Lost data after reinstall?

\I’ve just reinstalled Ubuntu 14.04 on my computer. I chose the option to install alongside the current version so as not to lose data but when I restarted the computer the “Manager” icon and all data seems to have gone. I have tried to use the “install backup” tab but it asks me to choose a file and I don’t know where to look for the data file I need.

Can anyone help with this? I’m not very computer savvy so use small words!

I think data is stored in ~/.local/share/Manager, where ~ is your “Home” and .local is a hidden folder.

When you browse for your backup and the window loads showing the file browser, press CTRL+H to enable view of hidden folders. Next, make sure you click “Home” on the left navigation panel to be in the right place. Navigate into .local, then share, then Manager. If Ubuntu preserves data the way I think it should, you should see the .manager file in there.

Take wisdom!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I would never have found that without your help. I’d no idea about hidden files!
I have now restored all my data and have all the relevant billing information for my business.
Guess I’ll be making backups manually to a flash drive from now on.

1 Like

That’s awesome to hear, DaveE. Now we both know.

is there any backup, restore and search for data features ?

The backup button is at the top right-hand corner of the page when viewing Manager.
Click on “add business” on the start-up page and you have the option to import backup.
My problem was with finding the backup as I had not saved it manually but Jamesaepp sorted that out for me!

1 Like