Hi, I noticed that I could not get smtp-auth to work. As I run my own mail server I could check on both ends what went wrong. The problem is that “Test email settings” button does not actually uses the password that was entered. It uses the password that was last confirmed.
So lets say I enter password “1234”, click “Confirm”. Then I find mail does not work, I go back to “Mail settings”, and change the password to “aaaa”. If I then click “Test email settings”, Manager tries to quthenticate using “1234” and not “aaaa”. I think this is not intuitive, as I would expect Manager to use that content of the password field that I entered at that time (in this case “aaaa”.