I have fashion-related inventory and internally, we want to keep track of product category/sub groups (e.g. Top, Pants, Skirt etc) and product info like SKU Code, Size, Color etc. Currently we only have about 180 items, but even now its starting to feel kind of hard to manage. Manageable, but there’s some friction to making it easy to use.
1- Currently, we created a custom field for each of them, i.e. Category, SKU Code, Size, Color, which is okay, except that currently the custom field does not appear as a column in the Inventory Items view.
2- This mean that we can’t search inventory based on the custom fields that we defined, in the Inventory Items view and in other form views like Sale Invoice and Purchase Invoice.
3- Also, currently, custom fields are not included when we try to export Inventory Items as CSV.
4 - What ended up happening is that we had to re-duplicate the SKU Code, Category, Size, Color information in the Name field in the inventory so that we can perform search, and easily find the right inventory for invoices.
SKU Code: SKU0001
Name: SKU0001 - Printed Cotton T-Shirt - Top - Blue - L
5- This works to a certain extend, but it feels kinda hacky. It would be great if the custom field feature gets extended to be
- searchable in Inventory Items view, so that I can filter my inventory based on Category for example, or search a product based on its SKU Code
- searchable in forms (for e.g., when looking for inventory items in Sales of Inventory Items Account in a Sales Invoice).
- Maybe the custom fields can appear in the search results, so that I can differentiate between product variants. (Size, Color, Materials etc)
- Allow custom field to be included as a column in views like Inventory Items
- Allow custom fields to be included templates like Sales & Purchase Invoice templates.
- Allow custom fields to be included in the exported CSV
At least these are some of things that we observed since we started using Manager.