New Unit Price decimal place limit/truncation causes rounding issues

Hi there,

I’ve recently noticed that at some point since (I think) the end of last year there has been a low limit placed on the number of decimal places which are effective when calculating the Total from multiples of a Unit Price which has many decimals. It appears the limit is now 3 decimal places, whereas in the past I was able to use many more than this; if I go back and edit old entries which have many decimals, their total calculation will update to the new rounded calculation if I touch the long decimals in any way. May I ask why this was implemented, and whether it can be configured?

In my case, it’s making two scenarios more challenging/impossible to enter data accurately.

1. The first is when creating purchase invoices from a supplier who uses 5 decimal places (small electronic components must be accounted in this way as their individual price can be that low). When ordering qty’s which don’t happen to multiply to exactly 2 decimal place totals, the rounding is often out by more than $0.01.
  2. The second is when buying source material by the kilogram, which is later sold by the gram. Previously I was using the inline division functionality during line item creation to convert kg to g price and multiplying my purchase qty by 1000. This one is a little easier for me to get around in future, as I can convert to invoicing in 0.001kg rather than 1g increments, however it means I have to convert all my existing affected inventory entries to kg, and then manually convert every line item using those in previous invoices to 0.001kg. Even then, wouldn’t some situations yield rounding errors again on the sale-side?

I have checked this behaviour is not affected by changing the decimal setting for the base currency. Is there another setting elsewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Manager v21.7.18

This was recently fixed by @Lubos, your version was one having that extreme truncation. You need to update Manager (v21.7.28 19 July 2021 just checked 7.25am GMT).

*Chef’s kiss *
Molto Buona
(This is from 21.7.28)

Thanks for the quick reply.
When I checked the releases page earlier today and saw 21.7.18 was missing I figured it was most recent…didn’t check the main download page, doh!
For future reference is there another page which has the most up to date info for changes/fixes like this, or is it just a case of having an ear to the ground here on the forum?

And yes!

1 Like