Is it Possible to have Manager Server running in Open Media Vault?

As per topic, I think I remember someone did run manager server in NAS device…

Since Open Media Vault Is Debian based should I assume no issue, as long mono are installed?

by following lubos’ guide.

https://www.manager.io/server/installation/ubuntu/

I experimented with OMV some time ago, and yes, Manager installed and ran very nicely on it using the standard server install procedure for Ubuntu

Thanks xero50 at first I’m looking at linux mint cinnamon desktop environment on. ended up too heavy for a 2 gb ram. After looking at ubuntu sever a lot needs to set up.

Then look at Freenas too high of requirement. ended looking at open media vault seems right. and lightweight.

fiddling around for setup a bit rough than linux mint and ubuntu server and desktop. pretty much get some idea that I need ssh client in windows to tinkering a bit easier.

xero your opinion should I stick with ubuntu server and set it up from scratch or just go with out-of-the-box os like OVM? Long term for mini office use and home server.

I’m used to wamp,syncthing,openvpn,bitvisessh,realvnc,easeustodobackup, firedaemon, mostly are GUI though.

I already have windows 10 pro as my manager server and sync server for backup. The only issue with it is connection limit.

I am probably not the best bloke to ask about that sort of thing.
Being a GNU/Linux die-hard luddite, I tend to use GNU/Linux for all of the things, and have very little experience of windows etc etc.
That said, what sort of hardware resources are you thinking of devoting to this project ?
How many users of Manager?, and what other services will the server be providing ?
What you have available in terms of hardware will possibly also dictate to you the direction you should go in…

Mint is what it is at then end of the day - - a polished desktop computing OS and graphical desktop environment. There are plenty of Linux choices available of course, and most of them will use allot less than 2Gb ram. Personally I tend to use either Mate or Plasma just at the moment for a desktop environment, but for server purposes am old and crusty enough not to feel the need for a desktop environment on a server.

If using windows, I gather that applications like Putty or Zoc are the sorts of things people use these days. Also, microsoft have their dot-net-framework tools and things like Ubuntu apps (for Win-10) which I am told offer most of the basic tools you need from within the windows powershell with which to cast your ssh foo…personally I have had no experience of using them though.

If it was me, I’d just pick my server distro, say Ubuntu or Debian or Centos and just have-at-it…As these are places where I personally feel reasonably comfortable it is an easy thing for me to say, and I do understand that making such changes from say a windows type computing environment is not always that easy for many people.

Other considerations would be whether this server is to be used on a LAN only or is to be exposed to the public internet. The administration requirements of any machine/server exposed to the public internet are typically orders of magnitude higher that a “LAN only” setup, and if you have a business or other processes on which a business and people’s livelihoods are dependent then the whole thing needs to be kept on top of. In such cases using the Manager Cloud Edition would be an option to seriously consider.

OMV is a very feature-rich distro and offers a whole raft of modular items that can be used for business and home. Based on Debian you can’t really go far wrong but it is very much for ‘hands-on’ people even in a home type environment.

1 Like

I run it on a Synology Nas through Docker.

1 Like

I have used to windows to the point, I have not worry for malfunction of hardrives. I have like 2 desktop and 1 laptop at disposal.

With Manager’s design to export the data to the point I have not worry to immediately recover from it.

Currently I’ve succeed running manager server however, mono installation had to be done using debian’s repository… no issue here. In the end of the day have to fiddling around (Almost cracked my head with ubuntu’s source file errors). Lucky enough I’ve used to bitvise ssh client and the open media vault ssh server, is out of the box ready made. Immediately skipping to Manager Server Installation. Funny, I still need windows to manage linux server. @xero50 after sometime I think I get the idea what kind of ‘server’ I’m looking at quick enough for deployment and easily to replicate.

@davide do you usually build from scratch for docker everytime the manager needs to be update? at first when procsum mentioned about docker, I can’t wrap my head around how it will beneficial. Now When I’m running OMV, it needs quick re-deployment and system migration. Just realized it.

I hope that you don’t take this as being off topic, but I was working with some people today (basically a bunch of server administrators) and was introduced to their preferred go-to tool for managing their various server installations, called “Cockpit” - https://cockpit-project.org/
I thought of our recent discussions about administering Linux servers and thought that I’d recommend it as a possible solution for you.

1 Like

open media vault seems a bit buggy. I changed to lubuntu as I’m not comfortable not able to see the directory tree structure seamlessly since I am Windows user.

Funny enough I can’t install manager using .deb package had to install using server edition method which is what I wanted.

I got stuck at the point where lubuntu does not have root account, and I can’t access root folder via gui. to copy the manager data.

Thank you for telling me about cockpit, I’m still figuring out how to access webmin… lol.

One thing at a time just like what I did with windows.

When working with a desktop type distro like Lubuntu, you do not have a root account as such. Instead you use the user account that you created when you did your installation and the sudo command which allows you to run the desired command as the root user. When you use sudo, you will be asked for a password which will be the one that you chose when you did your installation.

Using a GNU/Linux distro with a graphical desktop environment on a client device makes administering servers without a graphical environment very easy. Either way this could be installed either on the bare metal of a client machine or in a virtual machine, (they will basically behave the same). You can the mount the server’s file system in the graphical file manager of the client device and manipulate things from there should you wish to do so.
That being said, you should not actually need to access the root file system in order to install Manager Server, instead, if and when needed, just use ‘sudo’ to elevate your default user’s permissions to permit the administrative or installation tasks that you wish to perform. The elevated privileges will be returned to ‘normal’ after the completion of those tasks.

Using a suite of tools like Cockpit is perhaps an alternative for many people as it allows access to the server running it from pretty-much any modern web-browser.
I have not seen Webmin in use for a good many years, and whilst I am sure that Webmin is still a viable and useful tool, it is probably not the ideal thing to use for administering a server primarily used for Manager.

I don’t know what part of the world you are in, but you will probably find that near to you there will a be a ‘Linux User Group’ (LUG) which will be a loose collective of people who are Linux enthusiasts and meet together to share and pool their knowledge. You will find these groups all over the world, and they are a wonderful and most useful resource for learning from people who really do know their stuff. There are no barriers to entry to LUG’s.

In area I’m staying, to meet someone who knows Linux very low in probability, if I found one, he already at level of a programmer for a certain company. So to find a group that has similar knowledge such as myself savvy level almost non-existent they rather stick with mac and windows less headache. Android group users pretty much you can find everywhere…

I’m used to (spoilt) bitvise ssh where most of it are gui readymade, that starting using openssh made me cringe alot.

Lubuntu get me start very quickly which I decide to made it as my homeserver. Plus stable update. Without hiccups somewhere like OMV with Mono installation which had error with weakref.py. then being clueless accidently remove python and all apps that are relied on python with autoremove crash the OMV.

Also I screamed my head for unable to understand how to edit text file with terminal using vim? Or nano? That is how I decided on lubuntu.