Installation of Server Edition on sinology

Is it possible to install the Server Edition on a Synology nas DS214+?

When it is possible; is there someone, who as an installation manual?

I can my way on Linux, so when the manual is quite technical, is no problem.

Thanks

There does seem to be a fair amount of information about installing Mono on Synology boxes

http://blog.hexad.dk/2012/03/mono-on-synology-nas-ds-211.html

If you do decide to try it, I for one would be interested to hear how you did it and how it performs

Well, I only just posted another thread and then did a search and found this. I’ve actually had manager installed for about a week, but I only just did a test run of it now since I just wanted to confirm it would work before going any further. It does! lol

I just don’t know how to integrate the service with upstart, if someone could add some insight there (anyone here using synology?) that would be great.

As for the install, up until trying to get the server running as a service, it went without hitch. Skipping the service part and running it, it works fine.

I hadn’t imported a business into it until I started this response. It seems to run quite smoothly and I can’t see any noticable difference in speed.

If you wanted to have Manager start automatically when starting-up your Synology, then add this before the exit 0 line to your

/etc/rc.local

/usr/bin/mono /usr/share/manager-server/ManagerServer.exe -port 8080 >>/dev/null 2>&1 &

As for starting and stopping the service (for example after updating), I cannot say

Yeah, for the moment that’s what I’ve done. It does the job, I’ll keep plugging away at it and work it out soon enough lol

Thanks @xero50

I’ve been thinking about this a little… Assuming that it uses Upstart, then I imagine that it would need to look something like this:-

create as root a .conf file in /etc/init - say “manager.conf”

sudo nano /etc/init/manager.conf

inside the file, it’ll have to look something like this:-

start on filesystem

exec /usr/bin/mono /usr/share/manager-server/ManagerServer.exe -port 8080 >>/dev/null 2>&1 &

symlink it to the /etc/init.d folder

sudo ln -s /etc/init/manager.conf /etc/init.d/manager

then, on a really good day, you can use ‘service’

sudo service manager start

to start the service

you may find that you will need to

chmod +x

here and there to make things execute

hope that helps…

can you please provide me a step by step installation procedure for synology?

Hi Xero50,

I think I was able to download Manager on Synology with this set of instructions:

Downloading Manager Server
Create folder for Manager Server
mkdir /usr/share/manager-server
Download the latest version of Manager Server.
wget https://mngr.s3.amazonaws.com/17.10.38/ManagerServer.tar.gz -P /usr/share/manager-server
Then untar downloaded ManagerServer.tar.gz using following command
tar -xzf /usr/share/manager-server/ManagerServer.tar.gz -C /usr/share/manager-server

But now I’m not able niether to start manager nor to start it as a service.

You wrote:

create as root a .conf file in /etc/init - say “manager.conf”
sudo nano /etc/init/manager.conf
inside the file, it’ll have to look something like this:-
start on filesystem
exec /usr/bin/mono /usr/share/manager-server/ManagerServer.exe -port 8080 >>/dev/null 2>&1 &
symlink it to the /etc/init.d folder
sudo ln -s /etc/init/manager.conf /etc/init.d/manager
then, on a really good day, you can use ‘service’

But the first problem. My synology doesn’t recognise nano as a comand. Can you help me?

OK - how you go about this will perhaps depend upon what client you are using.
That said,you don’t have to use nano, it is just that my preferred editor is nano.
When I do work like this, I tend to mount the file systems I am working with using SSHFS, so that then gives me the option and opportunity to use all the tools I have available in my client, and in turn don’t then have to worry about whether a certain thing/application is or isn’t installed on the server…For example, I also often use the GUI editor Pluma

Anyway, to install nano on a syno’ should be something like:-

ipkg update
then
ipkg install nano

you may find that you will need to edit the configuration if it doesn’t highlight the code as you would like.
The file to edit is
/opt/etc/nanorc
and it should just be a case of uncommenting some of the lines (usually near the bottom of the file)

After that, I guess that it’s just a case of whether your syno’ is running upstart or not or one of the other init systems…

What ssh client should i better use under windows? I use pitty

Putty should do just fine when you are using a windows client.

@xero50 I’ve done most of the things but I cannot start the service:

to start the service
you may find that you will need to
chmod +x

I guess that the first thing to try when you have got your installation done is to actually try and run Manager.
If that runs OK,m then you at least know you can then move on to seeing if you can get the automatic startup sorted.
If it doesn’t run, troubleshoot that first before dealing with any ‘refinements’ like autostart.
To my mind it then depends upon what init system your Syno’ installation uses. My earlier posts were made on the assumption that @d3mad was using an init system called upstart. That may or may not be the case for your installation, and there is little point in trying anything further until you know what you are dealing with as it will materially effect what you have to do and what files need to be edited and created.

I wonder if @d3mad would care to add any thoughts from his experience with this sort of thing

I followed the instruction and when I try to start, I get an error “TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘SQLite.SQLiteConnection’ threw an exception.”

Do you have also this error or starts it correctly at your site?

(I used an alternate port)

Let me firstly say that I am no expert - - - far from it
That said, could an error like come about because some of the software installed is intended for a different hardware platform (ie hardware is ARM based, and software is for x86) or maybe incorrect libraries have been installed or referenced… Just a thought…

Xero50 thanks for your reaction, I think you right about the argitecture.
Maybe that someone has a solution?

I’m working on it… hope to find a solution soon

Dave thanks in advance, would be top.

@smpons @d3mad @lubos

Now it’s finally working. First of all. I’m not a programmer neither a linux guy. Searching on internet I made a Docking repository that I was able to run in my Synology (and should run everywhere).

Some instructions on how to install and run it:

1. first of all you have to install Docker in your NAS through the app manager;
  2. Search for “manager.io” under the Register (repository). You will find a “devishian/manager.io” repository. It’s mine. It contains the last version of Manager;
  3. Double click to download it;
  4. Once it’s downloaded and automatically decompressed, you have to go under Images and double click the download image to install;
  5. Go under Advanced Settings to set “automatic restart” and the port manager will run. Set it to 8080 or whatever you want (under local setting);
  6. After you save all the Settings the Docker Repository will start and you will able to connect to you Manager Server at the IP of the NAS at port 8080.

That’s it

Davide

1 Like

Davide thanks for your solution. Unfortunately, my sinology hasn’t de possibility of Docker.