Line custom fields width need more improvements

Create a new line field at purchase invoice, e.g “custom field 1” and select “medium” for size, the column width at the entry screen would be small whatever you select size while creating this field.
to add more width, edit the field’s name, e.g you can rename it “__________ custom field 1___________” and you will see the change.
the problem is “input/edit screen appears inconsistent and untidy” unless you rename the field to have more space.
@lubos Kindly, improve the custom fields to activate line filed size based on the selected choice while creating.

Please illustrate this with screen shots. Also, state whether these are classic or new style custom fields you are referring to.

I admit, I do not know whether the program has been changed in this regard, but originally field size selections had no effect on line-item custom fields. They were simply ignored. The only reason the option appeared when defining a line-item custom field is because the same input form was used for all custom fields. I believe the reason for this was the need to maintain overall integrity for line-item layout. (Add too many fields of too large a size and you cannot manage a column arrangement for data.)

Both, classic and new custom fields (line custom field).

It’s never been working right, but will it be like this forever?!

Therefore, it requires more improvements.

While the width may not be sufficient for you @Ehab, but this is by design since a lot of users complain about horizontal scrolling.

The dilemma is this:

• Keep line fields wide enough → Some users complain of horizontal scrolling

• Reduce horizontal scrolling → Other users complain about field text wrapping.

I don’t think there will ever be a way around this because after all it’s a matter of preference.

However, I can see how the vertical alignment makes the screen a bit “untidy”.

If this is what you mean then I agree since not only does it not look right, sometimes when text wraps into 3 or more lines, the alignment issues can become confusing.

But this issue can be solved without changing the field widths.

If the move line icon and custom fields were aligned to the top, would this set things right? @Ehab

If I understand correctly what you mean, I can say NO.
If the field width is affected by how long the field name is, why aren’t the field width selections activated from the setting?
There is no logic to have “field size” selections that have no use.
The simple idea here, enable it or clear it!
In fact, having this option enabled is better than not having it.

But there is, the field size applies when the custom field is not in the lines. See the following examples:

Small size custom field

Medium size custom field

Large size custom field

As for the lines, there are design and ergonomic limitations to the field size and it is determined dynamically instead of statically.

@Ehab, this is nitpicking and it doesn’t make any sense at all. What you are suggesting is that existing functionality be removed.

Remember this applies for non-line custom fields and you can have the same custom field placed in the lines and outside of the lines at the same time as I made sure to include in my examples above.

No need for these examples, the topic is about line custom fields specifically.

@Ealfardan, I said also “ having it is better.

Thanks @Ealfardan, I hope I explained the situation well.

That’s exactly the point: there are no separate line custom fields anymore. Custom Fields are now shared.

1 Like