Inventory Jump to next month

I need advise about inventory often jump to the next month. For example :

I did inventory write-off in 31 December 2022 like this :

But there are 2 items inventory jump into 02 January 2023, it appears when we generate PnL in January like this :

*Note : see reference number on that 2 pictures.

Anyone correct me?
Thank you

It would be due to negative inventory. Basically if you are writing off items that you do not own. Manager would not know at what cost to write them off until you purchase them.

But then Manager can’t insert expenses retrospectively based on some future transactions.

The inventory calculations are correct. But negative inventory is too complex that even if it’s correct, it’s not obvious what is going on. I have some ideas for the future.

You can check quantity ledger under Inventory Items tab to see if these inventory items went into negative. That will explain why these entries have been added at later date.

1 Like

yes, it’s very complex to manage process in inventory that affected by production, sales, purchase etc.

Now very hard to trace back about negative and to determine which purchase first or sales first or production first and our report are becoming less accurate.

Do you plan to add feature in manager about policy in inventory to manage process become easier?

1 Like

I agree with @ejjaadiargo on this post. Automatic delay of some inventory transactions make things a bit harder to trace and it covers up the root cause of inventory misstatements.

Did you try @Lubos recommendation to check under Inventory Items tab and click on any - quantity on hand, which shows all information to determine which purchase first or sales first or production first as you need?

@lubos for me, the current workflow is perfect. How in the world do you write off something you don’t have on hand? or use inventory you don’t have for production? There should be a warning system to prompt the user to resolve the inventory deficiency issue, every other thing is perfect.

2 Likes

I guess this :point_up_2: is how :slightly_smiling_face:

The problem as I see it is that Manager follows the ideal scenario – as you describe – even when the situation is less than ideal.

That could be a solution, but the warning system should be persistent, meaning not just a single alert before posting but instead something more nagging like a banner or a status or something.

Also, the unintentional effects of the original entry should be corrected after the user makes necessary adjustments. You can see this post to know what I mean by unintentional effects:

1 Like

conceptaually I agree with you @Abeiku, but practically, the entity are not always having perfect situation to do process sequantially in operations, productions and logistics caused by manythings (lack of man power, lack of man hours, small scale of company etc). I mean, it would be great if Manager can do control in sequantially process in productions, operations and logistics, like giving alert or blocking to the next step if there are lack of inventory balance, so these problems (jump to the next date/month,negative balance, hard to trace back) will not happened.

Agree with you @Ealfardan, because we are not always in ideal scenario. Also we need system helps us to prevent the unintentional input.

yes, we also hard to determine within a date.

Any solution for this anyway @lubos ?

A solution could be to show some indication inventory value update is pending missing input data. With that visibility, a step change in inventory value would be expected and appropriate when pending data is supplied.

good one , though I’ve used some softwares that allows transactions even if you have negative inventory balance

*I’d remodel your idea into some kind of minimum reorder level for the inventory items

• allow transactions on negative balance inventory in sense of both qty and cost ( using the last / current avg)
  • allow inventory reconceliation , Foods & baverage and other industrials always have a variance setting up this additional tab will help alot fixing qty and cost avg
1 Like

@Mahmoud_Mohsen1, Manager allows all transactions when inventory is negative. The discussion in this thread is about reporting of recovery from that situation.

There is no need for additional reconciliation.

I disagree , Inventory reconceliation will help alot in the sens of batch modification of the items writing on/off in one go
For example (real one) : accounting for coffeeshops/restaurants after the inventory monthly(periodical) count there will always be variances in many items the reconceliation panel can help with both importing (batch function) and processing the variance both ways ( writting it on/off) which in turn affects cost accounts & Inventory

It would save time and be more accurate escp.If you can include many diffrent branches as a coloumn in that reconciliation process
Imagine the need to work the variances for 60-70 items for 35 branches all of that in a matter of minutes

We use separate POS systems for the restaurants we support like most competing accounting software (you will know them). We use android tablets with a windows local server (we have erratic internet) for all restaurant transactions, inventory management, etc. We use the POS statistics to know typical information about what sells well, item profit margins, daily sales per waiter, etc. as part of our analysis how the businesses perform daily. We use Manager for accounting and tax purposes. Indeed some automation would be helpful but to update figures from the totals we generate from the POS is not that much work.

1 Like

Sales and Performance analysis I agree POS system exports/Dashboard would be enough
the inventory variance part is purely accounting though

I am confused because most restaurant POS systems have the ability to generate inventory variance/shrinkage reports (daily, weekly, monthly and yearly) because these are essential to idenitify discrepancies in use and sales of inventory.

these variances need to be settled from the inventory balnace in the accounting system
I used to do that when i was working in this field , do not you do the same?

No we do not. We use the inventory function of the POS and the variance reports. We only copy and paste the totals in Manager. When an external audit takes place the auditors use both the POS data which is very granular (lots of details) and the reports from Manager (VAT filing, P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash-flow, etc.). Manager is excellent for business tax preparation and to gauge the value of the business but is in our view far from ideal for sales in environments that have many transactions per day. A separate POS is far better in handling inventory and transactions while Manager is better to have a whole picture of the business, both are important.