when you create one? If so, the answer is yes, that is where they normally belong.

This is not what the program actually does. Instead, it sets up the recurring transaction for the same date of the following month, as long as the following month has such a date. If it does not, it moves the transaction forward to remain in the desired month rather than allowing it to slip into the next month. The subsequent recurring transaction then occurs on that date until an even shorter month is encountered. This has been discussed in the forum previously. See, for example: Recurring Set up Date for month end payslip,,,,.

Currently, if you want recurring transactions to always be on the same day of the month, they must be set to occur on days 1-28. Remember, the payslip is only the transaction by which the amounts earned, deducted, or contributed are recorded. It does not record payment of the employee. See https://www.manager.io/guides/9768.

1 Like

Actually i was saying that for example i have to deduct an amount from an employee’s salary on account of the leaves (Take offs) he/she has availed, in this scenario i would not want such a deduction to appear in liability section, as i am not paying any external entity. So how will i handle that?
Currently i am doing this

Is this alright?

And Thank you for such a comprehensive response. :slight_smile:

Your approach works from a financial perspective. However, I recommend establishing a separate earnings item for absent days rather than entering it as Monthly Pay. You might want to assign that item to a separate account for tracking purposes. It will be a contra account (meaning it will normally have a negative balance to offset the Wages & salaries account). But that is optional.

I notice that your screen shot shows this entry on a recurring payslip entry form. That is not a good idea, because every payslip will then contain the absent days deduction, whether or not there should be one.

It is also worth mentioning that this approach assumes the standard monthly salary is actually reduced when the employee is absent. Manager does not have the ability to accrue paid time off and deduct days used from days earned. In that situation, the monthly salary would be earned and entered on the paysliip and absent days would be tracked outside the program.

Oh sorry about that i accidentally entered that in the recurring payslip menu, was just showing you. Yes contra account approach is better. I think then its better to track the absents externally and just add final amounts to manager just for the sake of accounting. Thanks man you are the best!

These statements are contradictory. Using a contra account means you must enter the absent days in Manager as you showed. You would only do that if monthly pay is reduced for absent days. External tracking of allowed time off with pay is only required if monthly pay remains the same. In that case, no absent day reductions are entered and no contra account is necessary.

You can, however, make the absent day calculations manually and only enter the reduced pay, if that is how your pay policies are structured.

Okay i will look in to it. Thank You!