Manager can not open files of this type

Using Mac with OS X El Capitan.

I can not open 2015 or 2014 files. I think I moved them to a new folder. They do not appear when I open Manager. If I go directly to the file and try to open, I get the above message about file type.

I went to info and tried to change location of data file but says it is not a good directory.

Need to revise 2015 and hate to have to renter everything.

Thanks

@ehd, you are making a fundamental mistake. You should not have separate files for different years. Manager is a perpetual system that keeps all your records in a single file. Otherwise, the permanent accounts (the balance sheet accounts) will not be correct. If you are going through the old-fashioned process of closing accounts and then re-opening books in the new accounting year, you are making a huge amount of extra work for yourself. All you need to do is reset the Summary period for the new year and create new reports for those you use (which you would have to create doing it the hard way, too). This way, accounts payable and receivable carry over without the need to re-enter invoices, etc. And you can create comparative year-to-year reports.

You can read more about this in these topics: Unclear on Year-end procedures and Reset Cash & Bank for new year.

The actual problem you report comes from the fact that you cannot open Manager data files directly. They are called by the program, but the program does not know where to look for them. You should be able to open them by importing them as a backup using the Add Business button and navigating to them. This will create a different business in your existing Manager folder.

I don’t know whether there is any way to merge the three years of data back into one proper file. You will have to ask @lubos about that.

OF COURSE, BACK UP YOUR CURRENT ACCOUNTS AT A SEPARATE LOCATION BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

Thanks for your quick reply. I like the idea of just setting the summary period instead of separate years.

I just tried to import my manager file under add business but got the following:

Manager.SerializationException: Exception of type ‘Manager.SerializationException’ was thrown.
at Manager.Upgrade.Process () [0x00000] in :0
at Manager.ApplicationData.Get (Guid entityId) [0x00000] in :0
at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Business.Start.Get () [0x00000] in :0
at HttpFramework.HttpApplication.ProcessRequest (HttpFramework.HttpRequest request) [0x00000] in :0
at ManagerServer.HttpApplication.ProcessRequest (HttpFramework.HttpRequest request) [0x00000] in :0

I tried to change the path to have the “program call the file” but that did not work. Is there a way to edit the preference or have it search for the file to call? Also can I open the OS X file on Windows machine?

Thanks again.

Ed

Your trouble stems from having files in the wrong folders, and possibly with the wrong names (if you’ve renamed them). You are beyond my ability to troubleshoot this remotely. I will invite @lubos to join this thread. He may want to arrange a team viewer session to help you sort it out. (Or he may have simple instructions.)

As for the Windows question, Manager can open a business on either platform from the same file, but you must have the same versions on both machines, so you could be in trouble there.

BTW, he’s in Australia, so there may be some time lag.

I tried the cloud version and imported my file and it worked. Thought problem was solved.

Now when I go back to the desktop version I get the same Serialization error.

Can I reset Manager and move my file to a default location?

Manager.SerializationException: Exception of type ‘Manager.SerializationException’ was thrown.
at Manager.Upgrade.Process () [0x00000] in :0
at Manager.ApplicationData.Get (Guid entityId) [0x00000] in :0
at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Business.Start.Get () [0x00000] in :0
at HttpFramework.HttpApplication.ProcessRequest (HttpFramework.HttpRequest request) [0x00000] in :0
at ManagerServer.HttpApplication.ProcessRequest (HttpFramework.HttpRequest request) [0x00000] in :0

@ehd, the error shows you are trying to import Manager data in some very old version. Upgrade to the latest version on your Mac OS X and it will fix your problem.

Unfortunately these older versions are out in the wild. I can’t modify this ugly error but newer versions already explain to upgrade if this happens.